Switch in 2023

JDP42

I haven't brought a console in a long time - I currently have a PS2.

The Switch being 6 years old now - is it still worth buying and getting games for? I'm in NZ, so it's expensive over here - By the time I get the OLED and 3 games, I'm pushing $1000. Comparatively, the PS5 and the Xbox Series X is $899, normally with a game.

The Switch is more interesting to me than the other 2 consoles, but oof, it's a lot to get started.

If you think you'd like the games, go for it. At the end of the day the games are the content. With it being weaker hardware the visuals can be lacking. But if you like the games, that wont matter.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I’ve always found the best way to determine if a console is worth it or not is to work out how many games you would buy for that console that could not be bought on any other platform you already own or would be able to get cheaper.

So what games are you interested in? I know you don’t have any new consoles but does you PC have a GPU?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

11 minutes ago, JDP42 said:

I haven't brought a console in a long time - I currently have a PS2.

The Switch being 6 years old now - is it still worth buying and getting games for? I'm in NZ, so it's expensive over here - By the time I get the OLED and 3 games, I'm pushing $1000. Comparatively, the PS5 and the Xbox Series X is $899, normally with a game.

The Switch is more interesting to me than the other 2 consoles, but oof, it's a lot to get started.

If you are interested in the games, go for it! The switch is a great console but since you’d be paying so much, I suggest waiting a few months incase a switch pro does come out (not that i suspect it will, but who knows).

While the console isn’t the strongest with the best graphics, it can be seen as not as good as the PS5 or series X but the game selection makes it worth it. I’m a huge Legend of Zelda fan so this is probably biased… Anyways good luck!

7 hours ago, will0hlep said:

I’ve always found the best way to determine if a console is worth it or not is to work out how many games you would buy for that console that could not be bought on any other platform you already own or would be able to get cheaper.

So what games are you interested in? I know you don’t have any new consoles but does you PC have a GPU?

I've just dropped an ex mining RX 470 (or it could be a 570 - not much difference) into my rig, which is running a Ryzen 5 3400G. All hardware over here is expensive - basically take standard US pricing and double it.

There isn't a lot of games I find that interesting on PC recently - I'd much rather single player, hence why the Switch is interesting

1 minute ago, JDP42 said:

I've just dropped an ex mining RX 470 (or it could be a 570 - not much difference) into my rig, which is running a Ryzen 5 3400G. All hardware over here is expensive - basically take standard US pricing and double it.

There isn't a lot of games I find that interesting on PC recently - I'd much rather single player, hence why the Switch is interesting

So how many games are there on switch that really interest you atm?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

7 hours ago, Nicckko said:

If you are interested in the games, go for it! The switch is a great console but since you’d be paying so much, I suggest waiting a few months incase a switch pro does come out (not that i suspect it will, but who knows).

While the console isn’t the strongest with the best graphics, it can be seen as not as good as the PS5 or series X but the game selection makes it worth it. I’m a huge Legend of Zelda fan so this is probably biased… Anyways good luck!

There have been so many predictions about Nintendo getting new hardware... with the days getting shorter and Winter not far off, I was thinking it would work well, between Zelda, the port of the old Super Mario 64 and Ring Fit all making it quite attractive.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:22 PM, JDP42 said:

There have been so many predictions about Nintendo getting new hardware... with the days getting shorter and Winter not far off, I was thinking it would work well, between Zelda, the port of the old Super Mario 64 and Ring Fit all making it quite attractive.

If you liked Mario 64 then Super Mario Odyssey is a must play. Feels very much in the spirit of Mario 64 but you can tell Nintendo extracted every last bit of performance they could out of the system and it runs 60 fps in everything but the New Donk City level. It's especially awesome on your TV using split joycons as the controller since you can use the regular controls for Mario and intuitive and simple motion controls for throwing your cap.

I will say Switch is kind of rough to game on these days when I have gotten used to PS5 and PC not held back by last gen consoles graphics and performance levels. But Super Mario Odyssey might be enough to make the purchase worth it. Not sure how well Cemu plays BOTW on an RX 470 since it's an AMD gpu, but might want to look that up to see if you're better off emulating the Wii U version of BOTW vs playing the Switch version. I haven't touched Cemu since like 2017 or 2018 and back then it performed way better with Nvidia gpus than AMD ones and I was running a GTX 970 when I played BOTW on Cemu. I probably should go back and check it now that I'm running an AMD card (RX 6700 XT).