NZXT Kraken G10 extended AIO compatibility and best AIO for 290x

Hi everyone,

I've done a bit of research online and on this forum and didn't manage to find an answer so here are my first questions on the forum:

1 - Is there an extended list of AIO compatility for the Kraken G10? I'm wondering since the list under the Spec section seems limited and some coolers aren't available anymore. (see under specs: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html)

For example, would the Kuhler 950 substitue for the 920? Are there any other brands that would work?

2 - What would you think would be the best AIO for the 290x. I read some guys say the h55 would be ok to replace an h75 in some guy's porposed build since it's only for GPU cooling (cooling a GTX 770) but the 290x is another beast so should I go for an AIO with dual 120 or would a single 120 suffice?

3 - I currently have a cheap computer case (only care for price-performance and not for esthetics as in I'll put my money somewhere else) the Cooler master 431 Elite (for 35$ all included) and am wondering if you guys see another AIO fiiting seeing as the CPU is cooled by the CM Seidon 120? I'll snipe a good deal on a case if it won't fit.

Thanks for the help.

Hi everyone,

I've done a bit of research online and on this forum and didn't manage to find an answer so here are my first questions on the forum:

1 - Is there an extended list of AIO compatility for the Kraken G10? I'm wondering since the list under the Spec section seems limited and some coolers aren't available anymore. (see under specs: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html)

For example, would the Kuhler 950 substitue for the 920? Are there any other brands that would work?

2 - What would you think would be the best AIO for the 290x. I read some guys say the h55 would be ok to replace an h75 in some guy's porposed build since it's only for GPU cooling (cooling a GTX 770) but the 290x is another beast so should I go for an AIO with dual 120 or would a single 120 suffice?

3 - I currently have a cheap computer case (only care for price-performance and not for esthetics as in I'll put my money somewhere else) the Cooler master 431 Elite (for 35$ all included) and am wondering if you guys see another AIO fiiting seeing as the CPU is cooled by the CM Seidon 120? I'll snipe a good deal on a case if it won't fit.

Thanks for the help.

i would get the largest aio you could for the simple fact those cards do run pretty hot but thats just my opinion. in all honestly a single 120mm is enough for two 290x's as proven by the 295x2 however i would still prefer a larger amount of rad if possible. as for mounting provided i found the right case online you shouldnt have an issues mounting a single 120 rad in either the top or rear depending where your seidon is mounted.

I'd go for a X40 as the 290X put out quite a bit of heat also Paul from Newegg mentioned that you need to glue (thermal glue for this exact task) some heatsinks onto the VRM of the 290X when using the G10 as the VRM hit 90C which means you won't be able to put the stock heatsink back on once you glue it and can't RMA it if needed plus the resell price is greatly reduced.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

1. Not that I'm aware of, the G10 bracket only works with Asetek design blocks and while  they are common there aren't that many. An antec 950 to me would be bad idea, you cant change the fans and it doesn't appear to use the same mounting as something like the H90 or x40. I may be wrong bout the Antec 950 I have never actually seen one so it could work but I really don't know enough about it to give a definitive answer, you could try to ask NZXT support or something. 

2. Look at the 295x a single rad  (all be it a thicker one) is all that is needed to keep two 290x at reasonable temps. So a h75 would be fine I'm sure, but I would be tempted to suggest a x40 or h90 140mm rad if you can spare the money. (see nzxt sentence)  

3. Perhaps you could put the second rad if it is 120mm on the top or on the exhaust? kinda depends where you got that seidon. So you could top mount the cpu AIO and on the exhaust (back case fan) mount the gpu AIO or maybe not sure if it would fit and tubing lengths but 2 AIO's on the top may work. With that case I don't you get away with a 140mm rad without modding the case. 

hope this helps a bit. 

I can't wait to do this with my 780 ti, but I have been waiting months for G10 brackets to come into stock in Canada. Planning on a h90 or if I'm cheap a h55 and I'll be adding some low profile vram and vvrm heatsinks. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I'd go for a X40 as the 290X put out quite a bit of heat also Paul from Newegg mentioned that you need to glue (thermal glue for this exact task) some heatsinks onto the VRM of the 290X when using the G10 as the VRM hit 90C which means you won't be able to put the stock heatsink back on once you glue it and can't RMA it if needed plus the resell price is greatly reduced.

Yep was planning on gluing (instead of using heat pads) some heatsinks on VRMs (and VRam just to be safe). I'm aware of the effect on warranty but if all goes well, my intent is not to sell it as it'll last me at least 2-3 gens (crossing fingers).

BTW, the VRM getting to those temps I think I've read comes from one synthetic benchmark in particular (the one that stresses VRMs the most... can't remember). Some guys were saying that gaming doesn't stress VRMs as much as the benchmark hence the G10 even without VRM heatsinks being okay. I'd rather be on the safe side though...

i would get the largest aio you could for the simple fact those cards do run pretty hot but thats just my opinion. in all honestly a single 120mm is enough for two 290x's as proven by the 295x2 however i would still prefer a larger amount of rad if possible. as for mounting provided i found the right case online you shouldnt have an issues mounting a single 120 rad in either the top or rear depending where your seidon is mounted.

Thanks Reaper for the info on the fitting. I study in another city and don't have pc here (for productivity's sake) so just trying to imagine it. I guess I could only go for single 120 if it can fit. The Seidon is mounted in the back but I was having trouble with the top because of RAM affecting clearance. If I can't fit it to top, I may have to mount bottom with fan bringing air in but it wouldn't be ideal since it would bring hot air for the rest of the component and I'd have to add another slim fan on top for better airflow... Ahh the joys of modding...

1. Not that I'm aware of, the G10 bracket only works with Asetek design blocks and while they are common there aren't that many. An antec 950 to me would be bad idea, you cant change the fans and it doesn't appear to use the same mounting as something like the H90 or x40. I may be wrong bout the Antec 950 I have never actually seen one so it could work but I really don't know enough about it to give a definitive answer, you could try to ask NZXT support or something.

2. Look at the 295x a single rad (all be it a thicker one) is all that is needed to keep two 290x at reasonable temps. So a h75 would be fine I'm sure, but I would be tempted to suggest a x40 or h90 140mm rad if you can spare the money. (see nzxt sentence)

3. Perhaps you could put the second rad if it is 120mm on the top or on the exhaust? kinda depends where you got that seidon. So you could top mount the cpu AIO and on the exhaust (back case fan) mount the gpu AIO or maybe not sure if it would fit and tubing lengths but 2 AIO's on the top may work. With that case I don't you get away with a 140mm rad without modding the case.

hope this helps a bit.

I can't wait to do this with my 780 ti, but I have been waiting months for G10 brackets to come into stock in Canada. Planning on a h90 or if I'm cheap a h55 and I'll be adding some low profile vram and vvrm heatsinks.

Thanks, I'll consider the info!

1 - I'm being cheap so I definitely am trying to find the one that has a deal on it (950 is cheap these days for example).

2 - Yep, aware of the 295x2 but bigger is almost always better right? I'm trying to find the best balance with price and performance for the cooler as well.

3 - That one might be a headache right? Might have to upgrade the case...

Re: your comment on can't wait to do this: I think it is available and for cheaper than NCIX: http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=kraken+G10&x=0&y=0 although I may be shooting myself in the foot since I didn't buy mine yet (may be going to US in a month so will get it shipped to hotel and will cost only 35$... did I mention I was cheap?)

If a guy with a 780ti can't wait to do this, imagine what a guy with a reference 290x must feel like haha! Can't wait for clock to NOT throttle... gets in the 850-900MHz and sounds like a jet engine... it did cost only 490$ and gets me 140-180fps on BF4 Ultra so I'll just fix the cooler myself. :D I have an Asus 144Hz so I think it is useful for me to get such high fps as I believe I can perceive the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz. Again, I did say "I believe I can" and not "I can perceive" which I think says a lot.

Thanks, I'll consider the info!

1 - I'm being cheap so I definitely am trying to find the one that has a deal on it (950 is cheap these days for example).

2 - Yep, aware of the 295x2 but bigger is almost always better right? I'm trying to find the best balance with price and performance for the cooler as well.

3 - That one might be a headache right? Might have to upgrade the case...

Re: your comment on can't wait to do this: I think it is available and for cheaper than NCIX: http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=kraken+G10&x=0&y=0 although I may be shooting myself in the foot since I didn't buy mine yet (may be going to US in a month so will get it shipped to hotel and will cost only 35$... did I mention I was cheap?)

If a guy with a 780ti can't wait to do this, imagine what a guy with a reference 290x must feel like haha! Can't wait for clock to NOT throttle... gets in the 850-900MHz and sounds like a jet engine... it did cost only 490$ and gets me 140-180fps on BF4 Ultra so I'll just fix the cooler myself. :D

Then you may want to ask Nzxt if the 950 will work. Yes, bigger rad allows for more heat desperation with less fan speed. Looks like this guy got decent results with h75 http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2108547/290x-kraken-g10-setup-working-correctly.html but if you were going to get a h75 you might as well go up to the h90 (140mm) they are similar in price I believe, especially if you get a different case.

How do you have your cpu AIO mounted right now? Modding is always an interesting adventure. A 140mm may go in the front of that case if you pull some HDD cages out, but the structural integrity might be ruined. looking at some more pics of your case and it would appear the ram height and gap between the mobo and top fan mount looks would appear to stop the idea of a top mounted rad. A new case may be needed if you cut some holes or knock some hard drive bay area, or another spot for a 120mm rad would be on the bottom if the case was lifted off the floor enough for some air flow. 

Oh boy, I haven't checked CC in like a week, good find, thanks.  I have reference 780ti and while its not loud it not quiet and I think this would be a cool add on that is more worth it than another "gaming" keyboard, especially if it can be done under or around $100. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help.

a 120mm is cooling the 295X5,it would be more than enough for a 290x.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people. For future update, here's what I managed to find on the compatibility list:

1 - There's a field under the "Buy now" button that allows you to input different models and will tell you if compatible or not. Rule of thumb is AIO pump has to be circular and some corsairs are square, others are circular. They say all Asetek cools are compatible and finally, the Seidon and Nepton from CM both are circular but not compatible.

2 - Yes 120mm is good but not best. If you plan to OC anyways your VRam and VRM are gonna be the limiting factor so if you don't plan on sticking heatsinks on them, a 120mm if no OC would be plenty. Make sure fan is removable as you may want to change to higher perf or more silent model (Noctua, SP120 etc.)

Last question, good site to buy heatsinks from? Can't find the old post that mentioned a proper site with a proper price. I'd have to buy 2 packs copper heatsinks for VRam and 1 pack aluminum from Amazon otherwise.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Quick update for those who helped and may be interested:

- Got the Corsair H90 (brand new for 70$ off a guy who didn't know it wouldn't fit in his case)

- Fitted VRM heatsinks on it for 12$ (Google: GELID Solutions Enhancement Kit for Rev.2 ICY VISION for AMD R9 290/290X VRM Cooling [GELD-IV-R9-290/X-EnhKit])

- Fitted some more copper heatsinks on the VRAM

And now results in text format (got screenshots but still didn't get around to posting them):

Idle: - GPU: 37 (most times 36 though...) - VRM 1/2: 31/55

Load*: - GPU: 57 - VRM 1/2: 62/69

*Load is BF4 ultra most things with 4xAA etc. I run it that way so I can get consistent around 144 fps (running a 144Hz monitor)

There you have it. Thoughs? Comments? Case is Air 540 BTW.

Quick update for those who helped and may be interested:

And now results in text format (got screenshots but still didn't get around to posting them):

Idle: - GPU: 37 (most times 36 though...) - VRM 1/2: 31/55

Load*: - GPU: 57 - VRM 1/2: 62/69

There you have it. Thoughs? Comments?

would you have any stock stats? this way users or onlookers can see what the

actual difference is. especially the CPU and VRM2 (problem child). usually the

CPU was 90-95° and VRM 100°+ and since it is running cooler no thermal

throttling (if noted before), plus now you have more headroom in temperatures

for overclocking.

for overclocking.

I will also be posting my experience with the G10 + 780 soon.  I was very hesitant to do the mod because there is just not enough information out there for my specific graphic card, so once I have compiled a good enough write-up I will preset it to the internet to share.  It is of higher difficulty than most other mods, and quite time consuming.  The results though, are fantastic.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

• 4 weeks later...

for overclocking.

Hi,

Didn't see the post because of how gmail handles emails now... (puts it in seperate "Forum" section).

Stock, the GPU would throttle to about 800-850MHz clocks because it reached max temps. If I remember well, VRM2 was around 82-85C so 62 is a great improvement. I actually manually restricted clock speeds to 700-800 just because I didn't want the stock fan to be so loud. It went from an extremely loud 55dB to full system being around 39dB.

I haven't experimented with overclocking yet. I already get anywhere from 100 to 180 fps in BF4 depending on size of map and that's at 1080p with everything ultra then dialing a few things a step back to maximize fps. I'm comfortable with not all graphics settings being at Ultra just so I can maximize on the fps for my 144hz monitor.

Thanks for interacting and let me know if you have any other questions,

Steven

I will also be posting my experience with the G10 + 780 soon.  I was very hesitant to do the mod because there is just not enough information out there for my specific graphic card, so once I have compiled a good enough write-up I will preset it to the internet to share.  It is of higher difficulty than most other mods, and quite time consuming.  The results though, are fantastic.

Did you post it yet?

I have posted some pictures of my setup, but haven't actually gotten around to a guide yet. My temperatures are fantastic though and my computer is very quiet as a result. It looks great too

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."