Nightmare: After Windows 10 Support, What will I do with my Budget Windows 10 PC.

Goutham a nair

I Had a PC, Build with used parts and its my first Build (and I can't abandon it)

PC Spec:
Processor: Intel core i3 2120 (2nd gen)

Motherboard: ASUS p8h61-m lx3 r2.0

GPU: Intel HD graphics 2000 (1GB VRAM)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

Boot drive:120GB SSD

Other Drives:750GB Harddrive

160GB Harddrive

PSU: 500W

What Will I Do after the (2025) support of windows 10, Or can I use Windows 10 safely on that PC. (Its the No.1 Nightmare about that PC, It doesn't support Windows 11)

The Antivirus I use Windows Defender with Latest updates

You *can* install windows 11 on it,  

But 2 years from now, you're looking at this being a 13ish year old build, on an iGPU.  It's not gonna do much at that point.

Now's a good time to start saving up for something newer.  Even 10 bucks a month over 2 years will add up to a dramatically faster used PC by the end of that time.

You will still be able to use your PC.

Look for ways to install Windows 11 on unsupported devices. It's doable with little effort.

4 minutes ago, Goutham a nair said:

I Had a PC, Build with used parts and its my first Build (and I can't abandon it)

PC Spec:
Processor: Intel core i3 2120 (2nd gen)

Motherboard: ASUS p8h61-m lx3 r2.0

GPU: Intel HD graphics 2000 (1GB VRAM)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

Boot drive:120GB SSD

Other Drives:750GB Harddrive

160GB Harddrive

PSU: 500W

What Will I Do after the (2025) support of windows 10, Or can I use Windows 10 safely on that PC. (Its the No.1 Nightmare about that PC, It doesn't support Windows 11)

The Antivirus I use Windows Defender with Latest updates

Install Linux?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You can still use Windows 10 you know. When Windows 7 was EOL that didnt stop a lot of people from using it many years ahead and im still sure some still do.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Install Linux?

I don't like Linux Bro. I am not familiar with Linux.

3 minutes ago, johnt said:

You will still be able to use your PC.

Look for ways to install Windows 11 on unsupported devices. It's doable with little effort.

But, Is that stable/ Is there chance for crashing or like Microsoft saying "Installing windows 11 on unsupported pc can lead to damage your system" is there any with that?

4 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

You can still use Windows 10 you know. When Windows 7 was EOL that didnt stop a lot of people from using it many years ahead and im still sure some still do.

Is That Safe (Vulnerablilty) ?

6 minutes ago, Goutham a nair said:

Installing windows 11 on unsupported pc can lead to damage your system

Thats fearmongering. At most it could lead to instability, peformance issues or buggy drivers (or a lack there of) etc but damage... emotional damage maybe.

5 minutes ago, Goutham a nair said:

Is That Safe (Vulnerablilty) ?

Theres always going to be vulnerabilities even on the newest OSes. At the end of the day its all down to your knowledge of the dos and don'ts of using a computer (what not to download and where not to go).

On 4/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, Goutham a nair said:

Nobody is familiar with anything, until you decide to become familiar with it.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:55 PM, Goutham a nair said:

But, Is that stable/ Is there chance for crashing or like Microsoft saying "Installing windows 11 on unsupported pc can lead to damage your system" is there any with that?

No, but there is a chance a Windows Update will stop it working if they decide to use features only supported on newer CPUs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

Thats fearmongering. At most it could lead to unstability, buggy drivers (or a lack of them) etc but damage... emotional damage maybe.

Theres always going to be vulnerabilities even on the newest OSes. At the end of the day its all down to your knowledge of the dos and don'ts of using a computer (what not to download and where not to go).

But, First I hate One of the Microsoft's cruelty from newest OS, that is the shitty Windows 11 requirements.

When will Microsoft change the tight requirements

12 minutes ago, Goutham a nair said:

Lol there might be some truth to this if you plan to upgrade the device. Like self damage from Microsoft... which is fear mongering like someone else has mentioned.

I strongly recommend you perform a clean install of Windows 11 using Rufus to create a boot disc that doesn't require TPM verification. You may have to activate the system, but probably not. I wouldn't worry about that until much later.

9 minutes ago, Goutham a nair said:

But, First I hate One of the Microsoft's cruelty from newest OS, that is the shitty Windows 11 requirements.

When will Microsoft change the tight requirements

It was a shitshow when they announced the requirements and my main system doesnt support 11 at all. It is what it is, everything is advancing and we eventually have to play the catch up game! I'll probably use Windows 10 even after 2025 as currently I don't need to upgrade anything, hardware is getting outdated yes but it still satisfies my needs.

3 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

It was a shitshow when they announced the requirements and my main system doesnt support 11 at all. It is what it is, everything is advancing and we eventually have to play the catch up game!

Don't be a Downside Bro. We will struggle to that Microsoft With the Shit requirements. Remember that, Some poor people (poor income) have some minds for Building Budget PC like before 8th gen PC's or 2nd gen Ryzen PC (Totally Unsupported PC's). So we will struggle for that at Microsoft Community section. For the subject of Microsoft strict Requirements. 

Maybe, God will give a chance

20 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

It was a shitshow when they announced the requirements and my main system doesnt support 11 at all. It is what it is, everything is advancing and we eventually have to play the catch up game! I'll probably use Windows 10 even after 2025 as currently I don't need to upgrade anything, hardware is getting outdated yes but it still satisfies my needs.

12 minutes ago, Goutham a nair said:

Don't be a Downside Bro. We will struggle to that Microsoft With the Shit requirements. Remember that, Some poor people (poor income) have some minds for Building Budget PC like before 8th gen PC's or 2nd gen Ryzen PC (Totally Unsupported PC's). So we will struggle for that at Microsoft Community section. For the subject of Microsoft strict Requirements. 

Maybe, God will give a chance

downer* 

Unfortuantely your gonna have to live with these requirements, microsoft doesn't care about a little thread in a tech forum. Also windows 7 and 8 were discontinued for updates pretty recently (this year start) and they released in 2009 and 2012 repectively. Using windows 7 as reference gives you nearly 6 more years of security updates. Maybe enough to upgrade (just thinking). Even if we are going off windows 8 timeline theres still at least 3 years left. Also many people will complain and they might have to extend the updates further on. Finally, there are many unofficial ways to update to windows 11 with unofficial software and even ltt did a video about it

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

30 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

also how do you still have the april fools pfp?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, filpo said:

downer* 

Unfortuantely your gonna have to live with these requirements, microsoft doesn't care about a little thread in a tech forum. Also windows 7 and 8 were discontinued for updates pretty recently (this year start) and they released in 2009 and 2012 repectively. Using windows 7 as reference gives you nearly 6 more years of security updates. Maybe enough to upgrade (just thinking). Even if we are going off windows 8 timeline theres still at least 3 years left. Also many people will complain and they might have to extend the updates further on. Finally, there are many unofficial ways to update to windows 11 with unofficial software and even ltt did a video about it

😢

As long as you have TPM 2.0 and SecureBoot, Windows 11 can be easily installed.

CPU support, like SSD support of Windows 11 is not a hard requirement. The OS will install just fine. The only difference is that Microsoft isn't providing you support if you have problem with your CPU, or if, one day they decide to use an instruction that your CPU doesn't support, expect a BSOD at startup. I can count by hands when this has happened, and in each case, the CPU was so old that the OS would not even running particularly well in any case due to the age. CPUs never really change much, and new instruction support is difficult as Intel and AMD like to do their own thing most of the time. And if anything, new is required, well... MS still needs to support years old CPUs already, so you still have years, unless something huge security wise comes out and supporting some new thing in CPUs that all supported CPUs of Windows 11 has is the only fix (doubt it).

So, install and enjoy!

8 hours ago, Goutham a nair said:

It's not like you have to remember a million terminal commands to get stuff done as the most you'll need to remember is the root password you set to perform updates and install software as a large chunk of linux distros have a pretty decent graphical package manager and even installing stuff outside of that isn't too much of a hassle either.

Take it from someone who wasn't familiar with linux until windows 11 was announced with its stupid CPU lockdown making every computer I own obsolete it isn't that hard to get used to as 99% of what I had to do didn't require going through the terminal.

Same situation here with 4 old PCs. I upgraded one to Ryzen 7000 (also for other reasons). I assume 1 may fail by 2025 or be obsolete for other reasons. 

I installed W11 on one PC to test the TPM-circumvention. Works well. But time will tell if MS pushes an update that requests TPM again. Or they abandon that requirement. Who knows .. I decided not to worry for now.

Never use an OS without security updates.

As for Linux, really depends on the applications you need. I tried Mint and that convinced me to stay with Windows. But I may change my mind later for a tertiary PC. My main PCs need Windows regardless.

FWIW, I really like W11. A good extension and refresh of what I like about W10. Gone are the days when one had to skip every other Windows version....

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro