LF Recommendation: USB-C Dock/KVM

HarleyTorrisi

Hey,

Looking for advice to acheive this setep.

Currently I have two spaces in my home, one for work laptop and one for personal/gaming. I want to merge into a mega desk setup.

I need a hub that I can have my main desktop always plugged into, and another USB-C cable free to plug in a portabal device.

And be able to toggle between the two devices, so basically like a KVM...

As I have a Mac, DisplayLink technology is not really an option. The driver support is bad! Probably Apple's fault haha.

Much rather native support like a simple USB Hub does. But from what have read, "Alt Mode"? is ok? 

I have done research, however I havent been sold on anything. Either not enogh product info, or uses DisplayLink. 

Work provided me with this -> https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/WL-UG69PD2_WL-UG69PD2_Pro.html

Its fairly mediocer, half the time devices stop working after waking from sleep. And as it used DisplayLink, its a pain in the ass on Mac.

Thats why I am after something more native. Just a Roided up USB-C hub basically with x2 device options 😆

I thought to make things easier, and broarden the options. I could have a Dock and KVM seperate.
The USB-C output of the dock woult go into the KVM and the KVM would have x2 USB-C outputs. But I am not sure of that will start bringing in possible complication with all the passthrough. The device support is already a tall list haha. 

The list of peripherals

• USB-A KB / Mouse
  • USB-A HeadSet
  • USB-C WebCam
  • DP 4k Monitor -
    It can go upto 144hz for gaming, but willing to hang up the cape and say goodbye to competitive FPS gaming if it means I can bring all me devices together. 😂
  • HDMI 1080p monitor x2
  • USB-C Drawing table/screen (optional)
  • AUX Speaker (otpional)
  • Optical cable (optional) boosts my headset quality but not required
  • Spare USB input for randome things like game controller or thumb drive. (optional)
  • USB-C 100w power passthrough for portable diveces (optional)

Devices

• Battle Station - Windows Desktop
  • Dev Laptop - Mac M1 Air
  • Work Laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad

Thanks 🙂 

7ce6d5.jpg

So far anyone reading this, its was not intitialy high up on search results but I came accross the Logitech Dock. 
Bets of all. No DisplayLink 🦖
https://www.logitech.com/en-au/products/personal-workspaces/logi-dock.986-000027.html

Realising I have set my expectations too high with what a single USB-C Dock can support. I think this does a pretty good job. 
x2 Montor Support. While I have three, I can always have the third one hard lined into my main PC.

As for the KVM aspect... I can either go free, and just have two USB-C extention cable that I keep close the the dock. And switch out for dekstop/portable device.
Or get something like this -> https://www.amazon.com.au/ELECABLE-Bi-Direction-Splitter-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B0BG12L25Z/ref=sr_1_25?crid=3E29SALM3ITLX&keywords=USB-C+switch&qid=1677341820&sprefix=usb-c+switch%2Caps%2C242&sr=8-25 
ELECABLE USB C Switch Bi-Direction 2 in 1 Out or 1 in 2 Splitter 8K@60Hz Video / 10Gbps Data Transfer/ 100w Power Delivery Compatible with Thunderbolt Device