Just upgraded to 7900 xtx. Do I need PCIE 4.0?

GreekWasabi

Running a Ryzen 3700x on a Strix B450-F board with PCIE 3.0.  But just upgraded to a 7900 xtx.  Is there a way to run a test to see if i'm hitting a bottleneck with the PCIE gen?

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, GreekWasabi said:

Running a Ryzen 3700x on a Strix B450-F board with PCIE 3.0.  But just upgraded to a 7900 xtx.  Is there a way to run a test to see if i'm hitting a bottleneck with the PCIE gen?

Thank you!

your bottleneck will be the CPU by a lot before  PCIE 3.0 vs 4.0 matters. If you dont intend to upgrade to a 5800x3D then you will be missing out some performance.

It's a very small difference that you wouldn't notice at this time.. your CPU would be more of a potential bottleneck.

54 minutes ago, GreekWasabi said:

as others have said, you’ve got a moderate CPU bottleneck already, pcie 3.0 bottleneck isn’t really there on the 7900xtx

PCIE Gen 4 is mainly going to be useful for fast NVME storage, once developed. GPU's won't ever need it in the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, GreekWasabi said:

But just upgraded

So you bought it?

Well, time to save up for the 5800X3D, because thats sure as hell a pretty big gap on anything but 4K. 

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.