Ryzen 9 7950x High Temperature when IDLE

Skynet5
Go to solution Solved by AlanPorter,
2 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

[Truncated]

A pump can technically run without pushing water and, while I don't think it's likely to see immediate spikes in temperature like what you're experiencing, it's a possibility.

If no other solutions fix your issue then I'd try remounting the cooler and, while you're doing that, checking if the thermal compound pre-applied was just old stock and is partially dried. Obviously that's a last ditch effort.

SPECS: 

OS Win 11

RTX 3080 ti

64 GB DDR5

Ryzen 9 7950x

ALSO:

AIO LS720

I am getting 50 in bios however as soon as I boot to windows it spikes to 75-80 not sure what could be wrong I only starting noticing this recently(although could be longer)

Might seem obvious, but is the pump running on your AIO? It should be audible up close, especially at startup (you can hear the fluid moving).

You should also be running the pump off a header designed for pump use (check your board manual) and you want your motherboard to run said pump at 100% all the time. You do NOT want PMW or DC control of the pump to occur as a result of changing system temperatures. Check your BIOS settings for all that.

If that fails, you may want to try reapplying your thermal paste and re-mounting your cooler. Make sure you've also removed the sticker on the AIO coldplate 🙂

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

SPECS: 

OS Win 11

RTX 3080 ti

64 GB DDR5

Ryzen 9 7950x

ALSO:

AIO LS720

I am getting 50 in bios however as soon as I boot to windows it spikes to 75-80 not sure what could be wrong I only starting noticing this recently(although could be longer)

Sounds like the cooler not doing its job, can you feel the tubes vibrating with fluid flow when its on?  If not, the pump isn't working, or there's a blockage. Also did you install it yourself - enough or not too much thermal paste?

I'm not familiar with Ryzen 7000, but for Ryzen 5000 series, some of the highest temps I would see were when Windows first started. This is because Tdie/Tctrl is a hotspot temp, and usually the CPU is going to clock highest when doing lightly threaded tasks, which are common at startup.

Does it stay high or does it just spike when you first boot?

Just now, YoungBlade said:

I'm not familiar with Ryzen 7000, but for Ryzen 5000 series, some of the highest temps I would see were when Windows first started. This is because Tdie/Tctrl is a hotspot temp, and usually the CPU is going to clock highest when doing lightly threaded tasks, which are common at startup.

Does it stay high or does it just spike when you first boot?

It stays high if I am lucky it goes down to 73 (When playing game s such as division 1 I get temps of 85-87)

2 minutes ago, Rob Matthews said:

Sounds like the cooler not doing its job, can you feel the tubes vibrating with fluid flow when its on?  If not, the pump isn't working, or there's a blockage. Also did you install it yourself - enough or not too much thermal paste?

I installed it my self I can feel them slightly I installed myself and I am using pre-installed paste

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Might seem obvious, but is the pump running on your AIO? It should be audible up close, especially at startup (you can hear the fluid moving).

You should also be running the pump off a header designed for pump use (check your board manual) and you want your motherboard to run said pump at 100% all the time. You do NOT want PMW or DC control of the pump to occur as a result of changing system temperatures. Check your BIOS settings for all that.

If that fails, you may want to try reapplying your thermal paste and re-mounting your cooler. Make sure you've also removed the sticker on the AIO coldplate 🙂

Yes and according to bios It says 3000 rpm

1 minute ago, Skynet5 said:

Yes and according to bios It says 3000 rpm

so your BIOS is reporting a constant 3000-ish RPM on the pump? No major fluctuations?

If you put your ear near the pump/block and start your PC, you your hear the audible "swish" sound of the water flowing?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

so your BIOS is reporting a constant 3000-ish RPM on the pump? No major fluctuations?

If you put your ear near the pump/block and start your PC, you your hear the audible "swish" sound of the water flowing?

No fluctuations I'll have to test that when I get home in 1/2 hour but I don't hear it while running except fans but I do feel the liquid vibration. 

4 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

No fluctuations I'll have to test that when I get home in 1/2 hour but I don't hear it while running except fans but I do feel the liquid vibration. 

if you can feel the water moving that's fine. It's just that sometimes pumps fail or aren't configured correctly and the loop contents stays stagnant.

2 minutes ago, Skynet5 said:

[Truncated]

A pump can technically run without pushing water and, while I don't think it's likely to see immediate spikes in temperature like what you're experiencing, it's a possibility.

If no other solutions fix your issue then I'd try remounting the cooler and, while you're doing that, checking if the thermal compound pre-applied was just old stock and is partially dried. Obviously that's a last ditch effort.

Likelihood of editing a post: 93%.
Refresh before responding.