Sanyo PLC XP30 making lines, wat do, can't replace, how fix?

XZDX

I have a Sanyo great hall projector that was meant for my high school auditorium that I used as an infinite size HDR big screen TV in college.

Its been a while since I tried powering it on.  When I did, it started showing a bunch of garbled lines.  I could see what was on the screen, but its like the lasers in the projector are out of sync or something.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Take a pic of what it is displaying. And what model is it? Is it a laser or LCD projector? It could be as simple as a bad HDMI port or even cord, or it could be the laser/LCD is borked.

3 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

Take a pic of what it is displaying. And what model is it? Is it a laser or LCD projector? It could be as simple as a bad HDMI port or even cord, or it could be the laser/LCD is borked.

Its an LCD projector.  Is there a way to replace the LCD?  I'll append the OP with the model

You're honestly probably better off buying a used projector or a cheap new one. It's a projector from 2000, with only a resolution of 1024x768, though 3000 lumens is pretty nice. Even if you could replace the LCD's, it would probably be a nightmare, and finding a replacement part for a 23 year old projector is kind of not worth the time/effort unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

You're honestly probably better off buying a used projector or a cheap new one. It's a projector from 2000, with only a resolution of 1024x768, though 3000 lumens is pretty nice. Even if you could replace the LCD's, it would probably be a nightmare, and finding a replacement part for a 23 year old projector is kind of not worth the time/effort unfortunately.

Actually its 1600X1200, and yes its absolutely worth fixing.  I competitively played (and won) multiple tournaments of Bad Company 2 with it, its getting fixed.

It would seem ebay is your only hope then. Find one with a dead bulb someone is trying to offload and hope you can salvage the LCD. But it's a 3LCD projector, so have fun with that

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

It would seem ebay is your only hope then. Find one with a dead bulb someone is trying to offload and hope you can salvage the LCD. But it's a 3LCD projector, so have fun with that

Well thats the sort of info I need to know.  How do I look that up?

11 hours ago, XZDX said:

Actually its 1600X1200, and yes its absolutely worth fixing.  I competitively played (and won) multiple tournaments of Bad Company 2 with it, its getting fixed.

Using pixel shift? All of the official pdf's say 1024x768 native.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Using pixel shift? All of the official pdf's say 1024x768 native.

I dunno.  Its native as far as I can tell its what everything defaults to when I plug anything in.

13 hours ago, XZDX said:

Well thats the sort of info I need to know.  How do I look that up?

thats just it. there isnt much on replacing and aligning the lcd stuff. hell dlp you can replace the color wheel, but lcd stuff is another animal.

best bet get one or 2 used units and take them to a shop to have them used as parts for yours.

7 hours ago, circeseye said:

thats just it. there isnt much on replacing and aligning the lcd stuff. hell dlp you can replace the color wheel, but lcd stuff is another animal.

best bet get one or 2 used units and take them to a shop to have them used as parts for yours.

I can learn how to do the alignment.  I have had to hack P4 PC bios to get OC working properly before, I'm not scared of anything.

Is there anything out there just about LCD projectors?  I don't know how to search for this shit without having chatgpt, and the bing closed beta isn't open yet.

best bet, actual research . google and youtube. dont use that ai bullcrap. its not made for this
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=lcd+projector+panel+alignment

even just do a google search on repairing your unit but you may need to just look at other similar units

and its not like hacking a comp bios to overclock a pc

obviously parts will need replaced. but kind of like replacing a color wheel on a dlp projector making sure its set right, theres mirrors and such that may need adjusted....in a lcd one theres way more to it.

just remember you "could" make it worse....so research for a bit and if you think it best for a shop to do it. let them they have the tools

On 3/29/2023 at 10:43 PM, XZDX said:

So, just to answer your confusion here, it has a Native Resolution of XGA (1024x768). This means that it is physically capable of creating 1024x768 pixels on the screen.

It has a maximum (non-native) resolution of SXGA (1280x1024). It likely accomplishes this via pixel shift, which means it moves pixels around quickly on the screen to create the fake effect of having more resolution than it does.

If you're able to input resolutions of 1600x1200, it's downsampling that resolution to XGA ultimately, because that's what the physical pixel count is on the projector.

That's not terribly relevant other than to reinforce that yes, this is an ancient projector, with really outdated specifications. You could maybe fix it (IMO your best bet is to buy another used one and scrap it for parts), but you would only fix this as a hobby project, not for any practical reason. Get a new one is the best answer.

Also in your OP, you say:

that I used as an infinite size HDR big screen TV in college

Your projector most definitely doesn't support HDR, so I'm not sure what you mean by this statement.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Vibes.  Legit the only reason I want it is its brighter than other projectors I could get from say best buy or off ebay.  But it looks like 3 to 4 years later, the same unit is in a smaller box.  So I'll do some digging here and probably ditch the unit I have.

Looked around for LCD units, there are some, but a lot of ppl say its faster to build a custom one with parts from websites that are dead.  So IDEK where to get the tiny dingus screens without getting something wonky.  Not wurf.

It looks like I can get a whole new XP30 for about 50 bucks though, which would be cool.  Even if its doing pixel scaling, it looks really good, and has a legitimate RGB input.  I can attach an HDMI scaler to either VGA or DVI and get whatever console I want running, or use my amiga on it.  Its legitimately worth having.  I can't get something like an IBM PVM or something like that.  This is a PVM that displays on a wall.  I'm sure lots of others have the inputs, but I need the brightness for other things.

I wonder if theres websites that specifically review projectors.  That sounds boring, but idk.

1 hour ago, XZDX said:

Vibes.  Legit the only reason I want it is its brighter than other projectors I could get from say best buy or off ebay.  But it looks like 3 to 4 years later, the same unit is in a smaller box.  So I'll do some digging here and probably ditch the unit I have.

Looked around for LCD units, there are some, but a lot of ppl say its faster to build a custom one with parts from websites that are dead.  So IDEK where to get the tiny dingus screens without getting something wonky.  Not wurf.

It looks like I can get a whole new XP30 for about 50 bucks though, which would be cool.  Even if its doing pixel scaling, it looks really good, and has a legitimate RGB input.  I can attach an HDMI scaler to either VGA or DVI and get whatever console I want running, or use my amiga on it.  Its legitimately worth having.  I can't get something like an IBM PVM or something like that.  This is a PVM that displays on a wall.  I'm sure lots of others have the inputs, but I need the brightness for other things.

I wonder if theres websites that specifically review projectors.  That sounds boring, but idk.

Projectorcentral.com