Internet Will Randomly Drop Out

Hello LTT Forums,

I have an issue with my networking setup and I can't seem to permanently solve the issue. The issue I face is that my internet will randomly disconnect and no longer have internet access for usually less than a minute. I've had this happen mid-game and while watching YouTube videos at what seems to be random times. For the most part it seems to resolve itself in less than a minute I'd estimate, rarely I'd just reboot the router and it would work fine. The firmware is up to date on the router. Windows Update says the driver for my Realtek LAN is up to date. For my setup, I have my ISP's modem/router combo thing as a modem and in bridge mode. That is then connected to my TP Link AX1800 router and then that connects to my PC via Ethernet. The Ethernet cable that connects my modem to my router is a CAT 8 26AWG from Amazon, and the Ethernet cable that connects my router to my PC is a Linkup CAT 8 cable. A brief speedtest is 11ms, 700mbps down, 100mbps up. I have Shaw 1Gbps.

27 minutes ago, Behroon said:

The issue I face is that my internet will randomly disconnect and no longer have internet access for usually less than a minute.

Sounds exactly like what I've experienced at like 3 separate houses with cable internet. I'd check inside and the immediate outside of your home for loose connections. Also call your ISP and see if they can dispatch someone to take a look for loose connections on their end and also provide you with a new dedicated modem. If they can't consider getting your own.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MB7621-Approved-Spectrum-Downloads/dp/B077BL65HS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25NOA2SLRLO08&keywords=cable+modems&qid=1678506971&sprefix=cable+modem%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sounds exactly like what I've experienced at like 3 separate houses with cable internet. I'd check inside and the immediate outside of your home for loose connections. Also call your ISP and see if they can dispatch someone to take a look for loose connections on their end and also provide you with a new dedicated modem. If they can't consider getting your own.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MB7621-Approved-Spectrum-Downloads/dp/B077BL65HS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25NOA2SLRLO08&keywords=cable+modems&qid=1678506971&sprefix=cable+modem%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

So I live in a townhouse, would the best course of action be to ask them to check for loose connections on their end? Also I'm not sure if you know, however, I use Shaw and they have something called "Fibre +" it uses a coax cable to connect to modem and they say its a hybrid system. Would this be considered Fibre or would it still be considered cable? 

It’s still cable. Rather than fibre to the home (like telus), Shaw has fibre to the node, so it still relies on the coax connections to your neighbourhood node. I’d give them a call and they should be able to do some diagnosis of whether your connection actually drops at their level, or whether it might have something to do with your hardware. 

On 3/10/2023 at 10:33 PM, seanondemand said:

It’s still cable. Rather than fibre to the home (like telus), Shaw has fibre to the node, so it still relies on the coax connections to your neighbourhood node. I’d give them a call and they should be able to do some diagnosis of whether your connection actually drops at their level, or whether it might have something to do with your hardware. 

Do you know if Bell uses Fibre? They claim it is pure fibre and I just wanted to make sure