H100i high temps after case change

Morgoth557
Go to solution Solved by GeTecknics,

OP's housemate.

Ambient tempurature - I'm wearing 3 pairs of socks and an army jumper.

My FX8350 w/ H100i is running 20c idle with no overclocking... same thermal compound mostly same components but I'm on a Sabertooth and FX8350.

My A+ Technician's certification isn't helping us diagnose this either and I helped put this build and the last one together. No cabling is different, same thermal paste, same fans, same locations. Only difference is the case.

looks like the h100i is messed up then maybe a pump problem might just be easier to rma then deal with it yourself 

So I recently changed case from the Coolermaster HAF X to the Obsidian 900D from Corsair, moved all of the components over to the new case, put it all together, and now with my radiator fans almost maxed out I'm getting temps of between 55°C and 65°C, where in the old case my temps were more between 20°C and 30°C with the fans on low. I have exhausted all problems that I can think of at this stage so any help would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 3.9GHz

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme

First Build (Kinda)CPU: i7 3770k MOBO: Asus Maximus V Extreme RAM: 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256gb HDD: Seagate 2TB PSU: Corsair AX1200 Case: Corsair 900D

Did you take the block off of the CPU then reinstall it? if so that may have caused temp issues if it isn't seated correctly.

So I recently changed case from the Coolermaster HAF X to the Obsidian 900D from Corsair, moved all of the components over to the new case, put it all together, and now with my radiator fans almost maxed out I'm getting temps of between 55°C and 65°C, where in the old case my temps were more between 20°C and 30°C with the fans on low. I have exhausted all problems that I can think of at this stage so any help would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 3.9GHz

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme

Check the back plate is mounted correctly, perhaps there isnt enough pressure on the CPU to create a good seal 

img_7385.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Did you remove old thermal paste & applied new one? Also what thermal paste did you use?

Isn't HAF better for temperatures than Obsidian?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Did you remove old thermal paste & applied new one? Also what thermal paste did you use?

Doubt it would add like 30 degrees

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

since it happened to me it is possible that it might happen to you but i doubt it but did you plug in the pump power to the cpu fan header and the sata power i forgot but i luckily caught it before any damage worth a check. Also maybe you have your fans blocked by something 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

Did you take the block off of the CPU then reinstall it? if so that may have caused temp issues if it isn't seated correctly.

Yes I took off the block but I have already suspected that this might have been the issue and have reinstalled the block since moving to the new case so unless I got it wrong twice in a row I doubt this is the reason.

Check the back plate is mounted correctly, perhaps there isnt enough pressure on the CPU to create a good seal 

Yeah I checked that, its mounted the correct way.

The thermal paste I used was Arctic Silver 5.

First Build (Kinda)CPU: i7 3770k MOBO: Asus Maximus V Extreme RAM: 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256gb HDD: Seagate 2TB PSU: Corsair AX1200 Case: Corsair 900D

did you change the fans in any way are they blocked?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

did you change the fans in any way are they blocked?

since it happened to me it is possible that it might happen to you but i doubt it but did you plug in the pump power to the cpu fan header and the sata power i forgot but i luckily caught it before any damage worth a check. Also maybe you have your fans blocked by something 

I took the top off the case and the fans are all spinning fine, they are the same ones from the last case.

OP's housemate.

My FX8350 w/ H100i is running 20c idle with no overclocking... same thermal compound mostly same components but I'm on a Sabertooth and FX8350.

My A+ Technician's certification isn't helping us diagnose this either and I helped put this build and the last one together. No cabling is different, same thermal paste, same fans, same locations. Only difference is the case.

OP's housemate.

looks like the h100i is messed up then maybe a pump problem might just be easier to rma then deal with it yourself 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

Sounds like you might have damaged the h100i in the process of switching cases. You might want to swap with your roommate's h100i for troubleshooting.

Yeah just swapped the coolers over and getting a sweet 25 - 30 degrees, looks like I'll be getting a new cooler. This is mildly annoying.

Yeah just swapped the coolers over and getting a sweet 25 - 30 degrees, looks like I'll be getting a new cooler. This is mildly annoying.

yea....corsairs rma process is really simple though, if your used to shipping stuff. when i rma'd mine i got a new in a week 4 business days if you wanna be technical about it and their support team is really nice about it i cant remember the guys name but i think it ram guy and he really helped me out with any questions i had with a response usually within an hour or two. 

its GE (pause) TechNicks