No… THIS is the CLEANEST Setup

mynameGeoff

Thanks to LG UltraGear for sponsoring this video! Learn more about the 45GR95QE at: http://bit.ly/3F2DD7u

We’ve made clean setups before, but always had to compromise. This time we’ve gone to extreme lengths to make sure unsightly cables are seen on this desktop.

How did you mount the wireless charging pads? I was considering doing something similar for a large portion of my desk but wasn't sure if they would equal out each other or cause problems. How far apart did you mount each coil from each other too to stay always or almost always connected? Thanks!!

I would totally buy this desk over others on the market. The only thing I would include is extra outlets build-in, although I'll be changing the concept of clean for practicallity.

I'm so sad that we don't get any plans or even a more detailed description on how the  desk was made, as someone who is in need of a new desk I would absolutly rent out all the necessary machinery to make it.

Im new to this so please bare with me. I have access to some tools to makesomething like this for myself could i have a blue print of this set up, so that i too my have the cleanest setup

22 minutes ago, MelonDoggo_ said:

I'm so sad that we don't get any plans or even a more detailed description on how the  desk was made, as someone who is in need of a new desk I would absolutly rent out all the necessary machinery to make it.

it was made by getting pieces of plywood in various thicknesses and cutting them out with a router and then screwing it together wtf. 
would take maybe an hour to draw up in sketchup, just do that.

It is interesting how many people ask for CAD files here. Honestly, you don't need CAD files to make something like this.

Getting the chargers to be X mm away from the table surface is as simple as measuring the thickness of the plywood and subtracting away X from that measurement and adjust one's router to said depth. Or one can do it even simpler. Just get an X mm thick sheet of plywood to start with. (At least my local shop has 2mm thick ply on the shelf.)

Ie, make it a sandwich.

A thin top layer for the table surface.

A thicker middle layer for cables and other junk.

And a bottom layer for added rigidity.

Cutting out the necessary shapes for the chargers and such in the middle layer isn't particularly tricky. Have a pencil? Just outline the devices, next you just need an appropriate saw and some patience. (patience is honestly the most important thing.)

Beyond that wood glue will suffice for bonding the top sheet to the middle one. And screws will work fine to attach the bottom sheet. (using glue for the bottom one won't be fun when you inevitably have to rearrange stuff inside of the table.)

One can also use a "simpler" approach for the stack up if desired.

As in, instead of cutting fancy patterns in the middle sheet. Just cut out a large open hole in the middle, such that the middle layer just becomes the outer trim for the table edge. Then fill in the gaps between the devices/cables where space is available. (Keep in mind that leaving a huge void in the table will make the thin top sheet sag noticeably, so just having the outer trim won't be ideal, you want posts/filler-pieces everywhere.)

One can also buy wood veneer or vinyl to personalize the finish further.

But in the end.

This isn't a hard project to pull off. Nor do one need much fancy tools.

(however, a hand router is nice for making nice perpendicular cuts, something that often is hard to do by hand with a saw. However, a band saw is also a nice tool for the job.)

I have seen a few people try this before, and I am glad we finally got a less janky version. That said, the desk flex did look a little annoying.

Proof of concept is neat, but A) We need to see an electric sit/stand version, and B) We need to be ablt to buy it!

How to send this video to my tech illiterate step dad that knows way more than me about woodworking (I know a bit but he's actually made furniture that doesn't fall apart unlike me who's just make weird sculpture things but at least I know how the tools work kinda... I don't do it much lol) to imply that his barnwood furniture is nice and all but something like this would be really cool to make together 👀 He's a very practical man so maybe he'd understand? I will have to think it over.

"You Either Die A Budget Build Man™, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become Blue Meanie" 😔

Budget Build Man™ was the name of my old custom PC Build may his cannibalized self RIP. Blue Meanie is my current custom PC build! Blue Meanie's pcpartpicker list is linked below 😁 Yes it is a Beatles reference. All of my devices (that I'm allowed to name) have references to various media I like. I have seen the Yellow Submarine Film... It is... weird... At least I got a good PC Name out of it!

Blue Meanie: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/UnseenUniverse/saved/pyqYNG - NAS Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/UnseenUniverse/saved/T8BGjX

What desk legs are used in this? they are nice.

2 hours ago, MaxNov said:

Would love to have files for the project

I have access to a big enough cnc 

And it be cool if I could replicate the desk for myself 

2 hours ago, 1 Gen Removed Canuck said:

I second getting the CNC / CAD files for it.

2 hours ago, MelonDoggo_ said:

2 hours ago, dari007 said:

Im new to this so please bare with me. I have access to some tools to makesomething like this for myself could i have a blue print of this set up, so that i too my have the cleanest setup

1 hour ago, Nystemy said:

It is interesting how many people ask for CAD files here. Honestly, you don't need CAD files to make something like this.

Here is the CAD file for the desk!

Thanks to our writer Jordan for formatting this so I could post it here.

LTT Cleanest Setup 2023 - public.dxf

2 criticisms:

That desk will sag over time without any sort of metal reinforcement in it and it'll be worse the more humid wherever you are.  Hollowing it out removed a ton of strength and plywood is not that good unsupported by itself.

Flat wireless phone charging means you're gonna miss a lot of notifications.  

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, trollingugames said:

How did you mount the wireless charging pads? I was considering doing something similar for a large portion of my desk but wasn't sure if they would equal out each other or cause problems. How far apart did you mount each coil from each other too to stay always or almost always connected? Thanks!!

It's easier than you might expect, we just laid each charger right up against the thinned out wood and then filled in each cavity with thin layers of foam until it was just about 1mm proud of the surrounding wood and taped it in.

The lower half of the sandwich isn't carved out at all where the chargers are installed, so there's solid wood pushing up the foam and as a result pushing the chargers and coils right up against the wood.

Any chance of a schematic/diagram of the underside layout for the charging coils/pad/phone-charger and the cable routes? Would love a diy project 

desk is already too thick

you are the king of minimal and you come up with this? your best idea was separate room computer. It's the endgame for a desktop. 

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

4 hours ago, KadMan said:

What desk legs are used in this? they are nice.

They seem to have vanished from Amazon since we bought them, but quite similar to these: https://geni.us/GSXvNu5 '

If you search Amazon for 'Metal box table legs" you should find some options, just watch out for all the bench legs that amazon sneaks into the results!

Sell them on LTT store!

Logistically I'm sure would be nightmare, just for the manufacturing alone. But I need this in my home!

Would anybody be able to help me find those inserts that were used for the desk IO? They look promising for a mod that I'm looking to do, but I haven't been able to find a plug with a port cut out of it either online or as a cad file.

I've been thinking about building my own desk.  I'm not going to hollow it out like you guys.  I was thinking of just gluing two half inch pieces of plywood together and having it be around 80 x 30 in area.  I'd have 5 legs for support.  Would that hold up, or would it be better to build a frame out of 2 x4's and just have one piece of plywood for the top?

Also, what'd was use to stain the wood?

Personally I would rank DYI Perk's desk build as equally clean (particularly if you include the 'invisible monitor').

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM