i7 13700k vs 7900x build

Chriexpe

I'm probably overthinking this but hey, asking doesn't hurt.

I'm planning in building a server where I'd isolate 6 cores (P cores on Intel or one CCD on AMD) for my gaming VM, leaving the rest for the server, for this I'll need at least 64GB (2x32GB) of RAM, but I'm wrapping my head around this dilema of DDR4 vs DDR5, Latency vs Speed. Should I really care about this considering that both CPUs are high end where the bottleneck will be always on GPU side? I don't plan getting a 4090 but rather 7900xt or lower and the monitor resolution is 1440p (at 144hz).

I already have a Unraid server w/ 32GB i7 4700k that is constantly at 90% ram and 50% CPU usage, and my current desktop is a i5 6600k 16GB w/ GTX970.

Yeah I know some games don't like VM but I don't play them anyway.

This is the specs I've been thinking about:

I7 13700k   $440

Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4   $230

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x32GB 3600 CL18 (or similar) $150          (I even considered 4000mhz but it seems to be on DDR5 territory in price-performance)

Cooler to tame the beast     $100    (Probably Scythe Fuma 2)

But with DDR5 the prices are way higher, tho I'm certainly exaggerating on RAM.

7900x       $410

B650 motherboard   $250

G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo 2x32GB DDR5 6000MT/s CL30   $300       (5600 CL36 is $30 cheaper)

Cooler to tame the beast     $100    (Probably Scythe Fuma 2)

I already own the PSU (XPG Core Reactor 800w) and storage devices.

GPU isn't a priority for now but as I said above it'll probably be a 7900xt, but I wonder if it's worth just getting one 6900xt instead of waiting for 7900xt prices to go down.

Temps shouldn't be a problem, I'll mount on a open case inside a well cooled small server rack (with switches etc.)

Just for price context, CPU is from Aliexpress, RAM I'm looking at Newegg/Amazon but adding $30 for shipping, and motherboard I'll be buying one locally, so it's +30% compared to US prices .

Budget (including currency): $900 (ofc the less better)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Server and casual single player gaming but mostly internet browsing

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

This wont work as well as you think it will. VM Gaming straight up doesnt work for the most part with how modern Anti cheat stuff is now. If you want a dedicated server, get a dedicated server box, if you want a gaming PC, Get a gaming PC box, trying to do hybrid crap almost always ends in a massive headache that is not worth the effort in doing, with all the other issues that will occur. 

Save your time and effort, just use two independent systems. You can get really cheap 3000 series Ryzen+mobo+ram combos, it should not be that hard to find.

Modern drm breaks on vms which basically means most AAA games flat out wont work and a good few indies too.

Vm gaming is hell btw you spend more time fixing things and keeping things running than using the device.

4 hours ago, Shimejii said:

This wont work as well as you think it will. VM Gaming straight up doesnt work for the most part with how modern Anti cheat stuff is now. If you want a dedicated server, get a dedicated server box, if you want a gaming PC, Get a gaming PC box, trying to do hybrid crap almost always ends in a massive headache that is not worth the effort in doing, with all the other issues that will occur. 

Save your time and effort, just use two independent systems. You can get really cheap 3000 series Ryzen+mobo+ram combos, it should not be that hard to find.

Hmmm that's fair, I'd see people saying it's quite straightforward but if even Linus couldn't (and didn't) do it, there must be a good reason lol.

Now for gaming (not that frequent) what is the best option in your opinion? 13700k w/ a good DDR4 or 7900x w/ DDR5? Or literally just pick the one that's cheaper?

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Modern drm breaks on vms which basically means most AAA games flat out wont work and a good few indies too.

Vm gaming is hell btw you spend more time fixing things and keeping things running than using the device.

Crap I forgot about this, even if I don't play games with that kind of anti-cheat there's also DRM...

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

8 hours ago, Chriexpe said:

13700k w/ a good DDR4 or 7900x w/ DDR5? Or literally just pick the one that's cheaper?

A 13600k is really all you'll need till the xbox series and ps5 are replaced

Ddr5 can be an option but for gaming it offers little benefit atm and also its still first gen ddr5. Think of ddr4 2133mhz-2666mhz of where we are at now for ddr5 in its lifecycle. Its getting decent now finallt but its still very expensive for ram that finally beats a cheap cl16 3200mhz ddr4 kit

You buying in usa? If so I can just do a pcpartpicker

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

A 13600k is really all you'll need till the xbox series and ps5 are replaced

Ddr5 can be an option but for gaming it offers little benefit atm and also its still first gen ddr5. Think of ddr4 2133mhz-2666mhz of where we are at now for ddr5 in its lifecycle. Its getting decent now finallt but its still very expensive for ram that finally beats a cheap cl16 3200mhz ddr4 kit

Good point, any CPU upgrade down the line will bottleneck with this RAM (in the case of AMD)

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

You buying in usa? If so I can just do a pcpartpicker

Yup