Oculus bricked my rift.... PLEASE HELP!

Rackneh

Hey all,

My Asus laptop with 780m used to work fine for VR, from B&S to Alyx. But when I tried to use it again after a bit of a hiatus (2 months-ish), the bar on the top became red for GPU driver out-ofdate and it just stopped working.

I mainly use my rift for our Unity VR project and I really need the rift to do advanced testing.

Can someone help me spoof my GPUid for Oculus, turn off the gpu check or do some regedit magic?

The Oculus support chat was not able to help much, the first one was helpful but the second one told me "surely we will get back to you".... so yeah.. HELP!

I don't think there's a "GPU for Oculus", it just uses the GPU in your system...? You can try to use DDU on your 780M drivers and reinstall them, but afaik the 780M has been out of support for a while. Wouldn't put it past the Meta team to kill old driver support. Also, reinstall your Oculus application, that has all the drivers for using the Rift.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

3 minutes ago, mr cheese said:

I don't think there's a "GPU for Oculus", it just uses the GPU in your system...? You can try to use DDU on your 780M drivers and reinstall them, but afaik the 780M has been out of support for a while. Wouldn't put it past the Meta team to kill old driver support. Also, reinstall your Oculus application, that has all the drivers for using the Rift.

No I meant spoof what the system thinks the gpu is so the oculus check passes.

Reinstalling the drivers won't do anything because the problem is Oculus thinking I should update my gpu to one that's for the gt 1030. (attachments)
They just made an automated system that checks if your gpu has a update newer than 3 years, the system just checks for the next driver version instead of seeing if the GPU is even in that version. It should allow people to ignore the setting and continue, this makes no sense from a company standpoint.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 060449.png

That gpu is a decade old and is in so little current use it's no longer even tracked anymore in steams hardware survey.

if you need the machine to just function as before then do a system restore to a point when the machine was working and disconnect it from the internet to prevent future updates.

8 minutes ago, Rackneh said:

They just made an automated system that checks if your gpu has a update newer than 3 years, the system just checks for the next driver version instead of seeing if the GPU is even in that version. It should allow people to ignore the setting and continue, this makes no sense from a company standpoint.

how it checks is irrelevant , their end goal is to ignore legacy hardware nobody uses anymore

9 minutes ago, Rackneh said:

The last Windows-provided NVIDIA driver for the 780 was from 2018, and yours from 2019. So many things have been changed in the driver stack for VR since then that it's only reasonable that they bump up support for newer drivers. I don't believe you can driver-spoof at all for what you're trying to do. Are you using the latest drivers from NVIDIA directly or from Windows Update?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

51 minutes ago, mr cheese said:

The last Windows-provided NVIDIA driver for the 780 was from 2018, and yours from 2019. So many things have been changed in the driver stack for VR since then that it's only reasonable that they bump up support for newer drivers. I don't believe you can driver-spoof at all for what you're trying to do. Are you using the latest drivers from NVIDIA directly or from Windows Update?

Yes I'm using the last driver Nvidia offers for my GPU. There's no feature updates that were needed to keep it running as it was, there was also nothing new added that would make running my current games and unity not function. It's just an arbitrary check.

53 minutes ago, emosun said:

That gpu is a decade old and is in so little current use it's no longer even tracked anymore in steams hardware survey.

if you need the machine to just function as before then do a system restore to a point when the machine was working and disconnect it from the internet to prevent future updates.

how it checks is irrelevant , their end goal is to ignore legacy hardware nobody uses anymore

I'll check if there's a restore point but even if there was I need it to work with the internet, it's my main machine.
Upgrading isn't really an option, it'll take a few months before I can afford a new secondhand laptop.

Them not supporting this gpu is not even saving them money, it can play Alyx. Fuck you Zuckerberg.

Update: I tried this, the drivers updated but it's not working right, so I'm continuing the search.

Update, almost every email I get back from Meta is from a different representative.
Had them on the phone once which seemed promising but again on the email they keep going "please update or upgrade it" and then when I tell them "it worked fine 2 months ago, there is no reason it should just be bricked now" they go "let me look into this for you".

I scheduled another call, they better take this seriously.

I understand if they want to keep things simple for the people not into tech but atleast allow for a f***** registry, ini change or launch command that lets people who know what they're doing skip and ignore the hardware checks....

You're eliminating parts of your userbase for the sake of simplicity.

They're basically saying I should have gotten a vive from the start, cuz atleast then I could still use it at all.

Frustration aside their customer support is at least very polite