Is this worth it?

MexicanAnimal

Hi all!

I saw an ad in local classifieds where I live, and this guy has a variety of R9 290's, and they're all reference. Because if that I would've normally passed it up, but then I saw the price. They're $290 (lol), to put that in perspective, you can get 2 of these bad boys and crossfire them for the price of 1 retail 290 down here in Aus.

Now, I am building a new rig, and are all those bad things that people say about the AMD reference cooler true? My PC will be up on my desk next to me, so noise will be noticable, but I will be wearing closed headphones most of the time. Also, the heat, I don't want 95C inside mah 350D, so is there any other coolers I can get and get rid of the AMD reference cooler?

Thanks in advance!

the ref coolers will remove the heat from the case by themselves, just have a fan feed them air from the front of your case. probably mining cards

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

the ref coolers will remove the heat from the case by themselves, just have a fan feed them air from the front of your case. probably mining cards

Yeah I realize that they're blower style cards, but still, I don't want those temperatures inside my rig.

G10 brackets and used AIO's

otherwise crossfire reference 290 sounds like a really bad time

Oh nopenopenopenope I would never do that, I just said that to put in perspective how cheap these are :P I'll look into the G10, but I'm not sure if anyone carries it here in Aus

G10 brackets and used AIO's

otherwise crossfire reference 290 sounds like a really bad time

@helping besides I have a gene, so if I did cf, the top card would be starved and it would throttle like a bitch :P

It's still a good deal. I'd entertain the idea of just undervolting them a bit so the fans can run slower. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's still a good deal. I'd entertain the idea of just undervolting them a bit so the fans can run slower. 

I found a G10 for $35, and a Thermaltake performer for $50, will that AIO fit the G10?

Some miner got bored I see...

Haha yep, I don't care tho, It's still like $80 cheaper than a 280X so it's a great deal IMHO

I found a G10 for $35, and a Thermaltake performer for $50, will that AIO fit the G10?

yes

I don't think that they'll get such good airflow from the front, given that it's a 350D, so the front of the case if pretty limited for intake

@WoodenMarker @helping

I just told the guy that I wasn't sure because of how hot the cards ran, and then he said that they ran 80C max under 100% load :P

Some miner got bored I see...

Not some. Most. Its raining second hand 280X's and 290's here in Aus selling for ~$250+ 

I just told the guy that I wasn't sure because of how hot the cards ran, and then he said that they ran 80C max under 100% load  :P

Ask him how long he's been mining with them and if he overvolted/clocked them.

Damn, I'm tempted to get one to go tri-fire. If only my PSU could handle them...

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Hi all!

I saw an ad in local classifieds where I live, and this guy has a variety of R9 290's, and they're all reference. Because if that I would've normally passed it up, but then I saw the price. They're $290 (lol), to put that in perspective, you can get 2 of these bad boys and crossfire them for the price of 1 retail 290 down here in Aus.

Now, I am building a new rig, and are all those bad things that people say about the AMD reference cooler true? My PC will be up on my desk next to me, so noise will be noticable, but I will be wearing closed headphones most of the time. Also, the heat, I don't want 95C inside mah 350D, so is there any other coolers I can get and get rid of the AMD reference cooler?

Thanks in advance!

How many does he have? Hook a brother up :)

Don't hand them money before you see how they perform. I am betting there is something seriously wrong with them.

They could be really degraded since they're reference cards and at such a price. Not sure why anyone would try to resell a perfectly fine R9 290 for so little, even if they're poorly educated with hardware.

You could also look into going for some custom watercooling. Just run the GPU(s) in a standalone rad, no CPU in the loop.