WHAT CPUS ARE SUPPORTED BY THIS MOTHERBOARD?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

That looks like a dell t420. There should also be a service tag on that back that shows all the info and the config it shipped with.

Its lga 1356, and supports e5 2640 and e5 2640 v2 cpus(with newer bios models)(check with the server tag. If it shipped with v2 chips its seupports them.

Hi, I recently got an old PC and was wondering which CPUs are supported. I think it is either LGA 1366 or LGA 1356. It is a Dell workstation but I don’t know the model. I have attached a picture. Help appreciated!

E7823729-1AD3-444B-B61E-A7273A417754.jpeg

That is almost certainly an LGA 1366 socket. Supported CPUs will depend on the board's BIOS, but I would be very surprised if something like a Xeon X5650 didn't work, and they're only like $10 on eBay for a pair so not really much harm in trying one and seeing what happens. 

That looks like a dell t420. There should also be a service tag on that back that shows all the info and the config it shipped with.

Its lga 1356, and supports e5 2640 and e5 2640 v2 cpus(with newer bios models)(check with the server tag. If it shipped with v2 chips its seupports them.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That is almost certainly an LGA 1366 socket. Supported CPUs will depend on the board's BIOS, but I would be very surprised if something like a Xeon X5650 didn't work, and they're only like $10 on eBay for a pair so not really much harm in trying one and seeing what happens. 

Thanks for the reply! I’ll try to figure out which model this workstation is.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

@RONOTHAN##Says it’s a LGA 1366. How do you tell the difference between the two?

2 minutes ago, Cyguns said:

@RONOTHAN##Says it’s a LGA 1366. How do you tell the difference between the two?

I was wrong, it's 1356. I missed the T420 sticker in the center, and that's a 1356 workstation.