Point to Point Wifi Question/Recommendations

Geebo

So I'm trying to help my parents out with an interesting wifi situation they have going on and I wanted some help/recommendations. My parents own a good bit of land that they've lived on for some time now, and they just built their dream house on that land. When they moved up to their dream house, they canceled their internet at the old house and got Starlink for the new house. However, they've set aside some money to try and beam internet down to the old house so they can have wifi when they're down there. Unfortunately they haven't been able to get their internet guy to come out and help them do that so I figured I'd try and help. Now I'm not even close to an expert but I just built my first PC and got really into computers and server stuff afterwards and I'm also trying to figure out some networking stuff since I think it'll be useful. After doing some light research I learned that what they're looking to do is called point to point wifi (I think). Would anyone have and advice/recommendations on how to set this up, what devices I should use to beam their internet to their other house, etc? If it helps, the other house is somewhere between a quarter and three quarters of a mile away and there is line of sight to it in certain places around the new house. 

Side questions: Would it be possible to use one of these devices through a window?

I'd buy a set of these: Ubiquiti Nanobeam Gen 2 along with an access point for the far end. There's a few setup guides you can refer to on youtube, pretty straightforward. 

You might be able to use it through a window... but you shouldn't. Better to mount it to the outside of each home.

1 hour ago, seanondemand said:

I'd buy a set of these: Ubiquiti Nanobeam Gen 2 along with an access point for the far end. There's a few setup guides you can refer to on youtube, pretty straightforward. 

You might be able to use it through a window... but you shouldn't. Better to mount it to the outside of each home.

I'd second that.  I'm not a fan of Ubiquiti in general but I have a couple of their first-gen Litebeam units and its been extremely stable despite me using it completely out of spec (one end is indoors).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 1 month later...

@seanondemand @Alex Atkin UK  Great recommendation from you guys. I saw this thread looking to get internet to my workshop without digging a trench and running conduit. 

A bad ethernet cable turned this into a longer project than expected but still easier than digging.

Thanks!

Apple 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro | Apple 2021 M2 MacBook Air

Intel Hades Canyon NUC - i7-8809G, 3.10 GHz | 32 GB RAM | 512 GB + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO | Radeon Vega GH | MSI Silent Armor 1060-6GB in Sonnet eGPU. 

Intel Serpent Canyon NUC - i7-12700 | 32GB RAM 

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR | Intel i5-12600K | EVGA 3080 Ti | 64GB Corsair Dominator | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD | 4TB Samsung 870 EVO | 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD

Ubiquiti Point to Point links would be perfect for this. You can set up everything in a flat bridge connected to one of the ethernet ports on the wireless access point in the main house, the one that is hooked up to the starlink.

If you have a bit more networking savvy, you can set up each house with it's own subnet, which comes with it's own advantages and disadvantages. You would need a router that can route packets between the two subnets if you want to do that.

Here is a simple diagram for how you would set that up:

image.png.4672ce496850f9949e18e30a6b1e1348.png

8 hours ago, CrowDazzle said:

@seanondemand @Alex Atkin UK  Great recommendation from you guys. I saw this thread looking to get internet to my workshop without digging a trench and running conduit. 

A bad ethernet cable turned this into a longer project than expected but still easier than digging.

Thanks!

I would recommend Mikrotik antennas, the Disc Lite 5. Have been running them for about three years now, I have 8 sets of them around my city. Also the Cube 60G ac is a good option, its great for high speed, I use it to get internet to my house, I can max out a gigabit internet connection at the distance of 650 meters. They can be set up from tutorials, if you haven't used mikrotik, but after its set up you can forget about it.

2 hours ago, Karlis_Blumanis said:

I would recommend Mikrotik antennas, the Disc Lite 5. Have been running them for about three years now, I have 8 sets of them around my city. Also the Cube 60G ac is a good option, its great for high speed, I use it to get internet to my house, I can max out a gigabit internet connection at the distance of 650 meters. They can be set up from tutorials, if you haven't used mikrotik, but after its set up you can forget about it.

Mikrotik is a viable option, pretty cheap for what you get

I use the ubiquiti building to building bridge. I get gigabit speeds from one house to the other. I have also heard good things about the microtik.