Question about USB harddisk docks

ArcticApe

Hello!

I have an old harddisk from my old gaming PC, and I want to get some files off of it. I still have the old PC, but I would need to rebuild it and its a pain in the ass.

So, my question is; Would it be possible to buy one of those USB 3.5hdd docks and plug it into my new pc, just for a short while to get files off of it? And if the disk is encrypted (with bitlocker or something), would it stay locked if I were to rebuild the old PC and plug the harddisk in then?

Yes you can, you can just connect it to your pc and browse files on it as you would normally, just under a different drive letter. If the drive is encrypted with bitlocker,veracrypt etc..., you can still unlock it and browse as normal. It would not strip the encryption off the drive. I have a variant of this model, only difference is this SKU has a card reader. https://www.amazon.com/FIDECO-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station/dp/B07D8S7RN7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=37LTI6OK1MH3F&keywords=fideco+hdd+dock&qid=1675875355&sprefix=fideco+hdd+dock%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-3 

38 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

If the drive is encrypted with Bitlocker, WikiHow has a great guide how to unlock the drive:

https://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Bitlocker-Encrypted-Drive-from-Command-Prompt

it's not locked, my concern is if it ends up getting locked, and I for some reason become unable to unlock it (Idk if I ever logged in with a microsoft account on my old pc), that it wouldnt even help to plug it into my old pc

4 hours ago, ArcticApe said:

it's not locked, my concern is if it ends up getting locked, and I for some reason become unable to unlock it (Idk if I ever logged in with a microsoft account on my old pc), that it wouldnt even help to plug it into my old pc

Ah, sorry. I didn't read it thoroughly enough.

I'd say it's a 50/50 chance that Bitlocker is gonna get triggered. As far as I know it triggers when it detects a hardware change, but I have sometimes seen that it triggers even if the machine was just powered off and unplugged from the wall. Maybe because the CMOS was reset in that timespan (I don't know for sure). If you want to check if the Bitlocker recovery key is linked to you Microsoft account you can go here and check if the key is listed.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯