What's the best one time payment 3D modeling software?

ShadeWolf

I'm an engineer who has used several different 3D programs for work (primarily NX and Autodesk Inventor) and am looking for a good software I can use at home. Not for anything super serious but for some fun stuff or some 3D or resin printing. I really hate monthly or yearly licenses which seems like the only way to get most modeling software these days. Does anyone know of a good software that is a one time purchase? Even if it is on the more expensive side I'd rather make a one time large purchase than have a subscription.

I know there are some free software out there but they usually only allow for relatively simple modeling and although I won't be designing something insanely complicated I do what to have the option of making something more advanced if possible.

The only thing I have found currently is that you can download Unreal Engine 5 from the Epic store? I know that's more for game development so not sure if it would fit my more basic modeling applications but it might work. Thanks in advance for your input.

9 minutes ago, ShadeWolf said:

I'm an engineer who has used several different 3D programs for work (primarily NX and Autodesk Inventor) and am looking for a good software I can use at home. Not for anything super serious but for some fun stuff or some 3D or resin printing. I really hate monthly or yearly licenses which seems like the only way to get most modeling software these days. Does anyone know of a good software that is a one time purchase? Even if it is on the more expensive side I'd rather make a one time large purchase than have a subscription.

I know there are some free software out there but they usually only allow for relatively simple modeling and although I won't be designing something insanely complicated I do what to have the option of making something more advanced if possible.

The only thing I have found currently is that you can download Unreal Engine 5 from the Epic store? I know that's more for game development so not sure if it would fit my more basic modeling applications but it might work. Thanks in advance for your input.

Try blender, it is totally free and more than capable of simple to advanced modelling. I know a lot of the Warhammer 40K and D&D crowd use it for designing models and environment pieces to 3D Print. It also has hardware acceleration built in for Nvidia, AMD and now Intel GPUs.

There are a wide range of addons for blender from free to premium to subscription based.

Also very compatible with Unity and Unreal.

I would say blender but if you are making something more industiral like, Vention would be a good option, it is basically a cloud-based 3D design software that is primarily focused on machine design. It allows you to design, simulate, and order custom industrial equipment and machinery quickly and easily, without the need for traditional engineering tools and methods. With Vention, you can design your components, assemble them into complete systems, and order them for direct shipment to your location. Vention is a subscription-based service, and pricing is based on the number of active users and the amount of storage you require. While it's not a one-time purchase option, it is a good choice for those who are looking for a cloud-based software that is specifically designed for industrial design.

You can still get perpetual licences for Cinema 4D or Zbrush: https://www.maxon.net/en/buy/perpetual

But yeah, overall I'd also say to go for Blender for free, it's quite capable.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I use Blender and Fusion 360 personally. Blender is free. Fusion 360 is free for personal/educational use if I remember correctly.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB