CPU cooler isn't fixed on motherboard

Dalli
hi there,
yesterday I cleaned my gpu/cpu fans and replaced the thermal paste, but when I screwed back the CPU heatsink/fan I only found one hole to screw in, the other 3 are non existent, so its like the cpu and the heat sink contact is only forced by one screw and the sticky substance of the thermal paste.
Today I ve had some weird lags (no sound through one specific headsets, videos are laggy by games are not, some windows wont open) I noticed that the CPU temp reaches 90c and 100c easily. restarting the pc a couple of times fixed those lags, but the temp is the same.
Pretty sure that the heat isn't getting transferred from the cpu to the heatsink due to the low pressure from one screw. This video show exactly what I have (Ryzen 5 3600 and gigabyte B450 ds3h ) but he somehow ends up with 4 hole to screw in https://youtu.be/FGHvckrhjzI https://i.imgur.com/AytPJKd.png
there is for sure something mentioned in the video which I am missing (1:41 "retain the backplate" ???)
Appreciate your help!

AytPJKd.png

There's a solid metal backplate that's supposed to sit flat against the bottom of the motherboard. It has all four standoffs attached. You have to hold it so all four standoffs protrude through their holes (like the one circled in green), then you can screw the heatsink in.

If your case doesn't have a hole through the motherboard tray to access this backplate, you'll have to take the motherboard out.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

9 minutes ago, Dalli said:
hi there,
yesterday I cleaned my gpu/cpu fans and replaced the thermal paste, but when I screwed back the CPU heatsink/fan I only found one hole to screw in, the other 3 are non existent, so its like the cpu and the heat sink contact is only forced by one screw and the sticky substance of the thermal paste.
Today I ve had some weird lags (no sound through one specific headsets, videos are laggy by games are not, some windows wont open) I noticed that the CPU temp reaches 90c and 100c easily. restarting the pc a couple of times fixed those lags, but the temp is the same.
Pretty sure that the heat isn't getting transferred from the cpu to the heatsink due to the low pressure from one screw. This video show exactly what I have (Ryzen 5 3600 and gigabyte B450 ds3h ) but he somehow ends up with 4 hole to screw in https://youtu.be/FGHvckrhjzI https://i.imgur.com/AytPJKd.png
there is for sure something mentioned in the video which I am missing (1:41 "retain the backplate" ???)
Appreciate your help!

Hrmmm how many screws did you unscrew when removing the cooler ?

I'm pretty sure there wasn't only 1, and all mobos have holes for attaching a cooler, look again 🙂 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

25 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

AytPJKd.png

There's a solid metal backplate that's supposed to sit flat against the bottom of the motherboard. It has all four standoffs attached. You have to hold it so all four standoffs protrude through their holes (like the one circled in green), then you can screw the heatsink in.

If your case doesn't have a hole through the motherboard tray to access this backplate, you'll have to take the motherboard out.

so the video happens to have the same hole as me just by pure coincidence? wow!! I think I can't access it from from my case so I would need to remove the mobo as you said, but one more thing please, should I apply the thermal paste again or what I already applied yesterday should be fine? thanks

1 minute ago, Dalli said:

so the video happens to have the same hole as me just by pure coincidence? wow!! I think I can't access it from from my case so I would need to remove the mobo as you said, but one more thing please, should I apply the thermal paste again or what I already applied yesterday should be fine? thanks

Clean all the thermal paste off both the CPU and heatsink, then apply new paste again. That way you know it got applied properly.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.