GPU power limit stuck at 0% in afterburner and core clock stuck at 420mHz

So I'm running a 3090 FE, booted up my pc today to try and optimise my 7900x3d with some advice from Gamers Nexus by installing the AMD Chipset installer thingy. And from that point onwards it seems, my power limit has been stuck at 0%. Every time I try and move the slider as well as the temp limit, every time I hit apply it goes right back to 0. I've done some digging and I might try flashing my VBIOS but I've never done it before and don't want to get it wrong. It's just weird how the power limit is 0% and not 100% like default. I also tried using GPU-Z to get the VBIOS information and I got a popup saying "VBIOS information could not be read" or something along those lines

Screenshot 2023-03-20 014056.png

I would attempt a DDU on the 3090 driver and do a fresh reinstall of the driver after a reboot. I'm guessing the chipset driver updated something for your cpu's IGP/driver and it clashed with your already installed GPU driver.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

11 hours ago, GzeroD said:

I would attempt a DDU on the 3090 driver and do a fresh reinstall of the driver after a reboot. I'm guessing the chipset driver updated something for your cpu's IGP/driver and it clashed with your already installed GPU driver.

I'll give it a shot, this might be a silly question but should I use my IGP instead of the desecrate gpu when doing this? if I'm reinstalling the driver surely it will uninstall it and then reinstall so if I use the dedicated gpu when it uninstalls the driver I will get no video? I've also never used DDU so if you have any suggestions on helpful guides or tutorials I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you for your response though, this gives me hope that I can go back to playing cyberpunk soon 🙂

Okay so I've been at this for around 5-6 hours. I've used DDU, but even after installing the base coat windows NVIDIA driver my core clock is still stuck at 420mhz. Sometimes my power limit slider is unlocked and applyable after checking unlock core voltage but my temp slider seems permanently broken and every time I move it it defaults back to zero not even 100% just 0. I can increase the core and memory clock but hitting apply seems to only keep the slider in place and not affect anything. I honestly have no idea what to do because I've tried 3 previous driver versions of drivers I know I have downloaded before each time only installing after wiping the previous driver and also performing a clean install on the driver and still the same behaviour is exhibited. I'm starting to think maybe something inside the card may be broken but I may also be going crazy from troubleshooting this stupid thing all day. At this point I don't even know if flashing the VBIOS would solve anything but I hope to god I didn't waste 3 months of paycheck savings on this card.

Okay so I have tried a lot of things. flashing the vbios did nothing and I have also noticed that my memory clock is constantly stuck at 9751 in both afterburner and hwinfo. I removed the card, tried my older 3060 and that works perfectly, I can change anything I want on it and it behaves normally. the 3090 just sits there and the clocks on both mem and core sit and don't change numbers at all no matter what I do, Idle, running heaven, chrome, not even a little fluctuation. This is really confusing me because if flashing the vbios didn't work and changing drivers didn't work. What do I do now?

• 1 month later...

Did u ever find a fix for this? I have a 4090 that has this issue sometimes on a restart or boot up, restarting a few times will fix it but just spent over 4k on this build I shouldn't have to reboot to fix. Obviously games run like crap when this has happened cuz the gpu power limit is stuck at zero. Everytime it happens it throws event ID 14 nvldmm error in event viewer. I've tried ddu and fresh windows install and issue remains.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, also 4090. Just replaced my mobo after the PCI-e connector ended up dying (probably cause of the weight even though I made sure to have it supported) and in the new x570 board it's stuck at 855Mhz, and Power limit 0. Whenever I click save it just reverts back to 0 again. I am running a cable mod riser, thought maybe that's the issue, but I can't really fit the card in any other way.

Ok a lot of time has passed. After more and more troubleshooting I thought it was my motherboard that was the issue and had a whole cerfuffle with Ebuyer because I sent my mobo for RMA and they bent the pins and tried to blame it on me, had to threaten to take them to court to even get a refund, new mobo arrived, was fine until I reinstalled either Icue or Lconnect and I think it might be one of those that is causing the weird behaviour because everything was fine until I installed them. Gonna uninstall them and update if anything changes

Uninstalled both iCue and Lconnect 3 and the issue still persists, was on driver version 528 something something so I'm gonna update to the latest driver and hope that works but I'm really pissed off at this point. Everything was fine last night and somehow watching Youtube and installing iCue or something or other has messed it all up

Okay so I've made a list of all the things I did since I booted up my system prior to me realising the issue has returned. Oh and no matter how many time I restart my system the issue persists so I have resorted to putting my RTX 3060 back in so I am now down £700 😕

-Ignored messages telling me to install GCC (Gigabyte Control Center) as I have already installed chipset and AMD APU drivers which didn't fix the issue

-Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro and activated Windows

-Installed iCue and Lconnect 3

-Updated my DDR5 firmware through iCue (didn't know RAM had firmware to update but here we are I guess)

-Played Fifa 23

-Disabled Elgato Camera Hub and Opera GX on Startup

-Watched Youtube

-Attempted to play Jedi Survivor

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I've done a lot since the last update, I decided to upgrade to Windows 11 which was a pain in the butt as I had to format my C drive as it was on MBR and not GPT so I had to fiddle around with the partitions but eventually I upgraded to Windows 11 and my system seems to be more stable since then. I still have not installed iCue or Lconnect and have been hesitant to reinstall them but I think I am going to later today. If I do not continue this thread for a while that means they had no impact on my GPU stability and they were not the crux of the issue.

I am led to believe that maybe something was wrong with my C drive and formatting that drive in order to start over with a fresh install of Windows 11 has fixed the issue. But I can never be too careful. I still have no idea with 100% certainty what started this whole mess but oh well

Hello, I solved the same problem. I just had to roll back the BIOS of the motherboard to an older version and the problem disappeared immediately

Hello, I solved the same problem. Everything just had to roll back the BIOS of the motherboard to an older version and the problem disappeared immediately. after I installed the older bios forcibly using the button on the back panel of the flash BIOS - this is the only way to install the old version of the bios. I hope this helps you

• 4 months later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:43 PM, Terifictaylor10 said:

So I'm running a 3090 FE, booted up my pc today to try and optimise my 7900x3d with some advice from Gamers Nexus by installing the AMD Chipset installer thingy. And from that point onwards it seems, my power limit has been stuck at 0%. Every time I try and move the slider as well as the temp limit, every time I hit apply it goes right back to 0. I've done some digging and I might try flashing my VBIOS but I've never done it before and don't want to get it wrong. It's just weird how the power limit is 0% and not 100% like default. I also tried using GPU-Z to get the VBIOS information and I got a popup saying "VBIOS information could not be read" or something along those lines

Screenshot 2023-03-20 014056.png

I've had this issue when AFterburner or EVGA X1 is installed. Im following the guide here: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-generic-windows-10-solutions-for-egpu-bsod-crashing-and-system-freezing-link-state-power-management-tdrdelay-tdrddidelay-nvidia-power-management-settings/?foro=signin