Odd quote box behavior on mobile

colinstu

Browser, version and OS: iOS mobile safari, latest (for 1st three issues). Desktop Chrome macOS for third issue. 

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened? AND What happened?

Issues I've noticed:

1. While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor before a quote block if a quote block is started at the beginning of a post
  2. While on mobile, hard to delete a quote block. If you backspace it will only delete some of the quote block. And deleting the remaining piece requires numerous odd taps and backspaces until it's gone. 
  3. While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor inside a quote block if you backspace too much of the quote block (cannot add any text back to the quote block while it's in the middle state mentioned above). 
  4. Noticed just now while on desktop, when uploading an image and setting the size there doesn't appear to be any way to go back and change the size again, have to delete the attachment entirely and try again. 

What did you expect to happen?

1. I would expect some way to move the cursor before the text box so additional text could be typed before it. 
  2. I would expect a backspace to fully delete the quote block. 
  3. I would expect to be able to type into it again, or for it to not end up in this partially-deleted un-editable state. 
  4. I would expect to click on the image again and still be able to adjust the resolution. 

I have not done further testing but I wonder if things like code blocks etc are also affected by similar issues. 

6 minutes ago, colinstu said:
  • While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor before a quote block if a quote block is started at the beginning of a post

This is almost feature as it will not be patched. Its been like that since this version of forums was upgraded in 2016.

• While on mobile, hard to delete a quote block. If you backspace it will only delete some of the quote block. And deleting the remaining piece requires numerous odd taps and backspaces until it's gone. 

Also almost a feature that won't be fixed. Also been there since 2016.

• While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor inside a quote block if you backspace too much of the quote block (cannot add any text back to the quote block while it's in the middle state mentioned above). 

This is new. I use Firefox and have never had this one.

• Noticed just now while on desktop, when uploading an image and setting the size there doesn't appear to be any way to go back and change the size again, have to delete the attachment entirely and try again. 

On desktop, you can always double-click image to open menu.

Points 1 and 2 might just be something that our devs can't fix themselves. But I have been wrong so many times, I just say those are some of the oldest bugs we have.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Unfortunately the apis provided by browsers make stuff like quote boxes really hard to deal with (eg on most phones there's no "backspace pressed" event, it just tries to delete stuff), which makes a lot of these issues basically impossible to fix

HTTP/2 203

I have similar issues when I @ someone from mobile FF or Chrome, things get super weird trying to input text, backspace, etc. I don't know how to screen record on my Samsung S8 to show but it's super messed up to the point of absurd humor.