Recording in 4k 100000kbps @60fps

Go to solution Solved by podkall,

Depends on your storage, and if you encode the video, because after it's done you can encode the video which can compress it to a smaller size without any noticable quality decrease with right settings.

I tried this and it looks beautiful, The video was only like 2 mins long and it was taking almost 3gb. Is this overkill or is it aplicable day to day?

Depends on your storage, and if you encode the video, because after it's done you can encode the video which can compress it to a smaller size without any noticable quality decrease with right settings.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

4k60 at 100mbps is overkill by my standards. I rarely need to record anything past 30mbps even at 4K. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

4k60 at 100mbps is overkill by my standards. I rarely need to record anything past 30mbps even at 4K. 

I agree but when it gets compressed in my opionion it looks better

Just now, podkall said:

I didn't think about that 

40 minutes ago, LandanBullock said:

H.256

Seems like overkill then, especially when you use codec that has not been released yet 😄 I think you meant h.265, right?

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Seems like overkill then, especially when you use codec that has not been released yet 😄 I think you meant h.265, right?

ye he swapped the 6 and 5

55 minutes ago, LandanBullock said:

I agree but when it gets compressed in my opionion it looks better

depends on the situation, recording doesnt compress videos, recording is busy recording it cant really encode,

the only thing that can happen is that it can reach limit of bandwidth and the quality decreases, but after certain amount of kb/s extra is just overkill most of the time

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

36 minutes ago, podkall said:

ye he swapped the 6 and 5

depends on the situation, recording doesnt compress videos, recording is busy recording it cant really encode,

the only thing that can happen is that it can reach limit of bandwidth and the quality decreases, but after certain amount of kb/s extra is just overkill most of the time

When you record you're also encoding unless you record losslesly which would result in immensely large files.

At high bitrates the encoder does not have to work too hard because the compression does not have to be too big but it's still encoding.

The settings for recording are exactly the same as for encoding since you do the same thing on top of capture.

The reason to record in high bitrates is that when you put the video in a video editor you have to re-encode it which loses some quality. Then if you upload it to YT then YT has to re-encode it again which again loses some quality so the higher bitrate and quality your base is, the higher quality the end result will be. There are massive diminishing returns if you go to extremes though.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

When you record you're also encoding unless you record losslesly which would result in immensely large files.

At high bitrates the encoder does not have to work too hard because the compression does not have to be too big but it's still encoding.

yes but the encoding isn't really doing much except regulating the bandwidth and some other small things

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The reason to record in high bitrates is that when you put the video in a video editor you have to re-encode it which loses some quality.

depends on settngs in video editor, videos can be still 2x or more smaller and same quality when encoding after video editing

PC:

PCs I used before:

14 hours ago, podkall said:

yes but the encoding isn't really doing much except regulating the bandwidth and some other small things

Actually the encoding is doing a whole hell of a lot. h265 is a lossy codec, so things are lost. I'm no expert so don't ask me what is lost. It also depends on the settings and what you are recording. h265 uses a very low bitrate for instance when encoding fast moving video. Because whatever is in the video at that point, you won't be able to see much of it anyway, so why use a high bitrate. Just an example.

15 hours ago, podkall said:

depends on settngs in video editor, videos can be still 2x or more smaller and same quality when encoding after video editing

If you use the same codec and make the file 2x or more smaller you are losing quality. Doesn't matter what settings you change. You may not notice the quality drop but it is there. Otherwise the file can't be 2x smaller. In fact when you re-encode lossy video, no matter what you do you always lose quality. Even when you encode with the exact same settings. Because it has less data to work with then the original source. You might not notice it, but there is still a loss in quality. If you feel like testing this, re-encode the same video dozens of times and you will start to notice this.

I have no signature

1 hour ago, Helly said:

Actually the encoding is doing a whole hell of a lot. h265 is a lossy codec, so things are lost. I'm no expert so don't ask me what is lost. It also depends on the settings and what you are recording. h265 uses a very low bitrate for instance when encoding fast moving video. Because whatever is in the video at that point, you won't be able to see much of it anyway, so why use a high bitrate. Just an example.

I don't think thats how H265 works

1 hour ago, Helly said:

If you use the same codec and make the file 2x or more smaller you are losing quality. Doesn't matter what settings you change. You may not notice the quality drop but it is there. Otherwise the file can't be 2x smaller. In fact when you re-encode lossy video, no matter what you do you always lose quality. Even when you encode with the exact same settings. Because it has less data to work with then the original source. You might not notice it, but there is still a loss in quality. If you feel like testing this, re-encode the same video dozens of times and you will start to notice this.

ok, I'm not saying it's 100% same copy, but I've encoded videos before, few second videos that went from 20MB to fraction like below 5MB, without the drop of quality

PC:

PCs I used before: