COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 variables from my Ryzen 5 3600

Dalli

Hi there,

Although right now my CPU cooler Wraith Stealth isn't properly fixed (because of the backplate holding the cooler's screw fell behind the mobo, more details here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1492755-cpu-cooler-isnt-fixed-on-motherboard/ ) I am getting very high temps on idle +80C and while using slightly I m reaching 95c easily and peaking to 100c  (with surprisingly no lag, pc working smoothly), this got me thinking, other than obvisouly fixing the screws holding the cooler to the CPU, that I should upgrade the cooler itself since the stock Wraith Stealth isn't recommended at all and there are many reported cases of overheats with that cooler on the R5 3600).

My search found that the best cooler to upgrade to is the Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO, but unfortunately no stores in my country have that, but they have:

•  Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED
  •  Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED TURBO  
  •  Cooler Master HYPER 212 SPECTRUM

I looked a bit and they seem to differ from the recommended EVO, so my question is which one of those should be a perfect fit (R5 3600+gigabyte B450 ds3h) and would be better than the stock Wraith Stealth?

Thanks in advance!

20 minutes ago, Dalli said:

My search found that the best cooler to upgrade to is the Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO

That was true 5 years ago. Nowadays there is a lot more competition in that price range and the Hyper 212 is easily outpaced by other, cheaper coolers like the Vetroo V5, ID-Cooling SE-224-XT, DeepCool AK400, Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120, etc. All of those should be better than the Hyper 212 (especially the Peerless Assassin, though that's also likely the most expensive cooler on that list) and should be better than the Wraith Stealth. 

Also, the only thing that really changes with those variant Hyper 212s is the fan and maybe the mounting instructions. Performance wise they'll all be very similar. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That was true 5 years ago. Nowadays there is a lot more competition in that price range and the Hyper 212 is easily outpaced by other, cheaper coolers like the Vetroo V5, ID-Cooling SE-224-XT, DeepCool AK400, Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120, etc. All of those should be better than the Hyper 212 (especially the Peerless Assassin, though that's also likely the most expensive cooler on that list) and should be better than the Wraith Stealth. 

Also, the only thing that really changes with those variant Hyper 212s is the fan and maybe the mounting instructions. Performance wise they'll all be very similar. 

thanks for your feedback, unfortunately I am limited to my country's (Tunisia) stores stock, buying online is possible but with shipping and customs delay and fees its not worth it. Although I appreciate your suggestions, I will into those!

All of those 212s are the same, just different fans.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

9 hours ago, freeagent said:

All of those 212s are the same, just different fans.

yes but which one would be better for the ryzen5 3600 as a replacement to the Evo?

16 hours ago, Dalli said:

Hi there,

Although right now my CPU cooler Wraith Stealth isn't properly fixed (because of the backplate holding the cooler's screw fell behind the mobo, more details here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1492755-cpu-cooler-isnt-fixed-on-motherboard/ ) I am getting very high temps on idle +80C and while using slightly I m reaching 95c easily and peaking to 100c  (with surprisingly no lag, pc working smoothly), this got me thinking, other than obvisouly fixing the screws holding the cooler to the CPU, that I should upgrade the cooler itself since the stock Wraith Stealth isn't recommended at all and there are many reported cases of overheats with that cooler on the R5 3600).

My search found that the best cooler to upgrade to is the Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO, but unfortunately no stores in my country have that, but they have:

•  Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED
  •  Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED TURBO  
  •  Cooler Master HYPER 212 SPECTRUM

I looked a bit and they seem to differ from the recommended EVO, so my question is which one of those should be a perfect fit (R5 3600+gigabyte B450 ds3h) and would be better than the stock Wraith Stealth?

Thanks in advance!

Any reason to not get the plate out and mount the cooler properly? I'd also be concerned the metal plate fallen behind could cause a short.

TBH, if I knew my cooler (regardless of type) isn't mounted properly, I wouldn't even be brave enough to turn the PC on fearing the over temp protection may be too slow. 

Better cooler is always better... but you need to install it properly anyway. 

FWIW, the AMD stock coolers, unlike the Intel, are considered "OK" for the use assuming you don't OC and have a well ventilated case. OC or noise under high load would be the only objective reasons to upgrade (but no one here, including me, blames you for subjective reasons to get a better cooler 🙂

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

7 hours ago, Lurking said:

Any reason to not get the plate out and mount the cooler properly? I'd also be concerned the metal plate fallen behind could cause a short.

TBH, if I knew my cooler (regardless of type) isn't mounted properly, I wouldn't even be brave enough to turn the PC on fearing the over temp protection may be too slow. 

Better cooler is always better... but you need to install it properly anyway. 

FWIW, the AMD stock coolers, unlike the Intel, are considered "OK" for the use assuming you don't OC and have a well ventilated case. OC or noise under high load would be the only objective reasons to upgrade (but no one here, including me, blames you for subjective reasons to get a better cooler 🙂

yes I will be mounting that cooler back properly when I get the time and I am not using the pc until then, but I was thinking ahead in case the temps stays relatively high. Thank you for your concern I appreciate the feedback! 

Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED

Cooler Master HYPER 212 LED TURBO  

Cooler Master HYPER 212 SPECTRUM

Are ALL using the old contact plate design from the Hyper 212 PLUS.

The Hyper 212 EVO uses an improved design.

As many have already said, the Hyper 212 of any revision, is no longer the best cooler for the money.

It WAS back in....2015 and before, but not anymore.

That said, because it is a tower-style cooler, it WILL perform better than any AMD / Intel stock cooler.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>