Geforce smoother?

blutch

this drastic? really it hangs flat to the wall and the other is moving?

unexpected. heard it does hog on fps though

Yes, but with powerful cards like 770/780 you won't have problem. Anyway I use additionally GTX 560 for physx only & it helps my 770, so 770 can concentrate totally on game graphics, while 560 calculates only physx in game. It's like little guy is helping the big guy in a work, so he has less to work  :)

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Yes, but with powerful cards like 770/780 you won't have problem. Anyway I use additionally GTX 560 for physx only & it helps my 770, so 770 can concentrate totally on game graphics, while 560 calculates only physx in game. It's like little guy is helping the big guy in a work, so he has less to work  :)

:P

Also, guys is it true that the 3gb is easier for when you get a bigger screen than the 2gb?

but is there really as much difference? or do the other cards still have some type of physx added to them? cant imagine there wouldnt be anything like it.

PhysX is not 'physics', if that's what you're implying. The game's engine has everything in your hard drive to run the game, it's the GPU's job to read and render the data along with the CPU (I'm putting that as simple as I can to avoid typing a wall of text).

PhysX - pronounced FIZ-EX - is an effects engine that's added to games, like the Havok engine is used for collision in some games. The thing is with PhysX is Nvidia video cards have a special sauce on the PCB's that allow for better rendering of PhysX, which is why Radeon cards can't run it. The real reason Radeon cards can't run it is because PhysX is locked down to Nvidia cards only, thanks to Nvidia. You could supposedly, back in the day, add an Nvidia GPU to your primary Radeon video card as a dedicated PhysX card, but Nvidia put a stop to that too. <insert Nvidia conspiracy here>

Here is a good example of what PhysX does in the games that run them:

:P

Also, guys is it true that the 3gb is easier for when you get a bigger screen than the 2gb?

Only if it's higher than 1080p. Even then, you still need a beefier GPU to render the game.

huh? lol

im not even talking about reference or aftermarket coolers.. im talking about the gpu core itself... amd runs hotter by design right now and you cant deny that... and in the end more heat = more noise...

not denying anything .. 

what you say dosent make sense:) 

PhysX is not 'physics', if that's what you're implying. The game's engine has everything in your hard drive to run the game, it's the GPU's job to read and render the data along with the CPU (I'm putting that as simple as I can to avoid typing a wall of text).

PhysX - pronounced FIZ-EX - is an effects engine that's added to games, like the Havok engine is used for collision in some games. The thing is with PhysX is Nvidia video cards have a special sauce on the PCB's that allow for better rendering of PhysX, which is why Radeon cards can't run it. The real reason Radeon cards can't run it is because PhysX is locked down to Nvidia cards only, thanks to Nvidia. You could supposedly, back in the day, add an Nvidia GPU to your primary Radeon video card as a dedicated PhysX card, but Nvidia put a stop to that too. <insert Nvidia conspiracy here>

Here is a good example of what PhysX does in the games that run them:

Only if it's higher than 1080p. Even then, you still need a beefier GPU to render the game.

Allright thanks so if a game doest have physx in it the card can't create them Edited by blutch

Allright thanks so if a game doest have physx in it the card can't create them

Only some Nvidia titles will have Physx...

flawed logic. noise isn't caused by heat, it is produced by fans, which are a part of the cooler. And AMDs cores do not run hotter by design, they run hotter by software. You can just open up catalyst and set the temperature target and fan curve to whatever you want. What I think you mean, and what you would be right about, is the total amount of heat output of the GPU. AMD chips use more power and thus output more heat. An AMD card therefore needs a better cooler to stay at the same temps the Nvidia equivalent reaches. That's not to say that the cards actually run hotter, as there are some very potent coolers on the AMD side, like sapphire's solution for example. 

thats pretty much what i've said but explained.

and yeah, they run hotter by design(im quoting linus here).. you can also set a fan curve using nvidia cards and they will run cooler but thats not the point.

"AMD chips use more power and thus output more heat. An AMD card therefore needs a better cooler to stay at the same temps the Nvidia equivalent reaches" exactly, and better cooler means either a good aftermarket cooler(which means more money) or better airflow(more fans, hence more noise) or more fans on your radiators if you are watercooling, which also according to your logic(which is right), means more noise.

MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming Edition OC 51 c load

770 55 c load

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/10/09/msi-radeon-r9-280x-ge-oc-review/8

also, again, im not talking about aftermarket or stock coolers.. im talking about the chipset itself.

Project "Gene5is" | Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7 4790k | 2 x GTX 780 Ti Classified in SLI | 16Gb. Corsair Dominator Platinum @1866Mhz. | 512GB. Samsung 850 PRO | 2 x 2Tb. WD Caviar Black | Corsair AX1200 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | KRK Rokit 6 Gen 3 + KRK K10S Sub | Logitech G 710+ |

Logitech G500s | Caselabs Magnum SMA8 | Corsair 200MM Extended 

"Roamer" MSI GT 72 | Intel Core i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M 8Gb. | 128Gb. M2 SSD | 16Gb. 1600Mhz. | 1Tb. HDD

Go with a 280x, even though I love nvidia im not a blind fanboy, the one thing that the 770 has over the 280x is shadow play if that is important to you then go with the 770, when choosing cards that have such similar performance the only real factor is features.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Go with a 280x, even though I love nvidia im not a blind fanboy, the one thing that the 770 has over the 280x is shadow play if that is important to you then go with the 770, when choosing cards that have such similar performance the only real factor is features.

i really like em both, and i agree with you, only real factor is features...

PS: your signature says  Keyboard: Corsiar K95  (psst its corsair, hehe)... sorry had to tell you! haha

Project "Gene5is" | Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7 4790k | 2 x GTX 780 Ti Classified in SLI | 16Gb. Corsair Dominator Platinum @1866Mhz. | 512GB. Samsung 850 PRO | 2 x 2Tb. WD Caviar Black | Corsair AX1200 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | KRK Rokit 6 Gen 3 + KRK K10S Sub | Logitech G 710+ |

"Roamer" MSI GT 72 | Intel Core i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M 8Gb. | 128Gb. M2 SSD | 16Gb. 1600Mhz. | 1Tb. HDD

How and why did this thread become a "R9 280X vs. GTX 770" thread?

Also, I don't and will never understand people saying stuff like this. Oh, so stable and consistent 60 FPS on Nvidia GPUs is somehow magically smoother than stable and consistent 60 FPS on AMD GPUs. I can understand if drivers or a card had issues with keeping stable frames then that would justify a "smoother" experience with its competitor, but when both sides have cards working similarly to each other, then that makes little sense.

It's like asking about a Honda Civic and have people saying you should get a Toyota Corolla cause it runs smoother. Hey, guess what? It's an everday car not a freaking sports car! Are you racing? No. Are you driving over hills and rocks? No. Are you towing cars? If you are, then I hope your damn car rips in half.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

-snip-

god that's like the 10th time I have spelled something wrong in my sig..

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

god that's like the 10th time I have spelled something wrong in my sig..

:D don't worry bro, im here for you!  :P

:D don't worry bro, im here for you! :P

thanks man the world is a scary place xD

exactly, and better cooler means either a good aftermarket cooler(which means more money) or better airflow(more fans, hence more noise) or more fans on your radiators if you are watercooling, which also according to your logic(which is right), means more noise.

The difference isn't actually that big. Not big enough that anyone would have to add an extra fan or radiator for an AMD card where he wouldn't have needed it for the Nvidia equivalent.