Folders with a lot of stuff in them take ages to load

I have like a folder that's on an SSD, 3k files, pictures mostly, and it takes forever for them to be put in the right order and "load," even though all the thumbnails should be already generated. Why is that? I never really understood it, it's been a thing forever. Does anyone else ever think about this or finds it annoying? If yes how do you solve it?

LtNxLU6.png

x570 dark hero | 3950x | 6800xt rog hybrid | tridentz 3200 2x16 + 4000 2x16 | 1tb 980 pro, 512gb 970 evo, seagate 1tb wd 5tb | kraken x63 | dark base pro 900 r1 | corsair hx850i

5 minutes ago, Illyaimi said:

Does anyone else ever think about this or finds it annoying? If yes how do you solve it?

they invented ssds , or they put the files into more than a single folder

6 minutes ago, Illyaimi said:

I have like a folder that's on an SSD, 3k files, pictures mostly, and it takes forever for them to be put in the right order and "load," even though all the thumbnails should be already generated. Why is that? I never really understood it, it's been a thing forever. Does anyone else ever think about this or finds it annoying? If yes how do you solve it?

LtNxLU6.png

Windows is creating preview images, that is why it takes so long. The amount of files in the folder doesn't really help either. If you want to access a specific file, open cmd and navigate to it. Works super fast. Also consider other image gallery applications to manage your gallery. File Explorer is still single threaded and the SSD is great but the system is not utilizing both really well. Instead of updating those features, MS added or is about to add tabs, weather, news into File Explorer, because that is what we all need.....

Short solution, smaller folders or a dedicated file manager, don't ask me, my image galleries are a mess as well. I haven't had a proper image gallery since the early Mac OS 10.1 days.

even if the explorer software is written very well, its still an O(n) problem. it is always going to take longer the more files that need to be loaded.

The easiest solution as others have pointed is just splitting them in multiple directories.

even as simple as sort1a, sort1b, etc... will help alot

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

19 minutes ago, Illyaimi said:

I am using a high end hard drive and never had anything like that happening:

image.png.6772d6862710024e6fddae5977983e

And i have folders with 20,000 files in them...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I am using a high end hard drive and never had anything like that happening:

image.png.6772d6862710024e6fddae5977983e

And i have folders with 20,000 files in them...

Copying files is different from displaying them in Explorer

elephants

11 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Copying files is different from displaying them in Explorer

Yeah i know, i posted this screenshot for clarity so that people won't think it's the average hard drive.

I have a folder with 20,000 files and they instantaneously load in windows explorer.

It's weird because SSDs should have high random read performance than my hard drive,

Could QLC D-RAMless SATA SSD drives be that slow?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

they invented ssds , or they put the files into more than a single folder

Well, it's an ssd, and it's my sort folder, so it's stuff that's waiting to be sorted, but still...

17 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Short solution, smaller folders or a dedicated file manager, don't ask me, my image galleries are a mess as well. I haven't had a proper image gallery since the early Mac OS 10.1 days.

Might need to look into the file manager route. I already use something called Hydrus for pictures, but these are stuff that is not sorted yet. I just thought if I already cached the thumbnails (isn't this done on every folder in windows and you can even reset them?) it wouldn't take minutes to sort a few thousand files every time the folder is newly opened.

It also feels like file explorer is just kinda slow in general, not sure why. Like sometimes I have to restart the process cuz folders don't load at all.

x570 dark hero | 3950x | 6800xt rog hybrid | tridentz 3200 2x16 + 4000 2x16 | 1tb 980 pro, 512gb 970 evo, seagate 1tb wd 5tb | kraken x63 | dark base pro 900 r1 | corsair hx850i

Ok did some googling, found this https://files.community/download

Testing it now but it instantly sorted and grouped the same folder that file explorer was struggling with for me, even when the thumbnails didn't finish loading in yet. I will update the thread later if I like it and it works fine. Thanks for the tips!

It loads slow because Windows Explorer probably creates thumbnails and probably tries to read EXIF and/or other things for each picture like width , height, number of colors etc

I use total commander so I don't know if you maybe have Windows Explorer options and from there, probably you can uncheck some option.

Maybe

Display file icon on thumbnails

Display file size information in folder tips

Show preview handlers in preview pane

Also in folder properties there's the option "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition ... " - don't know if it would make any difference, I think this is supposed to be more for searching files, not make a difference when viewing files.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

It loads slow because Windows Explorer probably creates thumbnails and probably tries to read EXIF and/or other things for each picture like width , height, number of colors etc

I use total commander so I don't know if you maybe have Windows Explorer options and from there, probably you can uncheck some option.

Maybe

Display file icon on thumbnails

Display file size information in folder tips

Show preview handlers in preview pane

Also in folder properties there's the option "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition ... " - don't know if it would make any difference, I think this is supposed to be more for searching files, not make a difference when viewing files.

Yeah it probably has to do something with thumbnails, but I feel like there should be a cache where it keeps them and fetches them from rather than take minutes to load every time.

I will try those and rebuilding indexing if the current program I downloaded ends up not working well enough, thanks.

22 minutes ago, Illyaimi said:

Yeah it probably has to do something with thumbnails, but I feel like there should be a cache where it keeps them and fetches them from rather than take minutes to load every time.

I will try those and rebuilding indexing if the current program I downloaded ends up not working well enough, thanks.

are you paging by any chance? and is the page file on an HDD.

Also I think windows has some options for file indexing, I imagine if that is disabled it can slow down the process quite a lot.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

52 minutes ago, Illyaimi said:

Ok did some googling, found this https://files.community/download

Testing it now but it instantly sorted and grouped the same folder that file explorer was struggling with for me, even when the thumbnails didn't finish loading in yet. I will update the thread later if I like it and it works fine. Thanks for the tips!

Interesting, I will have to try that one myself.