13900K Cooling, help.

Duke01

Hello,

I have an i9-13900K and an RTX 4090 in my system, both water-cooled using 2 x 360 radiators - one as an intake and one as an outtake.

The power limit of the RTX 4090 is set to 70% (based on a video from der8auer), and the i9-13900K has PL1 100W and PL2 200W, with the MCU disabled (also based on a video from der8auer), using ThermalGrizzly CPU Contact Frame.

However, the i9-13900K is still experiencing thermal throttling while gaming, with temperatures exceeding 90°C. Do you think my cooling system is still insufficient?

Best regards,

Duke

PXL_20230316_171044529.jpg

3 minutes ago, Duke01 said:

outtake

*Exhaust

Loop order matters a lot, so it would be lovely to know that.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Can we get: 

- Pics of Hwinfo64 with Watt and cpu temps when running cinebench r23?

- same test with sideglass panel off? (pics) 

Loop order:

DistroPlate -> GPU -> CPU -> Top Rad. -> Bottom Rad. -> DistroPlate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw a video from JayZTwoCents doing various tests regarding loop matter and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. Also, the Distro Plate kind of forces me to this loop order.

Cinebench tests have to wait, I dont have much time lately. Also, it's late here in Germany, and I should go to bed now😅. I haven't used Cinebench R23 before. Can you tell me how long I should let it run, and what else I should consider?

3 minutes ago, Duke01 said:

Loop order:

DistroPlate -> GPU -> CPU -> Top Rad. -> Bottom Rad. -> DistroPlate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw a video from JayZTwoCents doing various tests regarding loop matter and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. Also, the Distro Plate kind of forces me to this loop order.

Cinebench tests have to wait, I dont have much time lately. Also, it's late here in Germany, and I should go to bed now😅. I haven't used Cinebench R23 before. Can you tell me how long I should let it run, and what else I should consider?

1 guess one run would do (2min total) 

but 10m is better...

you are right loop order matter very little... its like 1-3c max

To be honest, in general I think the two of those components in a singular system are going to draw imense heat. Also, incase you dont regularly watch, the 13900k is essentially impossible to cool, even in the chiller video recently released, under load the cpu was stil running around 60c when they were testing. I honestly dont think your going to improve too much unless you choose a different CPU. The only thing I could think would be two seperate loops, one for each of those power hungry beasts as I feel its a bit much to expect one loop to cool all of that. 

I do feel water cooling was the way to go, also sick build, it is beautiful. 

6 hours ago, KJustice said:

To be honest, in general I think the two of those components in a singular system are going to draw imense heat. Also, incase you dont regularly watch, the 13900k is essentially impossible to cool,

image.thumb.png.255d00d86a70eecd9917b21a8fda5de1.png

maybe too much or too little thermal paste?, but the 13900K is an absolute monster to cool.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Here is the requested screenshot. I did a 5-minute run (10 passes).

When researching about the 13900k, I saw a few videos from der8auer and Hardware canucks, showing that the impossible-to-cool high temperatures came mostly from an open power limit set by the motherboard manufacturers, allowing the CPU to draw as much power as it wants, like 350W and above. With power limits in place, like the Intel specs one, most decent air coolers could even cool the 13900k.

I think a single 360 rad should be plenty to cool a 13900k, same with the 4090. That's at least what I found online and how I understood it. Before I built the custom loop, I used a 360 AIO, and the CPU while gaming peaked at max 80C (with Intel Power limits PL1: 125X, PL2: 253W). But the AIO wasn't the quietest, and the Zotac 4090 Fans are mad loud even at 30% fan speed. That's why I went water-cooling.

I'm sure that I probably used a tiny bit too much thermal paste, Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut in particular. I also spread it myself to make sure it covers the whole heatspreader.

Could it be the pump? It's the EK-XTOP DDC 4.2 PWM Elite. Or is the loop too restrictive? I'm using 4x Coolance QDC fittings for easier maintenance. (Well, it's useless for the CPU since the water block is mounted from the back, and it's blocked by the case, since the cutout isn't big enough 😅).

Also, using Z690M AORUS ELITE AX DDR4 as the motherboard, I kinda hate it so far, at least the software side, "MCE" disabled, V-Offset -0.095, power limits in place.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 130012.png

might need a hwinfo64 from after som gaming... 71c there is nothing to complain about 

but ye 71c at 110w is high.. much higher than my 240 aio would get 

a bad cpu-coldplate mount is very possible 

Your loop looks a bit restrictive and I would not want to clean that, no drain port 😆 Hows your temps when running load on both CPU and GPU? I would have placed a rad where the distro plate is instead and made bottom intake instead to get all the hot air out of the case.  

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Probably should take it apart again and try remounting the CPU Waterblock, such a hassle tho 😅

9 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Your loop looks a bit restrictive and I would not want to clean that, no drain port 😆

Jokes on you, but there is a drain port, on the back side of the distro plate 🙂. Also, to get the CPU/GPU out quickly, I have the Koolance QDC fittings.

I played now for about 45 minutes Sons of the Forest, here's a screenshot of HWINFO64.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 234520.png

What case and distro plate are you using?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

10 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

What case and distro plate are you using?

"Lian Li O11 Dynamic mini", and "Stealkey Distro Plate for Lian Li O11D Mini - MK1"

5 hours ago, Duke01 said:

"Lian Li O11 Dynamic mini", and "Stealkey Distro Plate for Lian Li O11D Mini - MK1"

Thanks.

Okay, so the loop appears to be hooked up properly.

What is your pump speed / flow rate?

If it's too slow, that could contribute to high temperatures.

The other thing I could see, because of the loop order:
Distro --> GPU --> CPU --> Rad #1 --> Rad #2 --> Distro

The coolant is already heated from the GPU, before it flows into the CPU.

IF the flow rate is high enough, loop order shouldn't matter....but I'm wondering if you could re-arrange the loop so it is:

Distro --> GPU --> Rad #1 --> CPU --> Rad #2 --> Distro

Again, it comes back to your pump speed / flow rate.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 hours ago, Duke01 said:

Probably should take it apart again and try remounting the CPU Waterblock, such a hassle tho 😅

Jokes on you, but there is a drain port, on the back side of the distro plate 🙂. Also, to get the CPU/GPU out quickly, I have the Koolance QDC fittings.

I played now for about 45 minutes Sons of the Forest, here's a screenshot of HWINFO64.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 234520.png

need to see GPU temp and Watt

700mhz on ur GPU...  thats strange...

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Thanks.

Okay, so the loop appears to be hooked up properly.

If it's too slow, that could contribute to high temperatures.

The other thing I could see, because of the loop order:
Distro --> GPU --> CPU --> Rad #1 --> Rad #2 --> Distro

The coolant is already heated from the GPU, before it flows into the CPU.

IF the flow rate is high enough, loop order shouldn't matter....but I'm wondering if you could re-arrange the loop so it is:

Distro --> GPU --> Rad #1 --> CPU --> Rad #2 --> Distro

Again, it comes back to your pump speed / flow rate.

when i put my pump to very very low speed the Water temp diff between out on the cpu and out on the gpu is like 4c at the most 

it makes a diff when ur pushing OCs, but i dont think its the answer here thb

13 hours ago, Duke01 said:

Ok thats much better then! 🙂

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Okay, finally made it! I took the motherboard out again and reseated the waterblock. The thermal paste looked a bit like it wasn't spread optimally, so after a test installation that looked gorgeous, I reinstalled it. I am testing it right now.

8 hours ago, -rascal- said:

What I forgot to mention is that before, at idle, temperatures were around 30-40C with a fan speed of 525RPM and pump speed of 1200RPM. But when the CPU was running hot while gaming (90C+), the pump ran at full speed (4400RPM), the fans as well (2100RPM).

6 hours ago, NorKris said:

need to see GPU temp and Watt

Indeed, I haven't noticed it before. It could be because I limited the GPU power to 70% (based on a video from der8auer) and in-game FPS were capped at 120 FPS, because the game would crash if FPS were not capped. I'll test it today in the evening. For now, I have to watch over my bit over a year old nephew 🙂.

For the time being, here's a screenshot of a 10-minute Cinebench run after my little operation.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 152322.png

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

that looks so much better man! good job

hanks, but I'm still skeptical. The tests were done right after I finished reseating the waterblock, when the water and all the components were still cold. I'm sure 10 minutes weren't long enough, but gaming to test it out will have to wait until the evening 😅.

Just now, Duke01 said:

hanks, but I'm still skeptical. The tests were done right after I finished reseating the waterblock, when the water and all the components were still cold. I'm sure 10 minutes weren't long enough, but gaming to test it out will have to wait until the evening 😅.

true, 10m is not enough for a custom loop, only for a 240 aio or somthing.

but the fact that u got good contact now is proven by the lower temps at ALOT more  watt-wut-wut 😄 

Screenshot after 1h playing "sons of the forest"

1590199274_Screenshot2023-03-18220359.thumb.png.f2bfe1cae0aa2b59f5f6b42bb8140bdb.png

Screenshot after 30 more minutes playing "sons of the forest" with glas panels removed.

2087573020_Screenshot2023-03-18223949.thumb.png.0e09dc20d8b7863eee27366874b5e027.png

13 hours ago, NorKris said:

I noticed its the intigrated GPU, the 4090 runs at 2745mHz.

Anyway, I think reseating the water block was a good idea. Temps didn't drop as much as I had hoped. I'm thinking about ditching the side-mounted distro plate and replacing it with a front-mounted one from EK. I also plan to replace the front glass panel and add three more fans: two on the side and one in the back.

Furthermore, I hope to get a less noisy D5 pump, which comes with the EK front distro plate, but it's a "compact" one. I'm not sure if it's any better than the EK-XTOP DDC pump I currently have.

Oh, and by the way, thank you very much to everyone who helped me out here 🙂

Good i still had HWINFO64 open, heres a screenshot of the GPU:

1495570218_Screenshot2023-03-18232636.thumb.png.4221fbb460b04203e9e31d7d99b1b8ef.png