[Ender3] first layer looks like a topographic map

Takumidesh
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
19 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

-SNIP-

Normally this is the height as others have said, of course make sure to clean the glass off really well with isopropyl but that propagation across the print happens when a little filament oozes around the nozzle and it progressively gets worst. 

It doesn't need much try adjusting the offset by 0.05mm or so that should help.  

recently decided to try a glass bed out.

I like the leveling process, but on large first layer prints I get this bumpiness.

I am printing the first layer pretty slow, 25mm/s

Running Klipper, skr mini e3, dual z.

re trammed the bed many times and tried different aggressiveness on the tramming (closer and further)

Seems to get better when the first layer speed is real slow, (5mm/s) but that greatly increases the print times.

smaller prints are fine, though there is occasional bed adhesion problems.

PXL_20230129_172258524.jpg

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Nozzle is too close to the bed. Your bed is warped or your Z height changes due to other issues.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Can also be filament temp too low or sticky nozzle, both promoting the filament sticking to the nozzle and getting lifted.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Can also be filament temp too low or sticky nozzle, both promoting the filament sticking to the nozzle and getting lifted.

I don't really see any difference from 190c to 230c.

13 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nozzle is too close to the bed. Your bed is warped or your Z height changes due to other issues.

do you know what is acually happening to cause that behavior? I doubt the glass is warped. and the z-height is very stable with the dual drive z.

The bed height being to close seems like the most likely out of what is listed. which I guess implies that glass beds just always will require some type of adhesion assistance, since going much lower just results in the layer not sticking at all. kinda lame, glass bed so far feels like the least valuable upgrade even though people swear by it so much.

to add: by layer two it self corrects quickly, as the layers rise it pushes down on the bumps and eventually works its way out. the bottom of course looks really bad, but it doesn't result in a failed print.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

1 minute ago, Takumidesh said:

I doubt the glass is warped.

Funny you say that, the glass that came with my Ender3 v2 was warped. I dumped it out within days and never looked back.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Funny you say that, the glass that came with my Ender3 v2 was warped. I dumped it out within days and never looked back.

! wow.

I was under the impression that the glass was less likely to be warped. this is an aftermarket bed, amazon 'voyageX' had good reviews. maybe I will bring it in to work on monday and put it on the surface plate.

19 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

-SNIP-

Normally this is the height as others have said, of course make sure to clean the glass off really well with isopropyl but that propagation across the print happens when a little filament oozes around the nozzle and it progressively gets worst. 

Just now, W-L said:

Actually IPA removes the surface coating Creality uses on their beds, so I would NOT recommend them to use IPA to clean the bed.

Just now, Levent said:

Actually IPA removes the surface coating Creality uses on their beds, so I would NOT recommend them to use IPA to clean the bed.

Their glass is just textured they added a coating now on their new units?

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Just now, Levent said:

I will try that, it isn't a creality official bed, so I am not sure there are any coatings on it.

at least visually it looks like a pretty bog standard glass panel.

Just now, W-L said:

Their glass is just textured they added a coating now on their new units?

The texture is actually a layer of coating.

looking at the patterns, I think the cleaning may be a bigger aspect than I thought.

Some of the spots seems to be right in previous print spots where I put my grubby little fingies on the glass.

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

The texture is actually a layer of coating.

4 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

looking at the patterns, I think the cleaning may be a bigger aspect than I thought.

Some of the spots seems to be right in previous print spots where I put my grubby little fingies on the glass.

That's actually etched but they painted the glass, I've not seen the black paint come off before with alcohol but if it's happened then definitely go with something like glass cleaner, or a <50% isopropyl so it's less agressive. 

after my last print finished, I cleaned the hell out of the glass and that seems to be it! of course it was so simple...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 7:44 PM, Takumidesh said:

! wow.

I was under the impression that the glass was less likely to be warped. this is an aftermarket bed, amazon 'voyageX' had good reviews. maybe I will bring it in to work on monday and put it on the surface plate.

Can confirm: my Ender 3 V2 glass is slightly warped right in the middle, so whenever I was leveling the bed in the corners everything looked fine until I started printing and the first layer was barely sticking 😕. I put 2 small sheets of aluminum foil in the middle between the glass and the heatbed + applied glue to the glass and now it prints just fine, idk if the aluminum sheets are helping or not but at least the first layer sticks lol.