Can't Get 144HZ With Acer Aspire 7 A715-51G

Hello there!

I have an Acer Aspire 7 A715-51G and I got a new monitor (Viewsonic XG2405-2) to use as my main display but I can't seem to make 144Hz work with this monitor.

1. Can only get up to 120Hz on my new monitor when I use my laptop.
  2. The laptop itself supports 144Hz, has HDMI 2.1 input, and the integrated display works with 144Hz with no problem.
  3. I tried the same monitor with the same HDMI 1.4 cable with my desktop and it worked, but no luck getting 144Hz with the laptop.
  4. The laptop only has 1 HDMI port and a spare TYPE-C/Thunderbolt port I can use for my monitors. Depending on what we find out, I'm either getting a display port adapter for this monitor or an HDMI adapter for my other monitor.

Any help is appreciated!

10 minutes ago, Balsamic Vinegar said:

Hello there!

I have an Acer Aspire 7 A715-51G and I got a new monitor (Viewsonic XG2405-2) to use as my main display but I can't seem to make 144Hz work with this monitor.

1. Can only get up to 120Hz on my new monitor when I use my laptop.
  2. The laptop itself supports 144Hz, has HDMI 2.1 input, and the integrated display works with 144Hz with no problem.
  3. I tried the same monitor with the same HDMI 1.4 cable with my desktop and it worked, but no luck getting 144Hz with the laptop.
  4. The laptop only has 1 HDMI port and a spare TYPE-C/Thunderbolt port I can use for my monitors. Depending on what we find out, I'm either getting a display port adapter for this monitor or an HDMI adapter for my other monitor.

Any help is appreciated!

does it have a mini-DP port? check that pls

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

48 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

does it have a mini-DP port? check that pls

The monitor has 2x(HDMI 1.4) ports and 1x(Display Port)

The laptop has 1x(HDMI 2.1) port and 1x(Type C Port) (probably thunderbolt 4)

Edited by Balsamic Vinegar

144Hz over HDMI technically should work and I'd like to get that for my new monitor, and then use a Type-C to HDMI adapter for my older monitor so the main display could work without the extra stuff.

I also remember reading somewhere that using Type-C adapters could have negative implications for performance since they need extra resources from the processor instead of the GPUs. What's your take on the situation? 🤔