Desk Pad as Chair Mat

AngryPig

I am trying to find something other than all the clear plastic mats to go underneath my chair at my desk. I can find plenty of options online that are rectangular or circular but nothing with a lip (t-shaped) that isn't plastic. I was thinking I could just get an LTT desk pad and cut it to fit into the gap of the desk. Has anyone tried this? My main concern is if the weight of the chair will shred through it (eventually it likely will but I mean in the short-term) or if it the weight will make the rubber backing eventually stick to the laminate underneath that I am trying to protect

If your concern is messing up wood floors I just replaced my chairs wheels with these wood floor safe ones from a company called The Office Oasis. 

1 hour ago, Sol_NB said:

If your concern is messing up wood floors I just replaced my chairs wheels with these wood floor safe ones from a company called The Office Oasis. 

I have a SecretLab Chair and they sell official rubber ones but they lower the total carry weight limit of the chair. I thought this was wrong but I asked their support twice and got the same answer from two different representatives.

The bigger concern for me is that our desk pad is pretty thick for comfort and that could cause it to deform as you roll over it, making it 'walk' or move around on the floor over time. 

I don't think this would work very well 😕

• 10 months later...

I made my own office chair mat out of a sheet of 3/8" plywood, 1x2 pine for the border, and peel and stick vinyl tiles. 

My desk's legs are spaced 3' 3.5" apart, so the 3 square tiles plus the boarder fits perfectly between them. Since I had the material, I made it 6' long to give me slightly more room to roll back, as well as to go all the way to the wall. Only thing I would do differently would be using higher quality plywood than what Home Depot sells. (Plywood there was grade C, and I can sometimes feel voids inside it when I roll over them)
My costs were roughly $60 USD, which is what I paid for my 3'x4' polycarbonate mat ($24 for plywood, $30 for tiles, $6 for three 1x2s, but tax might put it slightly over that)