4K "Live"/"Online"-Editing Machine, need opinions

Hi,

i'm Building a 4k Editing Machine for a client, that needs to be able to handle Redcode Raw "live" in Premier and also AE.

I'm not 100% sure, what settings he is using, but i believe it's RC42 and 7,5:1 in his 4k Red Camera - but with 60 FPS, so probably about 100 MB/s.

As said above, the machine has to handle it in live 4k ;) Price doesn't really matter, so i came up with that:

Oh - the GPU (GTX Titan), a Red Rocket and a Blackmagic Decklink Extreme are already "at Hand", so they are not in the Basket^^

(Beware - it's a German Website!^^)

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/269bfd22088aefa4a06dd4ec88f981e25d5159ca6a57c25c956

• 2x Intel Xeon E5-2643v2 (the "beefiest" E5 with 3,5 GHz baseclock and 6-Cores)
  • 2x Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E Extreme to cool the Stuff
  • 1x ASUS Z9PE-D8 Dual-CPU 
  • 64 GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133 RAM
  • 2x 128 GB 840 Pro SSD's (System, RAID-0)
  • 2x 1 TB 840 SSD's (Adobe Cach, or "actual Workdrive", also RAID 0)
  • 4x 4TB WD RED SAS (RAID5, drive between "Work" and "Storage"..Project-Drive, probably)
  • 1x Adaptec 8805 PCIe x8 for the SAS-Drives in Dual-Channel
  • 1x ICY BOX IB-544SSK for Dual-Channel Compatibility
  • 1x ICY BOX for the SSD's (which isn't really necessary...)
  • 1x NZXT Phantom 820 Big Tower to house it
  • 1x Fortron Aurum Pro Gold PSU (1000 Watt, i calculated the max. usage should be around 850-900 Watt)

And for the Storage of actual Projects, 2x 18 TB NAS (so ~ 30 TB of Storage in RAID-5) with Dual-Core CPUs...not sure if they are fast enough though.

~ 10k €

So, what do you think? That Monster should be able to handle Full 4k Live Editing...or not? :D

Since I am going to have to support this thing, it's not going to get Overclocked or anything like that (That's why the Xeon E5 with the highest Base-Clock).

(Since this is a bit on a time frame, i'm going to Post this also at Logans' Forum...please don't kill me! :D)

Good news everyone...!

Where are the graphics cards?  nvm it's 00:17 here

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

There is one problem with that, it needs some serious graphic horsepower. I would suggest something like a nvidia Quadro K5000, K6000, or 2 GTX Titan blacks

that "red rocket" is like a %500 bottleneck, if he wants to edit live footage, he will need something with more power to prevent stuttering, I would suggest a K4000 or equivalent WS GPU

Darn your editing in. I typed all that to help and you forgot to add them, in that case the titan should do fine but may work kind of hard.

GTX Titan is "in stock" ;) That's why it's not in there.

And since the Redcode seems to be heavyly reliant on the CPUs, more GPU's would not make a difference. And the quality difference is also noticable - or so i'm told from the client. And since the Red Rocket is a special render card for the Redcode RAW, it's only the decoding...

Good news everyone...!

GTX Titan is "in stock" ;) That's why it's not in there.

And since the Redcode seems to be heavyly reliant on the CPUs, more GPU's would not make a difference. And the quality difference is also noticable - or so i'm told from the client.

Yeah... The Xeons can't do anything without a GPU... Also I found a waay better deal for 6x 3.5. I'll make something really quick :) 

edit

ignore what i said

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Also I found a waay better deal for 6x 3.5. I'll make something really quick :)

You probably found the single-processor variant Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 .... not usable in a multiprocessor system.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

You probably found the single-processor variant Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 .... not usable in a multiprocessor system.

You are correct but I also found this Background on Intel Xeon E5 1600 V2 CPU

Intel's E5 1600 V2 series of Xeon processors are based on the Ivy Bridge EP architecture, and utilize the same socket 2011 for mounting. This generation brings technology improvements from the enthusiast Ivy Bridge-E series into the server and workstation areas, and combines them with the ability to run two CPUs on a single motherboard. That means a smaller manufacturing process, which in turn allows for slightly increased clock speeds and improved efficiency.

The E5-2643v2 is also IB-E. But it has also 5 Mb more L3 Cache and is Dual-Slot CPU.

The other alternative would be - if i'm not mistaken - the E5-2687Wv2. But it's at least 500 Euros more expensive. And i'm not entirely sure if Premiere uses more than 12-Cores anyway.

Good news everyone...!

The E5-2643v2 is also IB-E. But it has also 5 Mb more L3 Cache and is Dual-Slot CPU.

The other alternative would be - if i'm not mistaken - the E5-2687Wv2. But it's at least 500 Euros more expensive. And i'm not entirely sure if Premiere uses more than 12-Cores anyway.

A dual slot CPU... Wut? 

A dual slot CPU... Wut?

Yeah, well, Dual-CPU Configuration ;) It's 00:03 here :P

Unfortunately, there are a few things wrong with that.

• The Define R4 doesn't support the SSI-EED Format of the Mainboard.
  • 4 TB SSD is overkill (but it would be possible to use 2x 120 GB "normal" 840s...)
  • The E5-1650 v2 has no support for Dual-CPU Configurations. Could work, but thats a big risk to take.
  • I'm not a big Corsair Fan, so i'm not going to build a system with Corsair Ram :P Also, it's not on the compatibility list of the Asus Board and it's only 1866. (Yes, i know, the controller on the E5 can only do 1866, but ASUS says it's no problem)
  • The Areca RAID-Controller seems to be A LOT slower, than the Adaptec.

I can see no PSU in there. Also, the UPS seems a bit small... :unsure:

Good news everyone...!

There is one problem with that, it needs some serious graphic horsepower. I would suggest something like a nvidia Quadro K5000, K6000, or 2 GTX Titan blacks

that "red rocket" is like a %500 bottleneck, if he wants to edit live footage, he will need something with more power to prevent stuttering, I would suggest a K4000 or equivalent WS GPU

Darn your editing in. I typed all that to help and you forgot to add them, in that case the titan should do fine but may work kind of hard.

Sry^^ But could you please explain, why the Red Rocket should be a Bottleneck? Its especially made for the Redcode and it's especially sold from Red for that kind of stuff...

Good news everyone...!

Sry^^ But could you please explain, why the Red Rocket should be a Bottleneck? Its especially made for the Redcode and it's especially sold from Red for that kind of stuff...

I thought it was a gpu, so I crossed out all of what I said.