Black Screen after upgrading CPU an GPU

Lauti

Hello,

I recently upgraded my GPU from a 1070 to a 3080 and my CPU from 2700X to a 5900X. I also changed my PSU from 650W to 850W.

I use the machine for both gaming and for work. I work in event lighting and do a lot of drawing and visualisation of lighting riggs. My main tool for that is Vectorworks.

Now I have the weird issue that at some specific tasks, the machine completly crashes. I'm not talking about BSOD. The screens turn black, the backlight of my corsair keyboard turns of, the status LED of my hard drive stops flashing. But the system stays powered on. The fans keep on running. Now when I try to power it off by pressing the power button for a longer time, it won't work. The only way to get the PC out of this state is by shutting off the power supply. Later on, it will boot up just fine.

What's very interesting is the timing, this error occures. So far I can reliably recreate it by drawing a curtain in a light plot in Vectorworks. Not that complicated of a task. Yesterday I was playing around with KallesFractaller, a software to calculate Mandelbrot fractals. I zoomed in just a little bit, then out again and it crashed.

So far I haven't had any problems while gaming even playing triple A titles like Hogwarts Legacy on pretty high settings... as the system should be able to handle.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

4 minutes ago, Lauti said:

Hello,

I recently upgraded my GPU from a 1070 to a 3080 and my CPU from 2700X to a 5900X. I also changed my PSU from 650W to 850W.

I use the machine for both gaming and for work. I work in event lighting and do a lot of drawing and visualisation of lighting riggs. My main tool for that is Vectorworks.

Now I have the weird issue that at some specific tasks, the machine completly crashes. I'm not talking about BSOD. The screens turn black, the backlight of my corsair keyboard turns of, the status LED of my hard drive stops flashing. But the system stays powered on. The fans keep on running. Now when I try to power it off by pressing the power button for a longer time, it won't work. The only way to get the PC out of this state is by shutting off the power supply. Later on, it will boot up just fine.

What's very interesting is the timing, this error occures. So far I can reliably recreate it by drawing a curtain in a light plot in Vectorworks. Not that complicated of a task. Yesterday I was playing around with KallesFractaller, a software to calculate Mandelbrot fractals. I zoomed in just a little bit, then out again and it crashed.

So far I haven't had any problems while gaming even playing triple A titles like Hogwarts Legacy on pretty high settings... as the system should be able to handle.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

Have you updated your BIOS?  Did you change all the cables when switching PSU?

What PSU did you get?

Did you update the BIOS to work with a 5900X?

What Motherboard do you have? 

5 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What PSU did you get?

Did you update the BIOS to work with a 5900X?

What Motherboard do you have? 

PSU is a EVGA SuperNova GT 850.

I've got an MSI B450 Gaming Plus.

Yes, I updated the BIOS before installing the new CPU.

21 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Have you updated your BIOS?  Did you change all the cables when switching PSU?

Yes, I updated my BIOS.

I completly changed my cabeling since the old PSU had its cables fixed to the unit. The new one has modular cabeling.