Things you wish you knew before you cleaned your keyboard

The Pizza Man

Just re-watched the dishwasher video and suffice to say, I neither have the time to wait for the keyboard to dry, nor do I have the money for it to go wrong!

I have a Corsair K70 RGB mk2 and, frankly, it needs a clean yesterday. I'll grab a microfibre cloth and see if I can find my key-puller... 

Any tips you wish you knew to begin with from people who've owned a 'nice' keyboard longer than I have?

Thanks!

Tom.

2 minutes ago, The Pizza Man said:

Just re-watched the dishwasher video and suffice to say, I neither have the time to wait for the keyboard to dry, nor do I have the money for it to go wrong!

I have a Corsair K70 RGB mk2 and, frankly, it needs a clean yesterday. I'll grab a microfibre cloth and see if I can find my key-puller... 

Any tips you wish you knew to begin with from people who've owned a 'nice' keyboard longer than I have?

Thanks!

Tom.

an Electric PC duster with those brush tips are excellent once you have removed the keys 🙂
https://imgaz1.staticbg.com/thumb/large/oaupload/banggood/images/72/50/74be3688-491f-413f-a9bc-7f90ecc6b7b2.jpg.webp

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

an Electric PC duster with those brush tips are excellent once you have removed the keys 🙂
https://imgaz1.staticbg.com/thumb/large/oaupload/banggood/images/72/50/74be3688-491f-413f-a9bc-7f90ecc6b7b2.jpg.webp

Oooh fancy. Are blowers generally better than vacuums for this kind of thing? I know the whole electron movement thing is still debated. Less of an issue for keyboard cleaning, granted, but it'd be great if I could also service the inside of my PC with it too!

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Drown it in isopropyl alcohol or brake cleaner and wipe it clean

Nice! Might do that to get the grime off the keys actually. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, The Pizza Man said:

Nice! Might do that to get the grime off the keys actually. Thanks!

Keys Ibuse a soft wire brush and some dish soap in a bucket

57 minutes ago, The Pizza Man said:

Oooh fancy. Are blowers generally better than vacuums for this kind of thing? I know the whole electron movement thing is still debated. Less of an issue for keyboard cleaning, granted, but it'd be great if I could also service the inside of my PC with it too!

Its mainly used to clean dust inside the PC.  No more buying compressed air in a can!  One time purchase for many years 🙂  Vacuum is bad inside PC as it can create static electricity ( low chance though ).   I used it on my PS4 and Laptop and even after cleaning my motorcycle chain by getting the water out of the O-rings before putting on chain lube, no more waiting an hour before I can ride 😄  I love mine.

Take pics of the keyboard before you start cleaning it.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, emothxughts said:

Take pics of the keyboard before you start cleaning it.

Oh yes, this absolutely.

Once every year or two, I pull all my caps off, soak them in warm soapy water, and wipe them off with a microfibre cloth. They take ages to dry underneath, but they do look and feel like new caps again. 

Vacuuming your keyboard is absolutely fine. Getting some small brush attachments for your vacuum will make things a bit easier, and is good for staying on top of cleaning it when it is assembled again.