Mystery device wifi data sucker

ConnerTW
Go to solution Solved by ConnerTW,

I started going around the house to find it, i did

Ok so I am using ubiquity to show this and I keep banning the device you see on my network. Every day it reappears under a new mac address. If I did not have a data cap this would be fine but because I have starlink this is a big problem. How do I find this "mystery device?" Its using 25gb a day and starlink caps us at 1tb. Everyone at my house says I did not kick them off when I do this, so its not one of the major devices. Our security cameras are hardlined into the network switch so I know it is not that. Please help, I want to desperately find the mystery sucker

image.thumb.png.d189d3de3f5e46ee55ba51d7a8eec67e.png

4 minutes ago, ConnerTW said:

Ok so I am using ubiquity to show this and I keep banning the device you see on my network. Every day it reappears under a new mac address. If I did not have a data cap this would be fine but because I have starlink this is a big problem. How do I find this "mystery device?" Its using 25gb a day and starlink caps us at 1tb. Everyone at my house says I did not kick them off when I do this, so its not one of the major devices. Our security cameras are hardlined into the network switch so I know it is not that. Please help, I want to desperately find the mystery sucker

image.thumb.png.d189d3de3f5e46ee55ba51d7a8eec67e.png

I noticed on my iPhone that there is an option in the WiFi settings for Private WiFi Address. It seems that what it does it roll your MAC address each time it connects to a network. It's suppose to be for when connecting to Public WiFi it reduces the ability tracking. So if you have an iOS device that could be it. Otherwise similar options could exist on other products. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I would update your network name and password first. Then if it continues to get on I would setup a MAC filter whitelist and only devices with MAC's that are whitelisted will be able to connect. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Have you done a vendor search to try to find out what the device might be? If you are really worried about it you could enable MAC filtering if starlink allows that.

the device ramped up to a staggering 90 mbps download when i scanned the network with advanced Ip

3 minutes ago, ConnerTW said:

Its not my device but how would I know if it is a switch? @da na

Switch, access point, or router seems like what it is if it keeps changing MAC address and increases throughput when more load is put on the network.

Finished the scan? Check the manufacturer.

3 minutes ago, da na said:

Switch, access point, or router seems like what it is if it keeps changing MAC address and increases throughput when more load is put on the network.

Finished the scan? Check the manufacturer.

No manufacturer listed

it also seems that exactly every 24 hours it either turns off or switches its mac address. It would be a device that is at home all the time, using data all the time. Also every few mins it will spike up in download speeds 

i have also figured out that it is closer to the upstairs access point. It also must be new because it is using wifi 6 unlike most of the other devices

Just now, ConnerTW said:

May we ask what kind of device? Just wondering since the Mac address kept changing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.