How can I open a specific port that alledgedly battle.net needs?

Nexxus

Disclaimer I know nearly nothing about networking

Battle.net refuses to connect no matter what I do. It hates me after a ton of support blizz is like give us a number and we will call you give us a 2 hour time window. I do not wanna be on the phone for 2 hrs they say its because battle.net cant access port 1119.

I see the only way to open a port is by setting a static IP which I do not wanna do because I imagine the dynamic IP is set as it is for a reason and surely there has to be some alternative to not doing that since like... it makes no sense the client is just useless you happen to get lucky and that port is open? I dunno... I am using a software my friend uses whos in school for i dunno network stuff and it keeps telling me 1119 is not open or reachable I thought I set up an exception for that but I dunno it is still saying its closed and seems closed no matter what I do  so I dunno what to do. B.net has been doing this for over a month now and ive been trying various troubleshooting for literally days now.

On windows 11, router is a Smart SR516ac

I dont think its the router cause my laptop can launch and login to the client without issue.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

So the static IP is referring to the internal IP of the device within your network. (ie. 192.168.1.69) This is different than your external IP, which is visible to the outside world.

The reason for setting a static IP for you device is so if it falls off the network for a period of time, DHCP doesn't allocate that IP address to a different device on your network.

From there, go into your firewall rules and set a static route for 1119 from the WAN to your client device's IP. 

Some router firewall configurations will allow you to set the route to a specific MAC address so you don't need to assign a static IP if you want to do it that way.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I susp

38 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Disclaimer I know nearly nothing about networking

Battle.net refuses to connect no matter what I do. It hates me after a ton of support blizz is like give us a number and we will call you give us a 2 hour time window. I do not wanna be on the phone for 2 hrs they say its because battle.net cant access port 1119.

I see the only way to open a port is by setting a static IP which I do not wanna do because I imagine the dynamic IP is set as it is for a reason and surely there has to be some alternative to not doing that since like... it makes no sense the client is just useless you happen to get lucky and that port is open? I dunno... I am using a software my friend uses whos in school for i dunno network stuff and it keeps telling me 1119 is not open or reachable I thought I set up an exception for that but I dunno it is still saying its closed and seems closed no matter what I do  so I dunno what to do. B.net has been doing this for over a month now and ive been trying various troubleshooting for literally days now.

On windows 11, router is a Smart SR516ac

I dont think its the router cause my laptop can launch and login to the client without issue.

I suspect that the cause may be the windows firewall blocking the port check to see if you have allowed battle.net through windows firewall, conversly your router can also be blocking port 1119 so you may need to check if it is allowed through your routers firewall. Just like @Skipple said as last resort, you can try setting a static IP address for your computer and then opening port 1119 in your router's settings. This should allow traffic to flow through the port and enable Battle.net to connect.

26 minutes ago, Skipple said:

So the static IP is referring to the internal IP of the device within your network. (ie. 192.168.1.69) This is different than your external IP, which is visible to the outside world.

The reason for setting a static IP for you device is so if it falls off the network for a period of time, DHCP doesn't allocate that IP address to a different device on your network.

From there, go into your firewall rules and set a static route for 1119 from the WAN to your client device's IP. 

Some router firewall configurations will allow you to set the route to a specific MAC address so you don't need to assign a static IP if you want to do it that way.

22 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

I susp

I suspect that the cause may be the windows firewall blocking the port check to see if you have allowed battle.net through windows firewall, conversly your router can also be blocking port 1119 so you may need to check if it is allowed through your routers firewall. Just like @Skipple said as last resort, you can try setting a static IP address for your computer and then opening port 1119 in your router's settings. This should allow traffic to flow through the port and enable Battle.net to connect.

As far as I can tell... I am on a static IP now and windows and the firewall have 1119 open....to the best of my abilities as I said I know nothing about networking .

It still wont go though and the previously mentioned utility my friend had me get is still telling me its closed.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Windows by default closes some ports as they are not commonly used and port 1119 is not a common port out of all 3000ish ports out there the only way to fix this is to enable it through the windows firewall app

13 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Windows by default closes some ports as they are not commonly used and port 1119 is not a common port out of all 3000ish ports out there the only way to fix this is to enable it through the windows firewall app

its there. its enabled both outbound and inbound with both with TCP and UDP cause idk what these letters mean 

2023-03-22 22_26_12-Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.png

2023-03-22 22_26_33-Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.png

System Specs

29 minutes ago, TechlessBro said:

https://portforward.com/smartrg/sr516ac/

have you set the router to allow and forward the ports to the pc?

Yup... other entries were defaults for the routers battle.net listing but its there.

2023_03_22_23_53_54_DSL_Router.jpg

System Specs

2 minutes ago, TechlessBro said:

Server IP is blacked out but that’s your PC IP correct?

that IP should be 10.#.#.# or 192.168.#.# not the public IP so you don’t need to hide it.

Wasnt sure if it was or not figured id be safe but I am using that port forwarding utility and had it set a static IP for me

So unless its lying to me yes its correct.

Edit - According to ipconfig /all the IPV4 address matches.

System Specs

4 minutes ago, TechlessBro said:

Ok the other thing is calling your ISP to check if they block inbound connections. Many places do this by default now to prevent malware etc.

Fairly certain that wouldn't be the reasoning. My laptop can sign in without any issue. I just cant run anything on that machine.

System Specs

3 minutes ago, TechlessBro said:

Do they have the same Anti virus installed, some block gaming etc or have their own firewall setup.

Nothing more then windows defender on each.

Edit - Just for fun I disabled everything AV related in defender too, still wont let me.

System Specs

This video should explain how to allow a port on your pc. I strongly do not beliveve that the router and isp are the problem. it may be battle.net on there sever side as battle.net uses port 1119 for authentication to the game server, anyways here is the video to open the port on your pc: 

1 hour ago, goatedpenguin said:

This video should explain how to allow a port on your pc. I strongly do not beliveve that the router and isp are the problem. it may be battle.net on there sever side as battle.net uses port 1119 for authentication to the game server, anyways here is the video to open the port on your pc: 

Yeah thats exactly what I did just with all possible variables since i dunno what the correct one was.

I dunno if its blizzard because this has been ongoing for multiple weeks now... unless I just got very unlucky and did it once and they were having an issue and it was fine when i forgot about it just to be having another issue again

System Specs

9 hours ago, Nexxus said:

Yeah thats exactly what I did just with all possible variables since i dunno what the correct one was.

I dunno if its blizzard because this has been ongoing for multiple weeks now... unless I just got very unlucky and did it once and they were having an issue and it was fine when i forgot about it just to be having another issue again

I think it’s just battle.net server side problems

9 hours ago, TechlessBro said:

Have you ever run any free harden tools or scripts, or the clean up the OS to make it faster apps?

Lol no, only thing I use is ccleaner on occation in the same way I have been doing so for a decade

I think it’s just battle.net server side problems

Dont think so, seems some are complaining about this since the maintance monday but ive been having this issue before that. its been ongoing for a month.

System Specs

4 hours ago, Nexxus said:

Lol no, only thing I use is ccleaner on occation in the same way I have been doing so for a decade

Dont think so, seems some are complaining about this since the maintance monday but ive been having this issue before that. its been ongoing for a month.

I loaded up ow2 on battle.net this has been happening to me too now 😞 

4 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

I loaded up ow2 on battle.net this has been happening to me too now 😞 

Seems its happening to a lot, I made a thread on the subject friday or something.

And then after monday all of a sudden the tread was flooded with people saying me too, but yeah pretty sure they are 2 different issues

System Specs

1 hour ago, Nexxus said:

Seems its happening to a lot, I made a thread on the subject friday or something.

And then after monday all of a sudden the tread was flooded with people saying me too, but yeah pretty sure they are 2 different issues

I would just wait for a patch as they come pretty fast. I know it may sound dumb but doing as little as logging in and out of battle.net can help loop back the authentication and it sometimes works.

I would just wait for a patch as they come pretty fast. I know it may sound dumb but doing as little as logging in and out of battle.net can help loop back the authentication and it sometimes works.

Unfortunately I just wanted it for the d4 beta. There is quite literally 0 reason for me to even need battle.net otherwise

Edit - Installs and runs on the Steam Deck just fine... this stupid fucking launcher

System Specs

1 hour ago, Nexxus said:

Unfortunately I just wanted it for the d4 beta. There is quite literally 0 reason for me to even need battle.net otherwise

Edit - Installs and runs on the Steam Deck just fine... this stupid fucking launcher

I'd remove those incoming rules on the router, its clearly not related to that or the laptop wouldn't work either.  If it had been incoming related then the laptop would be using uPNP to do it dynamically as having a fixed rule would mean it ONLY would work on that one PC after that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7