No… THIS is the CLEANEST Setup

mynameGeoff

Actually been working towards something similar to this, and getting very close. Except I'm using the Magnus Pro XL and I'm getting a Redwood desk top and modifying that for all my peripherals, including but not limited too: 4x USB 3.0 ports + 2 USB Type C ports, Audio Amplifer, analog to digital converters, HDMI 2 port switch, Wireless audio, wireless keyboard / mouse, areas to charge headphones etc.

knew you could put the powerplay mat under the desk but didn't realise you could put it upside down, as originally I was gonna remove the casing and put it in there. Putting it up side down saves so much hassle. The coils one is quite a interesting one also, might have to look into that as I use the Logitech G915 and alot of people have been complaining about powerplay, I think putting a coil of some sort inside would solve that but still gonna need a cable to access GHUB / provide updates to it.

On that thought does anyone know where we can buy those QI charging coils PCB's that Linus is using in the video?

Edit: Just found the coils here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASHATA-Wireless-Charging-Transmitter-Ultra-thin-default/dp/B07PNBJSMT/ref=sr_1_17?crid=1FK1A9QAVDW41&keywords=Qi+2+three+coil+wireless+charging+board&qid=1680687922&s=electronics&sprefix=qi+2+three+coil+wireless+charging+boar%2Celectronics%2C103&sr=1-17

My idea though of providing maintenance though is to use some Heavy duty gas springs, and open the desk up like a chest, and due to the placement of the monitors I can have them on a flat section of wood and the lift up section can be in front of it, further not compromising having to take the monitors off to modify / add & remove I/Os.

8 hours ago, Irresonate said:

Would anybody be able to help me find those inserts that were used for the desk IO? They look promising for a mod that I'm looking to do, but I haven't been able to find a plug with a port cut out of it either online or as a cad file.

I found something similar if it isn't exactly the same thing. On Amazon search "car USB flush mount" 

Are wireless keyboards and mouse that take AA or AAA batteries so terrible that they don't solve the problem as well as all the effort that goes into precision routing a desk? For the sake of a video, no doubt absolutely, but for the sake of de-cluttering a desk of wires I would look for a replaceable battery solution before digging through wood.

2 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

Are wireless keyboards and mouse that take AA or AAA batteries so terrible that they don't solve the problem as well as all the effort that goes into precision routing a desk? For the sake of a video, no doubt absolutely, but for the sake of de-cluttering a desk of wires I would look for a replaceable battery solution before digging through wood.

generally they have really crap latency, which for a gaming setup is a non-starter. 

I think the full computer built in to the table is a more compelling and adventurous project and a lot more 'no compromise' than this latest iteration. And a lot more video-worthy.

But what does 'no compromise' mean? No compromise on compute/game performance? On aesthetics? On uncluttered desk real estate?

Are gamers even into minimalist setups? I know this isn't a product, but if the idea were to become one, where is its market?

22 hours ago, Irresonate said:

Would anybody be able to help me find those inserts that were used for the desk IO? They look promising for a mod that I'm looking to do, but I haven't been able to find a plug with a port cut out of it either online or as a cad file.

Look for "d-series panel mount" or "d-type" connectors. I think they originated with Neutrik but there are tons of manufacturers now.

Is it only me that prefers things without batteries on a stationary setup, thus having to live with wires for mouse and keyboard? 

Also, that set up has no speakers or is Linus using *throws up in the mouth* the speakers built in to the monitor?

I want to make a similar desk but the thing that’s keeping me off is are those coils reliable? Like I don’t want to seal something inside my desk permanently that might not even last 6 months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Powerplay mat under the desk seemed like such a good idea that I had to try it myself. I don’t have a CNC machine, so I had to do the project using a ski saw, a chisel and a wood router. I couldn't get the bottom of the desk completely flat. The thickness varies from 2 millimeters to 5 millimeters. However, the mouse charges without any problems. Next, I have to try to see if I can mod the G915 keyboard..

c98fc3cb-2795-4e17-93de-c58e915aec21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey loved the video, I will be making my table out of a butchers block, I was wondering how you guys wired all the wireless charging pads, did you guys solder each wireless charger with positive and negative then the last charging hub had the usb c connection?  (Daisy chain)Or did you have a power source for each wireless charger individually? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 1:24 AM, Sande said:

Powerplay mat under the desk seemed like such a good idea that I had to try it myself. I don’t have a CNC machine, so I had to do the project using a ski saw, a chisel and a wood router. I couldn't get the bottom of the desk completely flat. The thickness varies from 2 millimeters to 5 millimeters. However, the mouse charges without any problems. Next, I have to try to see if I can mod the G915 keyboard..

c98fc3cb-2795-4e17-93de-c58e915aec21.jpg

Did you ever get the G915 modded?