ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F No Post After Enabling EXPO

MYSTERYMIKE

TL;DR Motherboard isn't posting after trying an extensive amount of troubleshooting steps and essentially a complete rebuild. I can access the boot up splash screen when plugged into integrated graphics but keyboard inputs are not registering to allow me into the UEFI/BIOS.

Hi all,

I just purchased some parts for a new rig and I'm having trouble getting into the UEFI. I put the parts together outside of the case, validated that it would post and sure enough it worked just fine. When I entered into the UEFI I did enable EXPO and then proceeded to install everything into my case. I was able to wire everything up the same way I had it wired when doing the test boot, but when plugging my DisplayPort cable into my GPU I get nothing but a black screen. My DRAM LED turns orange and then my CPU light turns red but nothing else after that. My computer chassis fans and CPU fans are running but my GPU fans do not run.

What I've done so far:

1. Reseated RAM + CPU + GPU
  2. Loosened tightness on CPU cooler
  3. Tried all combinations of RAM placement and switching sticks
  4. Checked all connectors and reconnected again
  5. Flashed BIOS
  6. Researched for similar issues to no avail

I tried looking all over for answers and noticed a few things. Seems like EXPO being enabled may be the culprit, but clearing the CMOS I didn't have much luck. I also flashed a couple of different versions of BIOS for my MB, reseated my CPU, booted up my system with RAM moved around, or tried booting up with 1 RAM stick instead but no luck. I did try letting my PC run overnight to see if it's just memory training but no luck. I flashed my BIOS to 1003 which is the most recent build, but no success. I then tried flashing 805 as I read someone who was having a similar issue found more luck and stability with this particular build but again, no success.

I found that I could get to the ASUS ROG boot-up screen when my DP is plugged in directly to the MB instead of my GPU. Now it prompts me to press F2 or Delete to access the BIOS but my keyboard does not register inputs. It's a wired keyboard and I've tried to separate keyboards in different USB ports but had no success getting in. The fans on my GPU are not spinning either but I've reseated my GPU and plugged in the appropriate connectors several times.

I did not have a chance to go through any Windows install but I did create a bootable USB with Windows 11. I thought maybe it wasn't progressing past that start screen as it may be looking for a boot device but I wasn't too sure and will be trying that once I'm home from work but I'm not able to choose a boot device anyway since my keyboard inputs aren't working.

Parts List

* ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Wifi Gaming
* AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
* Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 6000 32GB (16GB x 2)
* PowerColor AMD RX 7900XTX Red Devil Overclocked 
* Noctua NH-D15
* EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
* Western Digital Black 1 TB M.2 SSD

I tried all the troubleshooting steps and researched as much as I could but didn't find anything useful besides people mentioning memory training to explain the longer-than-average boot times.

This is only the second PC I've ever built so any input would be much appreciated!

Happy to provide anymore necessary info that'll help this be resolved.

Thanks in advance!

Did you try a single ram stick but changed up the stick and the slots?
Other than that you already pretty much tried everything i can think of, seems like a part is doa. Guessing its the cpu might be the problem. Have you checked for bent pins? what does it say in the uefi when you can boot it up, is it detecting the cpu and ram correctly?

Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've done everything just shy of pretty much rebuilding the entire thing again. When I first did the test boot everything was showing up correctly. The only variable I can think of that changed was enabling EXPO (dumb of me, I should've looked into it more before doing that). I enabled EXPO since it was stating that my RAM speed would be 4800 but after purchasing DDR5 6000... well.. I wanted the 6000. I guess I flew too close to the sun. After reading online I did see a ton of people mentioning that they've been having a lot of issues with EXPO being enabled hence why I tried clearing the CMOS but still nothing.

I dont think EXPO would have done that, a cmos reset would have fixed it. Its more likely something was on the verge of dying or half working, so you could get that far.
When you reset cmos did you follow theese instruction? https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040820

Do you have any spare components/another computer you can use to verify parts?

34 minutes ago, ComradeBard said:

I dont think EXPO would have done that, a cmos reset would have fixed it. Its more likely something was on the verge of dying or half working, so you could get that far.
When you reset cmos did you follow theese instruction? https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040820

Do you have any spare components/another computer you can use to verify parts?

This is very good advice.

Also make sure when resetting CMOS you adhere to the time's as it sometime can take a while for it to fully clear.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I’ll definitely give it another try and follow the steps precisely and I’ll update the forum once I’m able to test it. I do have a PC but it’s completely broke down on me recently hence why I purchased this one since it was about time to upgrade. Now I’ve got two that don’t work! (Yay) 

Thanks for your suggestions, I’ll be sure to give them a try. But if anyone else has suggestions that haven’t been mentioned I’m all ears