Streaming Hardware for 32" Quad HD

Rayceperales1

I recently got a free Asus C202S chromebook.  

My PC build is: 11700KF 32GB ram with a 3050 on a B560M-A motherboard.

My PC stream stutters streaming due to needing more headroom for streaming.  I play games like GTA 5, new Single player games,  Rocket League,  Apex, R6 Siege Hogwarts Legacy.   Games that honestly aren't that demanding.  Though my 3050 still struggles.

My question is: Will somehow incorporating the new Chromebook I have help me?  Or is the chromebook too weak itself?    

Any advice is absolutely appreciated.    Questions and comments below please  🙂

I'm not familiar with using a laptop as a streaming PC, but I wouldn't imagine it would be totally impossible.

My guess would be that your gaming PC will run better if you were to incorporate your Chromebook, but your stream would likely suffer. The option I'd probably go for is look for a good deal on a higher end GPU via the used market(think 2070 Super, 2080, 3070, 3070Ti as some examples) and just roll with a GPU upgrade, then enable NVENC encoding in OBS and call it a day.

GPU encoding is the way to go on a single PC setup, you just have to have a good enough graphics card that can encode and game at the same time without too much of a hit to either side. It's also worth noting that unless you're partnered on Twitch(not sure where you're streaming), all of your streams will be only be viewable in 720p60 anyway so there's no point in streaming in anything higher.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

19 minutes ago, Rayceperales1 said:

I recently got a free Asus C202S chromebook.  

My PC build is: 11700KF 32GB ram with a 3050 on a B560M-A motherboard.

My PC stream stutters streaming due to needing more headroom for streaming.  I play games like GTA 5, new Single player games,  Rocket League,  Apex, R6 Siege Hogwarts Legacy.   Games that honestly aren't that demanding.  Though my 3050 still struggles.

My question is: Will somehow incorporating the new Chromebook I have help me?  Or is the chromebook too weak itself?    

Any advice is absolutely appreciated.    Questions and comments below please  🙂

How exactly are you struggling? Are you making use of your 3050's nvenc encoder for your stream?

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm not familiar with using a laptop as a streaming PC, but I wouldn't imagine it would be totally impossible.

My guess would be that your gaming PC will run better if you were to incorporate your Chromebook, but your stream would likely suffer. The option I'd probably go for is look for a good deal on a higher end GPU via the used market(think 2070 Super, 2080, 3070, 3070Ti as some examples) and just roll with a GPU upgrade, then enable NVENC encoding in OBS and call it a day.

GPU encoding is the way to go on a single PC setup, you just have to have a good enough graphics card that can encode and game at the same time without too much of a hit to either side. It's also worth noting that unless you're partnered on Twitch(not sure where you're streaming), all of your streams will be only be viewable in 720p60 anyway so there's no point in streaming in anything higher.

The 3050 has the same encoder as a 3090 (which is also the same as the entire 2000 series), and the encoder is a separate part from the actual graphics core, meaning that it shouldn't impact in actual graphics processing, and vice versa.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

The 3050 has the same encoder as a 3090 (which is also the same as the entire 2000 series), and the encoder is a separate part from the actual graphics core, meaning that it shouldn't impact in actual graphics processing, and vice versa.

Yes, this is correct, my bad.

My rusty brain was remembering the days of Kepler when there wasn't a hardware NVENC encoder.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

21 hours ago, igormp said:

How exactly are you struggling? Are you making use of your 3050's nvenc encoder for your stream?

I think I'm struggling to push the game to 120hz and therefore my stream looks terrible.   Would make more sense,  especially with the information that encoder is separate.  

7 minutes ago, Rayceperales1 said:

I think I'm struggling to push the game to 120hz and therefore my stream looks terrible.   Would make more sense,  especially with the information that encoder is separate.  

Why exactly do you need to push 120Hz? Aren't most platforms limited to 60Hz?

Where are you trying to stream to?

Does you gameplay stutter? Have you ever thought that it may be an internet issue instead?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

Why exactly do you need to push 120Hz? Aren't most platforms limited to 60Hz?

Where are you trying to stream to?

Does you gameplay stutter? Have you ever thought that it may be an internet issue instead?

I like higher FPS in games.  I'm shooting for 120hz not streaming but on my gaming monitor.   Game 120hz on monitor look/play smooth,  then stream 60hz to viewers.  

Trying to stream on Youtube/Twitch

Gameplay stutters on some games.   This isn't the stuttering I have a problem with though.  I understand when my gaming monitor is struggling to produce frames because I'm asking too much of the GPU.  The problem I have and want solved is: I want to game 120hz on most games and stream them 60hz,  but the stream I produce looks stuttery and lackluster, even when the game I'm playing on my monitor on my end looks good and is very much so playable.   The stream doesn't look this way though.

That said,  what hardware should I require (GPU) to run what I'm looking for (High Settings on 2k games with 120hz refresh with headroom to stream/multitask.)

And if I'm not asking the right question,  let me know what I should be asking!   

ty for your time

2 hours ago, igormp said:

Have you ever thought that it may be an internet issue instead?

This is your likely culprit to stuttering streams.

31 minutes ago, Rayceperales1 said:

The problem I have and want solved is: I want to game 120hz on most games and stream them 60hz,  but the stream I produce looks stuttery and lackluster, even when the game I'm playing on my monitor on my end looks good and is very much so playable.   The stream doesn't look this way though.

Step 1: run a speed test and see what your ISP upload speeds are. If it's 10mbps or less you're going to have lots of buffering no matter what hardware you have. And even if it's more than that, depending on other people sharing the network connection, you may still run into buffering/stuttering issues for stream viewers.

(Fuzzy math incoming) To stream at 60fps requires quite a bit of bandwidth, network and video. You're sending twice the frames of a 30fps stream, and to maintain the bitrate (video quality) that you would get at 30fps, you essentially need to double the bitrate. Twitch limits non-partners to I think 5mbps for bitrate (video and network), so your 5mbps at 60fps is essentially 2.5mbps at 30fps. On the viewer end, 60fps video takes a bit more to process, and for viewers on mobile or lower power devices, it will potentially stutter and buffer more. If you're trying to watch your stream to check the quality on the same PC that you're gaming and streaming on, it's very likely you're pushing everything too hard to playback and stream smoothly. Check your stream on a different device to start (which I'm guessing you're doing with the Chromebook? If so, see above about low power devices and 60fps video) it could just be the stuttering is because you're pushing the stream PC too hard. IMO, unless you're a Twitch partner, 720p at 30fps at max bitrate is far better than 60fps. You want as many viewers to be able to watch your stream easily and smoothly, without buffering. I'd rather watch 720p/30fps buttery smooth than 1080p/60fps with lag, stutters, and buffering.

52 minutes ago, Rayceperales1 said:

I like higher FPS in games.  I'm shooting for 120hz not streaming but on my gaming monitor.   Game 120hz on monitor look/play smooth

Oh yeah, then likely you just need a more powerful GPU. Maybe a 3070 or better.

54 minutes ago, Rayceperales1 said:

but the stream I produce looks stuttery and lackluster, even when the game I'm playing on my monitor on my end looks good and is very much so playable.   The stream doesn't look this way though.

Are you sure this isn't an internet problem? Look at the above answer for more clarification.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, Omon_Ra said:

This is your likely culprit to stuttering streams.

Step 1: run a speed test and see what your ISP upload speeds are. If it's 10mbps or less you're going to have lots of buffering no matter what hardware you have. And even if it's more than that, depending on other people sharing the network connection, you may still run into buffering/stuttering issues for stream viewers.

I get about 400-600 mb/s download with about 60 mb/s upload

Internet speed test

Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 32 ms