Can I diy this cables?

storm05
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

Yeah it should be fine. The cables and that button are generally nothing special. I've cut and extended them before, no issue. The LED polarity matters obviously. 

My case powerbutton cable is to short for my MB and I have to of the same cable on wondering if I can diy this to geter and will it work for turning on my pc and the led on my powerbutton. 

16766657228269210978056369301097.jpg

Yeah it should be fine. The cables and that button are generally nothing special. I've cut and extended them before, no issue. The LED polarity matters obviously. 

then tapped a round it like that. willl it worke or not. if not any vids on how to do it?

image.thumb.png.a253b1ca302de96cdd9419cb41763f27.png

1 hour ago, storm05 said:

then tapped a round it like that. willl it worke or not. if not any vids on how to do it?

Nothing against your artwork, but hard to tell what's going on in that picture. However, yes just splicing the wire together (joining it with some other wire by twisting them together) and covering them in tape (electrical tape please) should be fine. The LED wire does carry voltage (when on, it won't shock you off). The power switch wire doesn't really carry anything, it's just open/close.

43 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Nothing against your artwork, but hard to tell what's going on in that picture. However, yes just splicing the wire together (joining it with some other wire by twisting them together) and covering them in tape (electrical tape please) should be fine. The LED wire does carry voltage (when on, it won't shock you off). The power switch wire doesn't really carry anything, it's just open/close.

i was not able to twist them i put the coresponding cables wires in betwen eachother and taped it close with som sort of plastic sports tape. coud not use electric tape becaouse it was not sticky enough.

35 minutes ago, storm05 said:

i was not able to twist them i put the coresponding cables wires in betwen eachother and taped it close with som sort of plastic sports tape. coud not use electric tape becaouse it was not sticky enough.

Electrical tape isn't meant to be sticky. It's meant to be "pulled" tight and it compresses on it's self. As you wrap, you stretch the tape. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

29 minutes ago, storm05 said:

If you have bare wires just touching, not twisted together, it's likely not a very good connection. Just to make sure you are aware the electrical tape is more just to stick to itself, it's not there to "hold the wires together". It's job is just to insulate the wires, protect them, keep them from touching things. 

None of these things have much voltage (the switch is none) but you still want to make sure it's a good connection. Just make sure it's a good connection.

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Electrical tape isn't meant to be sticky. It's meant to be "pulled" tight and it compresses on it's self. As you wrap, you stretch the tape. 

Wow I did not know that 

9 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

If you have bare wires just touching, not twisted together, it's likely not a very good connection. Just to make sure you are aware the electrical tape is more just to stick to itself, it's not there to "hold the wires together". It's job is just to insulate the wires, protect them, keep them from touching things. 

None of these things have much voltage (the switch is none) but you still want to make sure it's a good connection. Just make sure it's a good connection.

I am gonna try to make a better connection tomorrow and update here. 

The cable wires are very stif and not sue I could twist them that was why I just connected them strands in between each other and taped.