New owner of MSI Vector GP66HX - Question

Hello! This is my first forum post here, and I love watching LTT videos on youtube and I have for a long time!

Anyway, I am the proud of owner of a new MSI Laptop. It's the i7 12800HX & RTX 3070 Ti with DDR5 Ram (4800)

I have it on a cooling pad, and Highest temp in afterburner is 77C in Halo Infinite campaign over world on high settings. MCC = 66C, MW2 = 69 Idle = 39-41. My question is, I've read A LOT about undervolting and people talk about it like it's an absolute necessity. Is it? I feel like if it was so important, they would send it that way from the factory. So that's my question. Is undervolting your gaming laptop something everyone should do no matter what? Or is it only if your laptop is having performance / cooling issues. 

Please let me know what you guys think. 

12 minutes ago, SchoolOf117 said:

Hello! This is my first forum post here, and I love watching LTT videos on youtube and I have for a long time!

Anyway, I am the proud of owner of a new MSI Laptop. It's the i7 12800HX & RTX 3070 Ti with DDR5 Ram (4800)

I have it on a cooling pad, and Highest temp in afterburner is 77C in Halo Infinite campaign over world on high settings. MCC = 66C, MW2 = 69 Idle = 39-41. My question is, I've read A LOT about undervolting and people talk about it like it's an absolute necessity. Is it? I feel like if it was so important, they would send it that way from the factory. So that's my question. Is undervolting your gaming laptop something everyone should do no matter what? Or is it only if your laptop is having performance / cooling issues. 

Please let me know what you guys think. 

77c is completely fine.  Bit high for a desktop perhaps but for a Laptops I would call that acceptable.   No need to undervolt as its not being thermal limited so far.

50 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

77c is completely fine.  Bit high for a desktop perhaps but for a Laptops I would call that acceptable.   No need to undervolt as its not being thermal limited so far.

I agree, as long as you're not burning yourself, then anything that isn't thermal throttle is good. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

It's not a necessity per se, but it would be a lot better if you do.

You reduce power draw therefore thermal output while maintaining the same performance, there's literally no down side. So why won't you do it?

The reason why manufacturers don't do it is because they would need to manually tune it on each device, they sell them by the container, how much time do they need to manually tune each device?

Undervolt like overclocking are different for each chip due to silicone lottery, especially in laptops. It's possible that they have pre-tuned chips for this specific model, but it would only be a base line tuning, so the results won't be as good.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Unvolting is useful, but since the 8th gen Intel chips you're probably locked out of being able to do so, unless the laptop manufacturer includes it in the bios or their control software.

Intel addressed a ton of security issues by simply locking down voltage controls past the 8th gen chips. If the laptop manufacturers are directly following those mitigation in firmware/BIOS, Throttlestop and Intel XTU won't work.

That aside, your temps are fine. Is the cooling pad too loud for your taste or are you thinking you've left performance on the table here? With temps in the 70's your CPU should be fully boosting regardless, so you're not gaining more headroom with an undervolt. It would only be fan-noise that you could address with an undervolt, but with a cooling pad, that's probably louder than your laptop fans anyway. 

Thanks for the replies. In Halo Infinite, it stays around 77 without cooler boost. With cooler boost, It stays around 65. Yeah my temps are fine, I was just curious as to why undervolting was promoted so much! Also, I have the 12800HX CPU and therefor it in unlocked to OC and UV.