What should I upgrade to? (Limited budget)

Hi all,

I am looking at possible upgrade paths for my system’s processor. I am currently on a i5-7500 running on an ITX motherboard due to the case, gtx1070 and 16GB of RAM. I am looking at getting more CPU performance by upgrading and was wondering whether it is at all worth to get an i7-7700K (I can get one for £120 being in the UK) or should I look to save up a little bit and get an AM4 ITX motherboard and a a ryzen 5 5600X or 5600G. The problem with the second option is that I would also need to change the RAM so it works out quite a lot more expensive than just going for the i7 7700K but just wanted to ask whether it is at all worth it to get it and whether there will be any difference. I mainly use the system for work (20-30 Chrome Tabs and occasional light program running in the background) but also for gaming, but am not looking to get the best performance just to be able to play newer games on reasonable 1080p settings.

Ok , upgrading from 7700k, the 7700k has a good IPC, if you manage to sell the CPU and board you can get a 3900x or a 5900x keep the ddr4 and you can get a cheap b450 board that has bios flash back. But I think if you just upgrade to the 7700k you will be more then ok. hold the platform for loads more time. the GTX 1070 does not use that cpu at all even at 1080p. 

This is my opinion, Upgrade cpu to 7700k(be aware is hoter then the 7500), upgrade gpu to a 6800xt and upgrade monitor to a 4k or 1440p maybe ultra wide. This will make your system amazing and you can work and play games. the 7700k will be ok maybe some bottleneck on some game but dont worry about it, the way to avoid that is just to limit fps . 

Your 7500 is running DDR3?  That's kinda odd.  Most of those boards were DDR 4.

Also:  Don't get a 5600G unless you specifically need the iGPU on it.  It's a very hamstrung chip compared to the 5600 or 5600X.

Thank you for that! That is kind of what I was thinking as well as. One question on that. Am I better off with the 7700K for £135 or should I go for the 7700 for £90 or is the performance difference quite noticeable and am better off with the 7700K. Bearing in mind that the motherboard doesn’t support any over locking and the PC case is an ITX case (Thermaltake Core V1) with an ok cooling performance.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Your 7500 is running DDR3?  That's kinda odd.  Most of those boards were DDR 4.

Also:  Don't get a 5600G unless you specifically need the iGPU on it.  It's a very hamstrung chip compared to the 5600 or 5600X.

It’s running DDR4 at 2133.

Just now, Imsomadbg said:

It’s running DDR4 at 2133.

While not the fastest, it'll work on a Ryzen.

At least it'll work long enough until you can save a bit more to replace the RAM later.  

4 minutes ago, Imsomadbg said:

better off with the 7700K for £135 or should I go for the 7700 for £90 or is the performance

Neither 8 thread chips like these are next on the chopping block for stutter free gaming

I really recommend moving away from these platforms as 135 pounds for a 7700k is a massive ripoff so is 90 for a 7700 when you can get a i3 10100 for example which is better and far cheaper. DO NOT GET IT ITS NOT WORTH IT EITHER. Just as an illustration as those tend to go used for like 50 pounds.

What is your budget?

Either way leave your platform behind its really not worth it

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

While not the fastest, it'll work on a Ryzen.

At least it'll work long enough until you can save a bit more to replace the RAM later.  

The problem with upgrading to Ryzen is that the cost jumps up quite massively as motherboards here in the UK are quite expensive especially ITX. I think the cheapest I found was £115 and then another £160 for the 5600X. 

where the i7-7700 is 90£ and the i7-7700K is £125 and no need to change the motherboard.

Just now, jaslion said:

Neither 8 thread chips like these are next on the chopping block for stutter free gaming

I really recommend moving away from these platforms as 135 pounds for a 7700k is a massive ripoff so is 90 for a 7700 when you can get a i3 10100 for example which is better and far cheaper. DO NOT GET IT ITS NOT WORTH IT EITHER. Just as an illustration as those tend to go used for like 50 pounds.

What is your budget?

Either way leave your platform behind its really not worth it

Budget is around 200-300£ right now.

Just now, Imsomadbg said:

Budget is around 200-300£ right now.

Yeah so a b550 board + ryzen 5600 is an easy fit in that.

Reuse the slow old ram and call it a day.

Going to an i7 7700 isn't going to be worth the cash.

You're looking at a relatively minor upgrade (for most tasks).  The CPU Cores in your i5 and the i7 are the same.  You'd add a smidge more MHz, and also add hyperthreading.  Nothing else.

ITX is always more expensive.  That's the big drawback of ITX.  

5 minutes ago, Imsomadbg said:

The problem with upgrading to Ryzen is that the cost jumps up quite massively as motherboards here in the UK are quite expensive especially ITX. I think the cheapest I found was £115 and then another £160 for the 5600X. 

where the i7-7700 is 90£ and the i7-7700K is £125 and no need to change the motherboard.

Difference is that with the 5600 you are set for many years whilst the 7700 is at best a stopgap solution for possibly a year

I think I will go with the ryzen to last a bit longer but am gonna try and see if there is a saving that could be made by going second hand as there seem to be quite a few Ryzen 5 5000s coming up locally. Motherboard I think I will get new as it is very difficult to get an ITX second hand. Thank you all.

really appreciate the help.