Lenovo Error 0162, USB not working

Kaas0001

So, I have some POST errors on an M715q, specifically Error 0162

However, I also cannot access the BIOS since the keyboard and mouse seem to hae no power.

Cant access BIOS,

Cant access Windows,

No USB Power...

Cant boot to PXE, nor boot to USB

So.. what now?

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

54 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

So, I have some POST errors on an M715q, specifically Error 0162

However, I also cannot access the BIOS since the keyboard and mouse seem to hae no power.

Cant access BIOS,

Cant access Windows,

No USB Power...

Cant boot to PXE, nor boot to USB

So.. what now?

Do you have a PS/2 port?  Does it work?  What about a usb pcie card? (A crappo junk tier usb1.1 is more than fine) new usb2 cards are about $7 shipped on eBay

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This is a Lenovo thinclient, doesnt have a Ps/2 port, nor seperate USB cards

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

5 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

This is a Lenovo thinclient, doesnt have a Ps/2 port, nor seperate USB cards

Then it’s doing it’s processing on something else.  You haven’t lost any data if there’s no way to fix it.  All I got is call Lenovo support.  This could easily be a hardware problem.  Can you flash the bios without going to the screen?  Got anything else to log in with?  This sort of problem might have been planned for by the engineers.  There is possibly something.  Lenovo will know.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I cant access the BIOS since my USB ports do not give a kick.

The only thing I know ATM is that the RAM can only be in one slot to even do something. 

If I put it on the other one, it doesnt show any image at all

It sounds as if the USB controller might be fried. If that's the case, you're out of luck.

What you are experiencing is what Lenovo would call "planned obsolescense".  Lenovo along with many other manufacturers around the world "program" their electronic devices to last at most, a certain amount of time.  They do this in the hope the buyer (you and me) will return to them to either fix the problem or they talk us into buying something new.  This applies to computer, watches, microwave ovens, the clock on your nightstand, etc....

1. the process of becoming obsolete or outdated and no longer used.
    "computers are infamous for their rapid obsolescence"

31 minutes ago, whispous said:

It sounds as if the USB controller might be fried. If that's the case, you're out of luck.

Do you happen to know where that might be located, roughly?

Cant find a nice schematic

5 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Do you happen to know where that might be located, roughly?

Cant find a nice schematic

Sorry. It will be part of the chipset (not reasonably repairable) or a controller chip on the mainboard inside.

54 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

I cant access the BIOS since my USB ports do not give a kick.

The only thing I know ATM is that the RAM can only be in one slot to even do something. 

If I put it on the other one, it doesnt show any image at all

Was the ram that way before this problem cropped up or did it happen at the same time?

1 hour ago, kb5zue said:

What you are experiencing is what Lenovo would call "planned obsolescense".  Lenovo along with many other manufacturers around the world "program" their electronic devices to last at most, a certain amount of time.  They do this in the hope the buyer (you and me) will return to them to either fix the problem or they talk us into buying something new.  This applies to computer, watches, microwave ovens, the clock on your nightstand, etc....

1. the process of becoming obsolete or outdated and no longer used.
    "computers are infamous for their rapid obsolescence"

Well a manufacturer doing that gets my “not buy their product again until I know they have stopped” seal of “wtf is wrong with you” along with a rude finger gesture.  Making your product LESS reliable on purpose has been tried many many times over many many years and it always turns out the same way..badly.  For some reason people think they’re the first ones to think of this.  They’re not.   This was probably an issue in Ancient Rome. A company that tries that will lose customers even if they don’t get caught. Unless the product in question is of temporary use, they get a rep for bad reliability.  A net negative.   If they do the business usually folds.  If you want to wreck a company and I do mean wreck them, prove it’s happening.  Worse than the biggest liability lawsuit ever.  It’s so bad every worker in the company that even might have known may have trouble finding another job. Mere rumors that apple was even talking about it at a board level only cost the company millions in sales.  Now their phone OSes last 2 to 3 times as long as the competition.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Was the ram that way before this problem cropped up or did it happen at the same time?

Yup, havent moved them

3 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Yup, havent moved them

So yes it was that way before this problem cropped up or yes it happened at the same time?  If it was always that way this may be a symptom of an earlier problem.  If it’s not it implies cpu or motherboard.  If the product is new the answer is easy: return the thing.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Well a manufacturer doing that gets my “not buy their product again until I know they have stopped” seal of “wtf is wrong with you” along with a rude finger gesture.  Making your product LESS reliable on purpose has been tried many many times over many many years and it always turns out the same way..badly.  For some reason people think they’re the first ones to think of this.  They’re not.   This was probably an issue in Ancient Rome. A company that tries that will lose customers even if they don’t get caught. Unless the product in question is of temporary use, they get a rep for bad reliability.  A net negative.   If they do the business usually folds.  If you want to wreck a company and I do mean wreck them, prove it’s happening.  Worse than the biggest liability lawsuit ever.  It’s so bad every worker in the company that even might have known may have trouble finding another job. Mere rumors that apple was even talking about it at a board level only cost the company millions in sales.  Now their phone OSes last 2 to 3 times as long as the competition.

If you think I'm making this up, try digging into the john deere right to repair lawsuit.  The whole idea was to force farmers that owned their tractors into returning to John Deere when repairs were needed forcing the farmers to spend their money at John Deere instead of becoming able to fix the tractors themselves.  The whole scheme was John Deere's planned obsolescence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+deere+right+to+repair&rlz=1C1UEAD_enUS1031US1031&oq=john+deere+right+to+repair&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l9.21035j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

If you think I'm making this up, try digging into the john deere right to repair lawsuit.  The whole idea was to force farmers that owned their tractors into returning to John Deere when repairs were needed forcing the farmers to spend their money at John Deere instead of becoming able to fix the tractors themselves.  The whole scheme was John Deere's planned obsolescence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+deere+right+to+repair&rlz=1C1UEAD_enUS1031US1031&oq=john+deere+right+to+repair&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l9.21035j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Right to repair is something different than Planned Obselescence

11 hours ago, CheeseOnion said:

Right to repair is something different than Planned Obselescence

Not according to the farmers.  John Deere "programmed" the tractors into failing when the warranties on the tractors were at or near going beyond the warranty period.  This forced the farmers into either trying to fix the tractors themselves or return them to the dealership for repairs, or sell the tractor and purchase new.

But that's okay, you win.