Would the stock cooler be enough for gaming on a Ryzen 5 5500?

quorp
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Stock cooling is fine. It's definitely not great, it's likely to be a bit loud, but performance should be fine. It's free, so you might as well try it, and if you can't handle the noise get a new cooler. 

I'm about to upgrade to a ryzen 5 5500 and was wondering if I should also buy a separate cooler. I've got a deepcool one for 32$ AUD that i'd be getting if i need it.

Cooler

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Stock cooling is fine. It's definitely not great, it's likely to be a bit loud, but performance should be fine. It's free, so you might as well try it, and if you can't handle the noise get a new cooler. 

noise shouldnt be an issue, i have to have my graphics card at almost 100% fan speed to keep it below amd's "temperature threshold". thank you!

Agree with Ronothan.  Stock cooler is more than enough for the ryzen 5 5500, its a low powered chip.  AMD wouldn't give you a cooler with the CPU if it couldn't handle it.

13 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Agree with Ronothan.  Stock cooler is more than enough for the ryzen 5 5500, its a low powered chip.  AMD wouldn't give you a cooler with the CPU if it couldn't handle it.

Typically if the chip is ran at stock it's fine, if OC'ing that might make a difference once things are loaded down.
However since it's a low wattage chip, as long as you don't go crazy with clocks and voltage it's probrably OK to go with but if not, you know what to do.

BTW I will say AMD's stock voltage spec (1.40V's) is kinda high and if you have that as it's default CPU voltage you can get it to run cooler by setting it yourself in the BIOS via the "Manual" voltage selection.

Don't use offset because if you do use it and don't understand what offset does, you could be zapping the chip with more voltage instead.

I'd say try it with about 1.30v's set manually and see what it does at stock and go from there. 
Be sure to monitor temps under load, not at idle so you'll know what's going on and what to do from that point onward.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

BTW I will say AMD's stock voltage spec (1.40V's) is kinda high and if you have that as it's default CPU voltage you can get it to run cooler by setting it yourself in the BIOS via the "Manual" voltage selection.

Don't use offset because if you do use it and don't understand what offset does, you could be zapping the chip with more voltage instead.

I'd say try it with about 1.30v's set manually and see what it does at stock and go from there. 
Be sure to monitor temps under load, not at idle so you'll know what's going on and what to do from that point onward.

So there are a couple problems with that type of thing, Ryzen chips are very susceptible to clock stretching and can see some very drastic performance decreases when using either a negative offset or setting a static voltage. The way around that is to do a manual overclock and ditch PBO entirely, but then you're losing out on single core boost and likely getting worse gaming performance. 

If you want to undervolt those chips you have to do so in the curve optimizer, but that's got a whole other set of weird behavior that's near impossible to stress test (crashes tend to happen at idle, not at full load like you'd expect) so not exactly something I'd recommend. 

Also, 1.4V should only be when the chip is at idle, when temps shouldn't be high anyway. Under full load they should be closer to 1.3V anyway, so this really isn't that big a deal. 

• 5 months later...

For cooling, stock coolers are generally sufficient for normal usage, but if you plan to do heavy tasks, consider upgrading to an aftermarket cooler.

In my opinion, Hyper 212 is a good option to consider, and I think these guys also agree with me. 

Got this list from Google, and with little research, you can check out many cheap coolers worth upgrading over the AMD stock coolers.