Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Hope the team can get this sorted out, just shows it's a matter of when not if, when it comes to getting hacked!

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

3 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Is this the actual legit Tesla account?

no, they took over multiple ltt channels, not just main one... and this is one of them 

youtube IS NOT taking channels down, they took down only main LTT, but not techquckie or techlinked 

1 minute ago, cmjchrisjones said:

He said the other day he does, I believe it was on last weeks WAN show he said they have 2 "onsite" copies, another copy and a 4th copy backed up BackBlaze as another offsite. so 4 copies of data. It'll probably take a while to restore unless YouTube can do a point in time restore which should in theory be a lot quicker than having to reupload everything 🤞

This happens ALL the time on youtube. I have seen other channels that have gone through this. It should be easy to revert the changes. There is no way that LTT is going to have to reupload (and I doubt they would if they did have to as it would hurt their standing in the algorithm).

This sucks, some mad miner probably.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Hope the team can get this sorted out, just shows it's a matter of when not if, when it comes to getting hacked!

they are in contact and damage control mode, so sooner rather than later I guess

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, BondiBlue said:

That's better. My Floatplane account is tied to my old LTT forum account for reasons, so if I want to sign in on the app I have to change my default browser on my phone to a second browser, sign in through LTT with my old account, and then change it back. 

Oh believe me, I also have this kinda. I sign into the floatplane website via the forum and then the forum via steam. However this is not supported through the IOS app. It's kinda ironic to do, just clicking sign in via three times. Can't change now due to the grandfathered perk either.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

This has obviously happened to other large channels in the last year e.g. Corridor Crew and it's unfortunate that the proper tools are not provided by Google to prevent such incidents, as they are indeed preventable.

I hope Linus and the team can mitigate the damage of current situation in short order and push Google to implement more robust security protocols going forward. These are multi million dollar businesses with many dependent employees and the systems in place need to reflect that.

7 minutes ago, Preske said:

no, it is the techlinked channel, but video's from tesla show up. How does that even work.

you can put single playlists in "shelves", the sections in your main channel page you can edit, at youtube studio > customization > layoutimage.png.012bf1d8dc45960106703c2f5908d14e.pngts i

When you press the add button, these are your options, and you can move them around.
image.png.db7012fc6ec367bba31edc7f42bbf4b4.png

So they add original tesla channel's playlists to make it seem like the channel they are editing/hijacking is legit.

Edited by pcislocked

14 minutes ago, Jurta said:

for the hackers to get all donated money, they'd have to swap out the linked bank account in the channel's adsense for theirs. i doubt they'd be getting anything from this

It's not a bad Idea for one person to do it with the minimum amount just so it shows up, probably just doesn't need multiple people -- although I like the lttstore promotion. It also says that it is restricted to allow only subscribers of 15 years -- youtube should change that so you can't limit comments to subscribers who have been 'subscribed' longer than the channel has been around.

Are the forums affected and users should change their passwords?? I know I haven't been able to login at all this morning due to high server load message. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, GorujoCY said:

they are in contact and damage control mode, so sooner rather than later I guess

Aye, looks like they changed the name again

image.thumb.png.a7211703ff8d77b51a74e227a155a237.png

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

This video is pretty informative for people interested in what might have happened.

Do we know if our details are safe regarding email address and passwords for things like this forum and Floatplane? I'm no cybersecurity expert (or novice), but if their network is vulnerable couldn't they get access to forum & floatplane account information?

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are the forums affected and users should change their passwords?? I know I haven't been able to login at all this morning due to high server load message. 

no the forums is safe, it was a Technically Denial of Service due to a lot of users jumping in to the LTT forums

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

See the latest from ShortCircuit, ShortCircuit, ShortCircuit, or ShortCircuit!

Spoiler

image.png.2a7d7a43205d248c6d1f0984cf77f468.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I saw tesla live in my subscription list, and thought I was going mad. Pretty sure I never followed them lol.

I pressed unfollow on 2 channels with those live videos, guess it was LTT and tech quickie? 🤔

Edited by Jericho-X

is it just me or has the techlinked channel been filled with tesla playlists, like how lmao

Just now, CSwords said:

Do we know if our details are safe regarding email address and passwords for things like this forum and Floatplane? I'm no cybersecurity expert (or novice), but if their network is vulnerable couldn't they get access to forum & floatplane account information?

Just now, GorujoCY said:

no the forums is safe, it was a Technically Denial of Service due to a lot of users jumping in to the LTT forums

My PC

2 minutes ago, the_importer said:

All the more reasons for Crypto to be outlawed worldwide.

And how would this help preventing scams? 

Google gift cards should be outlawed, too, by this type of logic.

Especially cash money and gold is used extensively for criminal activities worldwide.

Why not outlaw all of this and go back to trading food or things directly in exchange?

...just kidding

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

I think there's something wrong with the forums too. I just logged in and got this message which wasn't there yesterday

I got the Tesla notification but didn't pay too much attention to it.

Screenshot_20230323-183241.png

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

See the latest from ShortCircuit, ShortCircuit, ShortCircuit, or ShortCircuit!

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2a7d7a43205d248c6d1f0984cf77f468.png

or perhaps, mac adreess and channel super fun (cat tips for those veterans too)

My PC