Boot Order For Dual Boot

ColdFire169

Computer: Acer 1660G

BIOS Version: R01-B0

I recently bought an Acer 1660G desktop to use a small gaming server. The computer came with Windows 10 installed on its single ssd. I partitioned the ssd into two partitions and proceeded to install Ubuntu server on the second partition. The installation went fine Ubuntu shows up on the boot menu but not in the boot order menu in the bios. I want to be able to have the Ubuntu partition be the default boot partition so I can reboot the system remotely and have it load back into Ubuntu. I tried to change the boot order through efibootmgr in Ubuntu, which does apply while I am in Ubuntu but after a reboot the order goes back to having Windows first. Any ideas how I can get Ubuntu to boot first?

GRUB should have been installed when you installed Ubuntu. I think that's the "boot menu" you mention here?

18 minutes ago, ColdFire169 said:

The installation went fine Ubuntu shows up on the boot menu but not in the boot order menu in the bios.

I don't have a very clear picture of the problem you're having, but I'm guessing what you want to do is set up your BIOS to boot to GRUB, which I think is already happening, and then have GRUB handle choosing the OS. By default I believe GRUB boots to the last OS you booted to, but you can change it to always choose Ubuntu by editing /etc/default/grub and then running "sudo update-grub". The GRUB_DEFAULT variable will choose the default option in GRUB, either by number or by name, and that option will be launched automatically after GRUB_TIMEOUT seconds if you don't interact with the system.

More info on configuring GRUB is here: https://www.howtogeek.com/196655/how-to-configure-the-grub2-boot-loaders-settings/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, BobVonBob said:

GRUB should have been installed when you installed Ubuntu. I think that's the "boot menu" you mention here?

I don't have a very clear picture of the problem you're having, but I'm guessing what you want to do is set up your BIOS to boot to GRUB, which I think is already happening, and then have GRUB handle choosing the OS. By default I believe GRUB boots to the last OS you booted to, but you can change it to always choose Ubuntu by editing /etc/default/grub and then running "sudo update-grub". The GRUB_DEFAULT variable will choose the default option in GRUB, either by number or by name, and that option will be launched automatically after GRUB_TIMEOUT seconds if you don't interact with the system.

More info on configuring GRUB is here: https://www.howtogeek.com/196655/how-to-configure-the-grub2-boot-loaders-settings/

Bit of a delay on my response. I haven't been working on the server lately.

Yes, GRUB was installed with Ubuntu server, but that is not the boot menu I was speaking of. The boot menu I was talking about was the one you can load into while your computer is loading up before you load into an OS. From there you can choose what you want to boot into, i.e. Windows, Ubuntu, a bootable usb, etc. Specifically for me it's the ESC key to get there.

GRUB is not booting first. Windows always seems to boot first. GRUB_DEFAULT is set to Ubuntu server but that doesn't really matter since GRUB isn't the default boot option through the BIOS. It doesn't show up in my BIOS so I can set to be first in the boot order.