DO NOT BUY WD SSDs

Ciuwas

I recently picked up a SA510 WD 500GB for a startup drive and I thought it was doing well untill it started absolutely crapping itself. Now the drive is unusable as it takes 10 minutes to boot up windows and even during the install of windows it proved to be extremely show. I’m not sure if this is because it is DRAMless? but wow, I knew Linus warned about DRAMless drives but I never knew it was this bad.

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

2 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

I recently picked up a SA510 WD 500GB for a startup drive and I thought it was doing well untill it started absolutely crapping itself. Now the drive is unusable as it takes 10 minutes to boot up windows and even during the install of windows it proved to be extremely show. I’m not sure if this is because it is DRAMless? but wow, I knew Linus warned about DRAMless drives but I never knew it was this bad.

Do you have a warranty?

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

You can find someone with an anecdotal horror story about every brand.

If you have a warranty, avail yourself of it.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

The SA510 is a SATA 2.5" SSD. It's basically a drop in replacement for a HDD, and is limited to the SATA interface to begin with.

Even then, 10 minutes for a windows boot seems to say something else is wrong with your install.

Short of the drive itself being defective, it seems pretty likely you may want to do some more bug-fixing on your machine. You haven't completely filled it by any chance? SSDs runs slower and slower, especially without DRAM, the more they're full. If you're completely sure it's not your install, like the other said just use the warranty...

13 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Do you have a warranty?

Yeah it’s warranty time

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

1 minute ago, Qyygle said:

The SA510 is a SATA 2.5" SSD. It's basically a drop in replacement for a HDD, and is limited to the SATA interface to begin with.

Even then, 10 minutes for a windows boot seems to say something else is wrong with your install.

Short of the drive itself being defective, it seems pretty likely you may want to do some more bug-fixing on your machine. You haven't completely filled it by any chance? SSDs runs slower and slower, especially without DRAM, the more they're full. If you're completely sure it's not your install, like the other said just use the warranty...

Don’t worry I tested for corrupted files before wiping the drive and reinstalling a couple times before. Straight up idk what happened

1 minute ago, Qyygle said:

Along these lines

What I have done in the past to diagnose something as being a software VS hardware issue is install a different OS.  When I used to dual boot Linux and Windows if an issue existed in one OS but not the other it was a problem with software.  IF an issue existed in both it was probably hardware.  Backup your data.  Try installing Linux if you use windows or vice versa and see if the "hardware issue" still exist. 

Then warranty time if it does. 

50 minutes ago, Middcore said:

If you have a warranty, avail yourself of it.

This so much.

You can really only worry about the statistical averages of each manufacturer. Puget did a study a while ago and found Samsung & Intel to be the best. That said we've recently had a little Samsung scandal with their drive firmware wearing out the drive alarmingly fast. Just updated my 980 Pros and found one of them did wear a lot more than the others and had older firmware. Though it hardly still makes a difference in the grand scheme of things.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

38 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

Ok so you have a defective drive, RMA it, don't p*ss on WD for that, they make excellent drives overall

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

41 minutes ago, Ciuwas said:

My SN550 is dramless and its fine, just RMA it WD is pretty reasonable

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

My three DRAMless SN770s are fine. This is hysteria for the sake of hysteria. Then again DRAMless SATA drives can be quite bad if pushed. NVMe doesn’t suffer this with the addition of HMB. 

12 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

My three DRAMless SN770s are fine. This is hysteria for the sake of hysteria. Then again DRAMless SATA drives can be quite bad if pushed. NVMe doesn’t suffer this with the addition of HMB. 

Same, have an SN770 and an SN570 and they've both been great. No DRAM, no problem!

duds happen. instead of wasting your energy about how this brand has no right to exist.. you could have contacted the seller, already have a replacement on it's way, and you could come im here talking about how great your retailer of choice is instead.

also, i've got a small army of kingston A400 drives (which iirc are dramless), and they're all doing great.

Just the classic, person buys a DOA product and claims murder and fire.
Don't people know that tech some times comes broken out of the box?

Hope he learned the valuable lesson to just use your warranty claim before yelling into the ether.

Pretty much what everyone said - however, I'd also like to add this from a manufacturer's perspective. While the amount of items my workplace manufacturers is fairly small, and we make sure that everything passes all of our validation tests, we still get RMAs from our customers. It happens, and that doesn't mean the product is bad. There are so many factors that go into manufacturing electronics, and I imagine WD tests all of their products to ensure compliance with their own requirements, but the individual components might have defects that only show up over time - a latent defect. Every component within an electronic assembly is complex, including the PCB that everything mounts to.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 3/13/2023 at 12:52 PM, Middcore said:

Yup.

This is why a 1-2-3 backup strategy is important no matter what brand and type of drive you use.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.