HDD disconnects whenever I try to use it.

Poraf
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
49 minutes ago, Poraf said:

Update: the hard drive sometimes passes the Long Generic Test and sometimes it disconnects halfway through. I can't manage to run the fix on SeaTools since it also cuts halfway through. I also changed the power cables and the issue is still the same.

I'm kind of lost now, could this be caused by malware? Should I just bite the bullet and try to format the disk? I can still transfer small files but it seems that trying to access or even view any large file size (about several GB) disconnects the drive.

I doubt it's caused by malware. You can certainly try scanning your PC for malware, but I doubt it's software related. It seems like it's hardware related - probably the logic board, and I'd probably point to the controller as the root fault on the board, but it could be something else on the board that's at fault - cache perhaps, but I don't know if that would cause the drive to just instantly drop off. It might hang, or you would have corrupted data.

Hi, I'm having this weird issue with my HDD that whenever I try to use it in any way or form it disconnects and reconnects from my PC.

The issue started about a month ago but it has gotten progressively worse the past week. Before that I was still able to use it and even play games from the drive. But the past week and a half it has gotten to the point that it's become unusable, I can't even run a disk check or scan because it disconnects as soon as anything is done with it. I've also gotten an occasional "UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION" and "KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR" BSoD, but these have not been too frequent, I don't know if these have anything to do with this issue at all though. I was thinking about replacing the hard drive with an ssd but I can't even move the files I need. However my other SSD is working fine.

How should I approach this issue? All I've done so far is reseat the ram and reconnect/swap the SATA ports on the motherboard. I don't know how I should go with this, I didn't want to do anything drastic or spend too much money before I know how to move forward with this.

6 minutes ago, Poraf said:

Hi, I'm having this weird issue with my HDD that whenever I try to use it in any way or form it disconnects and reconnects from my PC.

The issue started about a month ago but it has gotten progressively worse the past week. Before that I was still able to use it and even play games from the drive. But the past week and a half it has gotten to the point that it's become unusable, I can't even run a disk check or scan because it disconnects as soon as anything is done with it. I've also gotten an occasional "UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION" and "KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR" BSoD, but these have not been too frequent, I don't know if these have anything to do with this issue at all though. I was thinking about replacing the hard drive with an ssd but I can't even move the files I need. However my other SSD is working fine.

How should I approach this issue? All I've done so far is reseat the ram and reconnect/swap the SATA ports on the motherboard. I don't know how I should go with this, I didn't want to do anything drastic or spend too much money before I know how to move forward with this.

You can try chaning the USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 port. If that doesn't work try using data recovery software to recover the lost data on the drive then reformat the Disk.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand, should I try taking out my HDD and try connecting it via a USB port and see if it connects properly there? Right now, the drive is being recognized by Windows but the moment I try to do anything with the files it disconnects/reconnects.

Try a different USB port on your computer and a different USB adapter/enclosure. Download Crystal Disk Info and see if you can get a health reading off the drive. I predict the drive is about to die though.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, Poraf said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand, should I try taking out my HDD and try connecting it via a USB port and see if it connects properly there? Right now, the drive is being recognized by Windows but the moment I try to do anything with the files it disconnects/reconnects.

If you read the SMART data off the drive using CrystalDiskInfo, or something similar, what shows up?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you read the SMART data off the drive using CrystalDiskInfo, or something similar, what shows up?

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Try a different USB port on your computer and a different USB adapter/enclosure. Download Crystal Disk Info and see if you can get a health reading off the drive. I predict the drive is about to die though.  

I've checked with Crystal Disk Info and this is what shows up right now.

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, Poraf said:

Is it possible for you to put it in an enclosure and connect through USB? Have you tried switching SATA cables as well? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

8 minutes ago, Poraf said:

This is very good, likely the issue is related to your cable, enclosure, or some other link in the chain. Your drive appears healthy. Replace said enclosure/sata cable/etc. and connect the drive, possibly to a different system and see if you can run check disk. Just because the drive is physically healthy does not mean the data on it is. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is very good, likely the issue is related to your cable, enclosure, or some other link in the chain. Your drive appears healthy. Replace said enclosure/sata cable/etc. and connect the drive, possibly to a different system and see if you can run check disk. Just because the drive is physically healthy does not mean the data on it is. 

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is it possible for you to put it in an enclosure and connect through USB? Have you tried switching SATA cables as well? 

I don't have a spare SATA cable or USB enclosure right now, but I'll try and get one asap. I'll update you guys as soon as I get one. But for now what should I do? Should I leave it as is? Or disable the drive in devmgm or take it out completely?

21 minutes ago, Poraf said:

But for now what should I do?

I would take the drive out of your system to prevent any system instability or further potential damage until a new cable/enclosure arrives. 

On 4/4/2023 at 5:40 AM, DrMacintosh said:

On 4/4/2023 at 5:31 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Sorry I'm late, but I swapped out the SATA cable on the hard drive for a new one but unfortunately the issue still persists.

42 minutes ago, Poraf said:

Sorry I'm late, but I swapped out the SATA cable on the hard drive for a new one but unfortunately the issue still persists.

I wonder if the controller is at fault. It might work long enough to read SMART data off of it, and that portion might show to be "good" or "healthy", but that data is not including how the circuit board components are doing. 

Try running the Western Digital Dashboard utility, one to see if you can run the tests at all, and two, to see what kind of errors it produces.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/10346#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjozMDgsInF1ZXN0aW9uSUQiOjEsInJlc3BvbnNlSUQiOjE1LCJndWlkZVNlc3Npb24iOiJUQVVqQlUzcSIsInNlc3Npb25JRCI6ImFIamhCVTNxIn0.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I wonder if the controller is at fault. It might work long enough to read SMART data off of it, and that portion might show to be "good" or "healthy", but that data is not including how the circuit board components are doing. 

Try running the Western Digital Dashboard utility, one to see if you can run the tests at all, and two, to see what kind of errors it produces.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/10346#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjozMDgsInF1ZXN0aW9uSUQiOjEsInJlc3BvbnNlSUQiOjE1LCJndWlkZVNlc3Npb24iOiJUQVVqQlUzcSIsInNlc3Npb25JRCI6ImFIamhCVTNxIn0.

Hi, is there a utility app I can use for Seagate instead, my hdd is a barracuda 1TB.

26 minutes ago, Poraf said:

Hi, is there a utility app I can use for Seagate instead, my hdd is a barracuda 1TB.

I apologize. I was thinking of Western Digital. 

Seagate does have an equivalent called SeaTools. 

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I apologize. I was thinking of Western Digital. 

Seagate does have an equivalent called SeaTools. 

Alright thanks. I ran the "self test" on Seatools and it marks the drive as passed though. There is something on the security tab when checking the drive details that says the drive is "Frozen"? Does this have anything to do with the issue or might this be completely unrelated?

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Edit: On another attempt at a "Short generic test" it disconnects early or halfway through the test. I'm in the middle of running a "Long Generic Test" right now and somehow it isn't disconnected yet.

Why is the OP talking about a internal SATA HDD, and you guys are talking about external USB one, in a USB enclosure, What’s going on?

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

Update: the hard drive sometimes passes the Long Generic Test and sometimes it disconnects halfway through. I can't manage to run the fix on SeaTools since it also cuts halfway through. I also changed the power cables and the issue is still the same.

I'm kind of lost now, could this be caused by malware? Should I just bite the bullet and try to format the disk? I can still transfer small files but it seems that trying to access or even view any large file size (about several GB) disconnects the drive.

9 hours ago, kokosnh said:

Why is the OP talking about a internal SATA HDD, and you guys are talking about external USB one, in a USB enclosure, What’s going on?

To be fair, I did not talk about that. I did suggest it as an option though, but I agree. Even if it wasn't clearly stated, it could be inferred that it's an internal drive.

49 minutes ago, Poraf said:

I doubt it's caused by malware. You can certainly try scanning your PC for malware, but I doubt it's software related. It seems like it's hardware related - probably the logic board, and I'd probably point to the controller as the root fault on the board, but it could be something else on the board that's at fault - cache perhaps, but I don't know if that would cause the drive to just instantly drop off. It might hang, or you would have corrupted data.

Edited by Godlygamer23

48 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Alright thanks. If the controller is the likely issue, I assume formatting the disk won't have any effect? And if not, is this still fixable on my own or should I take it to a specialist?

3 minutes ago, Poraf said:

Alright thanks. If the controller is the likely issue, I assume formatting the disk won't have any effect? And if not, is this still fixable on my own or should I take it to a specialist?

You'll have to take it to a shop that works on hard drives. You can try formatting it, but that might make it worse, and now you'll lose your data.

Alright, got it. Still, thanks very much for all these info. I'll probably take it to a shop and hope for the best.