Why is my PC power cycling?

D.G
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
15 minutes ago, D.G said:

This situation has happened with a different power supply and I thought it was that so I replaced it with the one I have now. It worked for around a month and then stopped working again. Not sure if that's sufficient though.

That definitely sounds more like to me the motherboard is on it's way out. Are you able to check the voltages? There is a tolerance of +/-5% for 12V and 5V and +/-4% for 3.3V. Keep in mind software voltages are not completely accurate so probing with a multimeter would provide actual voltage readings. 

My PC has been Power Cycling(?) for the past week now and I'm not sure what has caused it. When I press the power button, it will start the process of turning on, the fans will start spinning and the RGB inside will light up, and then after around 10 seconds it'll shut down and then wait 2-3 seconds before starting the process over again. It was working previously and this randomly started without anything happening that indicated something was wrong prior to it starting. Also I'm not sure if "Power Cycling" is the right way to describe the issue but it seems so? My PC's Specs in case needed:

RAM: 2x 4GB RAM

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP

Power Supply: 700W FX Pro ATX PSU

CPU: Intel i7-4790S

GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

If anything else is needed from me just let me know and I'll answer as soon as I can. Thank you.

Most likely, the motherboard is on it's way out or the power supply. Are you able to test with another power supply to see if it keeps power cycling?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Most likely, the motherboard is on it's way out or the power supply. Are you able to test with another power supply to see if it keeps power cycling?

This situation has happened with a different power supply and I thought it was that so I replaced it with the one I have now. It worked for around a month and then stopped working again. Not sure if that's sufficient though.

15 minutes ago, D.G said:

That definitely sounds more like to me the motherboard is on it's way out. Are you able to check the voltages? There is a tolerance of +/-5% for 12V and 5V and +/-4% for 3.3V. Keep in mind software voltages are not completely accurate so probing with a multimeter would provide actual voltage readings. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Sadly, I don't have access to a multimeter, and I wouldn't be able to use any software voltages anyway as the machine doesn't boot. I'm taking a guess that I'll have to get a multimeter or just take it to a repair shop to move forward on getting the issue fixed?

3 minutes ago, D.G said:

Sadly, I don't have access to a multimeter, and I wouldn't be able to use any software voltages anyway as the machine doesn't boot. I'm taking a guess that I'll have to get a multimeter or just take it to a repair shop to move forward on getting the issue fixed?

At this point, the system is pretty old and upgrading to a budget platform would be the next viable solution. They haven't made Z87 boards in years (pre-2015 when you could get a new one).

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

At this point, the system is pretty old and upgrading to a budget platform would be the next viable solution. They haven't made Z87 boards in years (pre-2015 when you could get a new one).

Well, in that case do you have any suggestions on what I could get that would still work with what I have now?

1 minute ago, D.G said:

Well, in that case do you have any suggestions on what I could get that would still work with what I have now?

Well, you'll definitely need to upgrade to something like a B-series motherboard, DDR4 and something like an i5-12400...it all depends on the budget, which leads me to ask what is your budget?

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Well, you'll definitely need to upgrade to something like a B-series motherboard, DDR4 and something like an i5-12400...it all depends on the budget, which leads me to ask what is your budget?

As of right now, my budget would be very limited, only around £100 at most. Preferably I'd just replace the motherboard, as the rest of the parts are good enough for my usage, though I can understand if that's an unreasonable expectation.

1 hour ago, D.G said:

As of right now, my budget would be very limited, only around £100 at most. Preferably I'd just replace the motherboard, as the rest of the parts are good enough for my usage, though I can understand if that's an unreasonable expectation.

Ah ok, yeah there isn't any room to upgrade with a budget of £100. You can try searching on eBay for a replacement Z87 motherboard, but know that they tend to be used and the life expectancy of them will be lower due to age.