Worth the risk to swap PSU, but leave cables?

iplayforkeeps23

I know the Golden Rule of never using power cables from another PSU, but any chance I could use cables from a

MSI - MPG A850G PCIE 5 850 Watt ATX 80 Plus Gold PSU

With

MSI - MPG A1000G PCIE 5 1000 Watt ATX 90 Plus Gold PSU 

I really don't want to take off my motherboard so I can re cable manage. 

In this case, I believe they are interchangeable cables.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It not a good idea you could kill everything on the system. According to cable mod they are selling same cables so prob it is same but i wouldnt risk it

Just now, Gokul_P said:

It not a good idea you could kill everything on the system.

Here it's same brand and same series so pretty safe imo

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Since they're two power supplies from the same manufacturer, in the same model line, there's a good chance it's probably okay.

Double-check against a seller that makes third party cables, like CableMod. If they sell the same cables for both power supplies, you know they'll match.

You could also tone out the cables for both power supplies with a multimeter to be damned sure, but if you're going through that much work you might as well just swap cables.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

10 minutes ago, iplayforkeeps23 said:

I know the Golden Rule of never using power cables from another PSU, but any chance I could use cables from a

MSI - MPG A850G PCIE 5 850 Watt ATX 80 Plus Gold PSU

With

MSI - MPG A1000G PCIE 5 1000 Watt ATX 90 Plus Gold PSU 

I really don't want to take off my motherboard so I can re cable manage. 

I wouldn't risk it. Whether they may or may not be interchangeable, there have been cases where this has fried motherboards, even entire systems. Is risking that really worth saving an hour or so of work? And why would you need to remove the motherboard for PSU cable management?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Since they're two power supplies from the same manufacturer, in the same model line, there's a good chance it's probably okay.

Double-check against a seller that makes third party cables, like CableMod. If they sell the same cables for both power supplies, you know they'll match.

You could also tone out the cables for both power supplies with a multimeter to be damned sure, but if you're going through that much work you might as well just swap cables.

Since these are also flat cables, it's easier to do a visual verification that they're going to the same location. If one wire crosses over on one cable, and not the other on the power supply end, there's a good chance they're not compatible with each other, and I certainly wouldn't risk it without doing a full verification.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

In this case, I believe they are interchangeable cables.

Thanks! Any idea if there is a way to verify? 

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I wouldn't risk it. Whether they may or may not be interchangeable, there have been cases where this has fried motherboards, even entire systems. Is risking that really worth saving an hour or so of work? And why would you need to remove the motherboard for PSU cable management?

It's probably because the wires went to different locations in the power supply...The power supply was wired differently. When I say "interchangeable", I mean that in the FULLEST sense. The wires are going to the exact same locations without any change whatsoever. If you're referring to differences in cables, if MSI or any manufacturer sells cables that are compatible with different wattage power supplies that are part of the same platform, that would be a defect in the cables themselves. 

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Here it's same brand and same series so pretty safe imo

Being the same brand doesn't necessarilly mean they didn't change the cables.

1 minute ago, iplayforkeeps23 said:

I wonder too why you would need to remove the motherboard to replace cables. Anyhow, I believe this can be done with a multi meter. Find your grounds and stuff see if they are in the same place.

2 minutes ago, iplayforkeeps23 said:

You can do a visual verification on the power supply connector end. If they are the same, you are good. You could also call up MSI and ask customer service. 

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Being the same brand doesn't necessarilly mean they didn't change the cables.

I wonder too why you would need to remove the motherboard to replace cables. Anyhow, I believe this can be done with a multi meter. Find your grounds and stuff see if they are in the same place.

Same brand isn't enough, but on same series they would obviously use same pin layout, else it won't be a series...

But it's not a certainty I admit

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Same brand isn't enough, but on same series they would obviously use same pin layout, else it won't be a series...

But it's not a certainty I admit

Yeah, I mean. Corsair labels the 24-pin and if you have two thats cat 4 then you know they are the same. I wouldn't risk it without labels like that.

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can do a visual verification on the power supply connector end. If they are the same, you are good. You could also call up MSI and ask customer service. 

Even that could be a crap shoot. MSI proved their incompetence when I decided to upgrade to a 5900X. Site indicated my B450M Bazooka supported it with a BIOS update. Then after I bought the processor, I double-checked and was told that the BIOS update could fry my older board (their words, not mine). Now the site no longer shows 5900X support for that board.

This back-and-forth was not only irritating, but delayed my upgrade by six months. In addition, that MSI B450M board fought me tooth and nail with a previous upgrade to M.2 storage, GTX1650 and 32GB RAM, and actually bricked, requiring an RMA. I don't bother with MSI for anything now.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

if both power supplies have the same cable type on cablemod, they should be fine.

having a quick look myself, make DAMN SURE that they're both the pcie5 models, because then the cables are the same type.

however... they have other models with a very similar name, that use different cables, and that WILL blow stuff up.

Just now, An0maly_76 said:

Even that could be a crap shoot. MSI proved their incompetence when I decided to upgrade to a 5900X. Site indicated my B450M Bazooka supported it with a BIOS update, then after I bought the processor, I confirmed to be told that the update could fry my older board (their words, not mine), now the site no longer shows 5900X support for that board.

I would argue that's false advertising then. How many people would've gone to MSI to verify compatibility? At least a few would look and go "oh it's compatible" and then fuck up their motherboard. While I think users SHOULD exercise critical thinking, I also think manufacturers need to be held accountable for what they advertise on their website, especially if it's explicitly stated as compatible, in this case. 

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Even that could be a crap shoot. MSI proved their incompetence when I decided to upgrade to a 5900X. Site indicated my B450M Bazooka supported it with a BIOS update, then after I bought the processor, I confirmed to be told that the update could fry my older board (their words, not mine), now the site no longer shows 5900X support for that board.

In addition, that MSI B450M board fought me tooth and nail upgrading to M.2 storage, GTX1650 and 32GB RAM, and actually bricked, requiring an RMA. I don't bother with MSI for anything now.

that's so far beside the point i cant even explain how much this is irrelevant to the pinouts on their power supplies.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I would argue that's false advertising then. How many people would've gone to MSI to verify compatibility? At least a few would look and go "oh it's compatible" and then fuck up their motherboard. While I think users SHOULD exercise critical thinking, I also think manufacturers need to be held accountable for what they advertise on their website, especially if it's explicitly stated as compatible, in this case. 

Oh, it gets worse than that. Greg Salazar recently posted a Fix or Flop that turned out to be an MSI BIOS update that removed support for Zen 2. Machine had a 3600 (Zen 2) of course, and there are still plenty of Zen 2s in use out there. I have one myself, as well as a Zen (1700).

Poor guy swapped out processors before verifying the 3600 wasn't dead on another board. I don't know where MSI is getting their employees these days, but I think they need to go back to school.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's so far beside the point i cant even explain how much this is irrelevant to the pinouts on their power supplies.

It's entirely the point. My experience proves you can't take what MSI's support says as gospel.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

It's entirely the point. My experience proves you can't take what MSI's support says as gospel.

but msi doesnt say anything, msi sticks their name on a power supply made by some OEM, and cablemod is the source to find out which power supply has which cable type.

it would literally take MSI more effort to have the cable standard change on an existing product, than to leave it as-is.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but msi doesnt say anything, msi sticks their name on a power supply made by some OEM, and cablemod is the source to find out which power supply has which cable type.

it would literally take MSI more effort to have the cable standard change on an existing product, than to leave it as-is.

Further emphasizing the point that there's no guarantee the specific support person you're talking to knows what they're talking about. If any of them. I'm not trying to be dogmatic here, I'm just saying that they have proven on multiple occasions that their word is not gold.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, An0maly_76 said:

Further emphasizing the point that there's no guarantee the specific support person you're talking to knows what they're talking about. If any of them. I'm not trying to be dogmatic here, I'm just saying that they have proven on multiple occasions that their word is not gold.

still, completely besides the point of this topic.

i agree that MSI as a corporation is about as socially capable as my cat, but that has no relation to this thread what so ever.

THIS. IS. NOT. ABOUT. MSI. SUPPORT. it's simply a question about if power supply A uses the same cable type as power supply B, which can be determined without relying on a single word any MSI employee has said.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

still, completely besides the point of this topic.

i agree that MSI as a corporation is about as socially capable as my cat, but that has no relation to this thread what so ever.

THIS. IS. NOT. ABOUT. MSI. SUPPORT. it's simply a question about if power supply A uses the same cable type as power supply B, which can be determined without relying on a single word any MSI employee has said.

I never said it WAS about MSI support. I mentioned this solely because of THIS...

48 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

As shown, someone mentioned consulting MSI about this. So it IS, in fact, relevant to an element in the thread. I was illustrating the point that consulting MSI is likely a crap shoot.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

When you can't tell for sure, just change the cables and be safe.

I was in the same situation but with a Seasonic Prime 600W Fanless upgrade to a TX-1000.
While the cables are pin compatible, the ones from the 600W have smoothing capacitors built in, the ones from the 1000W don't.
It still would work in most use cases but not in all.

In general, it's better to keep together what belongs together and by the time discussing it, you could have swapped the cables, already.

20 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yeah I dont even see either series on CableMod....