Need a fallout4 expert again. It seems I messed up.

Bombastinator

So I’m playing some mod content in fallout4, but I don’t know which one it is.  I’ve got the problem of two immortal Npcs, one of which has to kill the other for the story to proceed.

ot “Harley” and her aunt.  They both fight forever though.  Isteead of one dying they just fall down and get back up a few seconds later.  I remember there being a choice box for one mod where I could decide whether or not to make critical npcs immortal or not.  One of the things about fallout4 is characters can get killed before you ever meet them so I chose immortal, but apparently it broke this quest.  Is there a way to turn it off on the console?  Seems the mod is “depravity” according to me clicking on the aunt in console

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You can set them as non-essential from the console.

To find out their NPC ID by their name type

help "the npc's name" 0

It should list all IDs with the name, the one you need starts with "NPC_"

Then use that ID for this command

setessential <ID> 0

And finally bullets to the face 😛

29 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

help "the npc's name" 0

setessential <ID> 0

Thx.  I can get the ID by opening the console and just clicking on them I think. 🤗

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

50 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

help "the npc's name" 0

setessential <ID> 0

There are two ID numbers.  Do I want the ID or the base ID. The numbers are very similar.  What I get when I clock on the actor though is the ID not the baseID.  Trying that I typed “seressential 2a59bd2b 0” and I got “invalid actor base ‘2a59bd2b for parameter 

Actor Base.

Compiled script not saved!”

so o tried using the baseID instead and it seemed to accept it

didnt work.  Argh.  I really don’t want to have to start an new game over this.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

There are two ID numbers.  Do I want the ID or the base ID. The numbers are very similar.  What I get when I clock on the actor though is the ID not the baseID.  Trying that I typed “seressential 2a59bd2b 0” and I got “invalid actor base ‘2a59bd2b for parameter 

Actor Base.

Compiled script not saved!”

so o tried using the baseID instead and it seemed to accept it

didnt work.  Argh.  I really don’t want to have to start an new game over this.

The IDs you get with interaction are ref IDs and they're not useful in this case, the method I gave you gives you their form IDs which is whats needed.

Try getting them to minimal health then do the command and then one more hit should kill them (dont use VATS).

4 hours ago, Murasaki said:

The IDs you get with interaction are ref IDs and they're not useful in this case, the method I gave you gives you their form IDs which is whats needed.

Try getting them to minimal health then do the command and then one more hit should kill them (dont use VATS).

Ah.  Ok.  Gonna try it tomorrow though. It’s just too late here.

UPDATE: that number was the baseID so didn’t work.  Maybe I’ve got the syntax wrong.

Edited by Bombastinator

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  Ok.  Gonna try it tomorrow though. It’s just too late here.

UPDATE: that number was the baseID so didn’t work.  Maybe I’ve got the syntax wrong.

So did you do the setessential command and not get any errors from the console?

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

So did you do the setessential command and not get any errors from the console?

Yup.  Maybe it just took awhile to process

Yup.  Maybe it just took awhile to process

Hmm could check if its even applying. Do the commands, close the console then pull it back up and this time use the npc's ref ID (not the formID we get from the help command)

ID.isessential

and it should either output IsEssential >> 1.00 or 0.00

If its 0 and npc cant be killed then maybe the mod is doing something different.

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Hmm could check if its even applying. Do the commands, close the console then pull it back up and this time use the npc's ref ID (not the formID we get from the help command)

ID.isessential

and it should either output IsEssential >> 1.00 or 0.00

If its 0 and npc cant be killed then maybe the mod is doing something different.

It output nothing at all.  I eventually got it ne of them to die though and get the quest over with.  It was the standard video game “give the player a choice between only  two options both of which are terrible” thing so it didn’t really matter which one.

It output nothing at all.  I eventually got it ne of them to die though and get the quest over with.  It was the standard video game “give the player a choice between only  two options both of which are terrible” thing so it didn’t really matter which one.

oh well.. atleast thats solved (kinda)

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

oh well.. atleast thats solved (kinda)

Lol.  Well enough, anyway.  One of the things I got with all of this is sim settlements 2, which I find I am hating with a verve normally reserved for things like taxes or traffic jams.  It quintuples the size requirements of settlements, and it makes you apparently unable to assign settlers.   Also walls become actively dangerous things to have instead of not nearly as useful as they should be.   Aside from apparently completely turning off water farming (it doesn’t matter how many water machines you put down. They all make the number of settlers you have +10 total)  (the problem isn’t lore with that, water farming is totally in keeping with what would be expected from that civilization, it’s balance) it’s created a really massive adhesive problem.  If I can’t harvest crops I can’t make adhesive so I can’t make weapons.  Basically the entire game revolves around oil and adhesive.  Oil isn’t a problem, but adhesive really really is.  Corn would be worth hundreds of caps in this scenario.  

Much manual reading needs to be done it seems.  A lot of people really like this for some reason.  I must be doing something wrong.

The one I’m loving atm is the thing about how t assign settlers that does not actually explain and sinply  just tells you to go read the manual, (first of all 🤬 you you self righteous dunderhead) but then the MANUAL tells you to read that section!  It’s recursive!  That actually makes a traffic jam look good!

Edited by Bombastinator

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

Sim Settlements is crap if you're not a micromanagement RPG nut, it's a mod to make the game into a weird Sim City. Just uninstall it if you don't like it.

If you want to increase build size you can do that with console commands. Face a workshop, open up the console and click it, you'll see an ID, then type the getav commands, it'll return a value, to increase the build cap simply multiply those values by a multiple of 2

getav 349
getav 34B

setav 349 numberyouwant.00
setav 34B numberyouwant.00

add the dot zero zero at the end otherwise it won't work.

I have the Depravity mod and a few others from the same set but my game mainly has diff and visual mods installed, some guns and armor too. My goal was to make it similar to STALKER and Metro so I made the weather truly postap where if you don't have a gas mask you die, most NPCs die as well if they don't have a mask or lose it in combat, I know "frost" is a thing but it removes all the quests and I didn't want that.

Added some "survival" mods too that improve the combat system, you need food and clean water to keep going, less AP so you can't Sonic your way through the maps, you need clean water and food, there's wounds, poisoning, diseases, fatigue and most enemies oneshot you if you go out without armor, I've even added one that makes your character undernourished if you lose weight/muscle so there's reduced speed and carry weight.

Starting a new game is basically a Souls experience from the moment you leave the pod, even the radroaches will rekt you and there's no starting 10mm pistol anymore.

Yeah, I like to suffer, PLENTY.

My issue is there seems to be no information on what the various icons even mean and how you go about doing things.  It’s not merely a micromanaging issue, I don’t even know what or how to micromanage it.  The impression I get also is someone set this thing up to work as a unit, and if I rip a piece out there is going to be other problems.  I like the idea of not having to do my own harvesting, but I also like the idea of  having a complete set of things to actually make stuff from.  The only reason I have settlers in the first place is to make oil and adhesive.   Basically every useful item in the game uses those two things.  Individual things will also use one other weird major ingredient such as aluminum or ballistic fiber.   The collection destroys the water economy quite thoroughly, but other stuff just opens up then.  They added a lot of raider armor mods for example, and you can make an item worth over a hundred caps out of one cloth.  Run 40 or 50 of those to a merchant and it’s the same as 400 purified water.  A pointless excercise I think.  Water at least made sense.  The way I would have controlled it is to nerf it’s sale value, not make it impossible to produce.

Edited by Bombastinator

10 hours ago, Caroline said:

Sim Settlements is crap if you're not a micromanagement RPG nut, it's a mod to make the game into a weird Sim City. Just uninstall it if you don't like it.

If you want to increase build size you can do that with console commands. Face a workshop, open up the console and click it, you'll see an ID, then type the getav commands, it'll return a value, to increase the build cap simply multiply those values by a multiple of 2

getav 349
getav 34B

setav 349 numberyouwant.00
setav 34B numberyouwant.00

add the dot zero zero at the end otherwise it won't work.

I have the Depravity mod and a few others from the same set but my game mainly has diff and visual mods installed, some guns and armor too. My goal was to make it similar to STALKER and Metro so I made the weather truly postap where if you don't have a gas mask you die, most NPCs die as well if they don't have a mask or lose it in combat, I know "frost" is a thing but it removes all the quests and I didn't want that.

Added some "survival" mods too that improve the combat system, you need food and clean water to keep going, less AP so you can't Sonic your way through the maps, you need clean water and food, there's wounds, poisoning, diseases, fatigue and most enemies oneshot you if you go out without armor, I've even added one that makes your character undernourished if you lose weight/muscle so there's reduced speed and carry weight.

Starting a new game is basically a Souls experience from the moment you leave the pod, even the radroaches will rekt you and there's no starting 10mm pistol anymore.

Yeah, I like to suffer, PLENTY.

One of my favorite mods was scrappotron.  It’s not strictly necessary but it makes things easier to figure out.  You always know how much of what you’ve actually got.   I also can’t clean my settlements which is annoying.  You can even find brooms, but no one can use one in the 24th century?  Also no doors for dogs.  How the heck does dog meat open a sliding door?!

Edited by Bombastinator