What technical advancement in a year for a software??

Techsavy982

Visual dsp++ is IDE , compiler software from Analog devices for its Blackfin CPUs.

The dsp 3.5 released in 2004 is 200 mb in size while the version 4.0 is 700 mb in size , i mean what features does the software got accumulated in so less time to increase more than two fold...

Slight weird question I know..but I'm OCD patient guys ..pls don't be rude.. 

15 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

Visual dsp++ is IDE , compiler software from Analog devices for its Blackfin CPUs.

The dsp 3.5 released in 2004 is 200 mb in size while the version 4.0 is 700 mb in size , i mean what features does the software got accumulated in so less time to increase more than two fold...

Slight weird question I know..but I'm OCD patient guys ..pls don't be rude.. 

You'd have to read the change log from the developer to see what changes were made. 

3.5 could to that company be version 3 with 5 bug fixes. 

4.0 could have been in development since 3.0's release and be vastly more powerful. 

What did you find when you went to the developer's website? Was there a "changelog" or other version comparison? 

Version numbers don't tell you anything about how long it took to develop that version. It's entirely possible version 4 has been in development for several years. In the meantime version 3 will still receive bugfixes. Even if version 4.0 came out only a day after 3.5, that doesn't mean it was developed in a single day.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, fpo said:

You'd have to read the change log from the developer to see what changes were made. 

4.0 could have been in development since 3.0's release and be vastly more powerful. 

What did you find when you went to the developer's website? Was there a "changelog" or other version comparison? 

3.5 released in oct 2004 (200mb)

4.0 in Feb 2005 (700mb)

Also if PC softwares like ths and MATLAB back in 2002-2007 were around 1 GB in size ,so why in today's modern Android smartphone software counterparts like ide,c++ coder,debbuger etc are only abt 30-80 mb in size?

1 hour ago, Techsavy982 said:

4.0 in Feb 2005 (700mb)

When was 3.0 released? 

Also if PC softwares like ths and MATLAB back in 2002-2007 were around 1 GB in size ,so why in today's modern Android smartphone software counterparts like ide,c++ coder,debbuger etc are only abt 30-80 mb in size?

All depends on how they wrote the coffee and what choices they made. 

Could be a huge variety of things. 

I'm also not a fan of bloat in programs, but I can understand why that could happen.

For example, version 3 could have been written in C++ or Delphi and compiled only for Windows or Linux and for example, it could use built-in features of the operating system (internet explorer web view on Windows to display html pages/documentation)

The newer version may be built on top of an open source editor like Eclipse, Netbeans whatever, and these open source editors in turn may depend on open source things for portability, which in turn have dependencies and othercrap...  to have the whole thing compile to multiple operating systems. For example, instead of using Internet Explorer Web View which would not support latest CSS and Javascript and SSL and other modern things, the IDE may choose to bundle Blink / Chromium, basically Google Chrome, to display content.

I'm looking at a tool like KiCad (pcb design, circuit layout etc) - the installer of the latest version is 1.1 GB and I think it unpacks in around 2-4 GB ... sees to me like really badly optimized software, but has textures and models for 3d preview of pcb and tons of libraries of parts that waste space sitting uncompressed until someone happens to use them (if they ever do).

It's ridiculous how much disk space is used by some low quality models and textures.

9 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

4.0 in Feb 2005 (700mb)

Most likely development on version 4 began after version 3 was released. Version 3 switched into maintenance mode, receiving the occasional bugfix (3.1–3.5), while all active development happened on the branch that would eventually become version 4.0. It's entirely possible it was in development for a decade or more.

9 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

Most likely because these mobile programs are missing a bunch of stuff that's part of the desktop variant. It's also possible that Matlab on the desktop brings along a ton of libraries for best compatibility with various Windows versions. The Android binary doesn't need to bring them along, because the platform it is running on is more well defined/more restricted.

Compare the actual binary (.exe) of Matlab with the Android program. Check where most of its size is actually coming from (.DLLs or something else?)

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Most likely development on version 4 began after version 3 was released. Version 3 switched into maintenance mode, receiving the occasional bugfix (3.1–3.5), while all active development happened on the branch that would eventually become version 4.0. It's entirely possible it was in development for a decade or more.

Most likely because these mobile programs are missing a bunch of stuff that's part of the desktop variant. It's also possible that Matlab on the desktop brings along a ton of libraries for best compatibility with various Windows versions. The Android binary doesn't need to bring them along, because the platform it is running on is more well defined/more restricted.

Compare the actual binary (.exe) of Matlab with the Android program. Check where most of its size is actually coming from (.DLLs or something else?)

How you so sure that 3.0 keep receiving updates ?? Are you specially referring to VisualDsp software or every software like 3ds max,Premiere,Matlab etc keep getting bug fixes while higer version remains under development?

5 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

How you so sure that 3.0 keep receiving updates ?? Are you specially referring to VisualDsp software or every software like 3ds max,Premiere,Matlab etc keep getting bug fixes while higer version remains under development?

Many programs go into "maintenance" where they don't add new features, or the features they add are very small. 

When you change things about a program you increase the number. 

Major version

Minor version 

Really minor version

3.5 is major 3, minor 5. 

The version of the program is version 3. 

However, it has had 5 notable bug fix updates. 

Picture modern video games. 

Counter strike global offensive came out in 2012. 

The counter strike source came out in 2004. 

These are distinctly two majorly different versions of the game. 

Counter strike global offensive gets an update. 

Is counter strike global offensive a new game? 

No, it's still counter strike global offensive. Instead we can it counter strike 4.1

Why?

Counter strike 1.6 came out in 1999

Counter strike condition zero came out 2002~

Counter strike source came out 2004

Counter strike global offensive came out 2012. 

These are all the same game, but each version is distinctly different and is a major improvement. 

When global offensive is updated it gets a bigger minor number. 

The updates made to counter strike source to make it work on Linux were made after counter strike global offensive came out. 

So counter strike source was version 3.512 in the year 2012. 

In 2014, counter strike 4.0 was 2 years old. Then, counter strike source gets updated and becomes counter strike 3.513. 

The updates happening to counter strike source fix the game, but don't have anything to do with counter strike global offensive. 

If this makes any sense

5 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

I'm talking in fairly general "this is how software is usually developed" terms, not specifically about VisualDsp.

What I mean is that 3.5 is likely just a bug fix/maintenance release for version 3.

It's entirely possible that development on version 4 started after the initial release of 3.0.

So you're not just looking at 1 year of development (3.5 > 4.0), but rather multiple years (3.0 > 4.0)

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'm talking in fairly general "this is how software is usually developed" terms, not specifically about VisualDsp.

What I mean is that 3.5 is likely just a bug fix/maintenance release for version 3.

It's entirely possible that development on version 4 started after the initial release of 3.0.

So you're not just looking at 1 year of development (3.5 > 4.0), but rather multiple years (3.0 > 4.0)

But it seems like if you have visited analog devices website and read all stuff..!

However ,i have also seen from 3ds max 5 to 3ds max 9 they have same user interference and almost same features only the size differs max 5 bein 415 mb max 9 bein 1 GB..

Any comment on this bro?? Please !

Another thing to consider is that semantic versions aren't always developed linearly.

version 4 could have been in development before version 3 was even released.

If there is an expectation for a big change in the coming years (for example, changing from 32 to 64 bit, or between operating systems, or other hardware changed) it could be the case that one team is working on the version 3 release and another team is working on the 'next gen' release.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

3 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

But it seems like if you have visited analog devices website and read all stuff..!

No, I haven't. But I have been working as a software developer for over a decade, so I have some idea how that process works.

However ,i have also seen from 3ds max 5 to 3ds max 9 they have same user interference and almost same features only the size differs max 5 bein 415 mb max 9 bein 1 GB.

As @fpo said above, I you want to know in detail, you'll need to find and read their change logs. I'm not going to read 4 years of change logs for you (Wikipedia tells me they were released in 2002 and 2006). There's probably a ton of under the hood changes that aren't immediately obvious.

Even if the user interface you see when first opening the app hasn't changed (much), that's typically only a tiny portion of the UI that's built into an app. To see additional UI you'll likely need to explicitly interact with new functionality.

The user interface also likely only contributes a small part to the app's overall size. My guess would be that included materials, 3D objects, textures, sample scenes, import/export functionality and a ton of other stuff is responsible for most of it.

If you have access to both versions, try looking at size change by file type. For example compare executable (.exe), libraries (.dll) and other files, which of them contributes the most to the app's overall size, and which file type has increased in size the most between releases?

On 1/30/2023 at 2:39 AM, fpo said:

When was 3.0 released? 

All depends on how they wrote the coffee and what choices they made. 

Could be a huge variety of things. 

3.0 in Jan 2002

On 1/29/2023 at 11:50 PM, fpo said:

Hey buddy, also 3.0 and 3.5 has exact same system requirement of a p3 cpu and just 26 mb Ram ..(why so low) even for 3.5 released in 2004?

Just now, Techsavy982 said:

Hey buddy, also 3.0 and 3.5 has exact same system requirement of a p3 cpu and just 26 mb Ram ..(why so low) even for 3.5 released in 2004?

While 4.0 requires p4 and 256 mb Ram !

3.0 in Jan 2002

So that's 3 years between 2002 & 2005.

The company has 3 years of adding features and stuff. 

3 and 3.5 are the same program. 3.5 has minimal changes. 

While 4.0 requires p4 and 256 mb Ram !

So... 3 years of changes brought about a hugely different version and that's why the storage requirement changed so much. 

I don't know what they did, how or why but they were able to work on 4.0 for an estimate of 3 years. 3.5 likely had minimal features added since it's still a version 3 variant. 

4 hours ago, fpo said:

3 and 3.5 are the same program. 3.5 has minimal changes. 

Here's the release notes for 3.5: https://download.analog.com/tools/16bit_Update_Release_Note.pdf

Note this sentence on the very first page:

The primary purpose of VisualDSP++ Updates is to address problems and stabilize the release. Significant
new functionality is not expected to be introduced in an Update

(emphasis mine) In other words, all 3.x versions basically only fix issues that were discovered since the 3.0 release. There's no reason why this should increase system requirements. In contrast version 4 introduces new functionality, which is why requirements are increased.

It's basically as I said above. Once version 3 is released it goes into maintenance mode and only receives bug fixes and minor updates. The company is meanwhile working on version 4, that will introduce all the new stuff. So that one increases system requirements and space needed.

Here's a getting started guide for version 4, that contains a chapter titled "New Features in Release 4.0":

https://www.analog.com/media/en/dsp-documentation/legacy-software-manuals/4365032078788740_get_started_guide.pdf

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Here's the release notes for 3.5: https://download.analog.com/tools/16bit_Update_Release_Note.pdf

Note this sentence on the very first page:

(emphasis mine) In other words, all 3.x versions basically only fix issues that were discovered since the 3.0 release. There's no reason why this should increase system requirements. In contrast version 4 introduces new functionality, which is why requirements are increased.

It's basically as I said above. Once version 3 is released it goes into maintenance mode and only receives bug fixes and minor updates. The company is meanwhile working on version 4, that will introduce all the new stuff. So that one increases system requirements and space needed.

Here's a getting started guide for version 4, that contains a chapter titled "New Features in Release 4.0":

https://www.analog.com/media/en/dsp-documentation/legacy-software-manuals/4365032078788740_get_started_guide.pdf

Great answer !

Also what's with LabVIEW 8.0 then 8.2 and 8.2.1 all released after another with same system requirements and their manual asks for exact same HDD space for all three versions !!

2 hours ago, Techsavy982 said:

Great answer !

Also what's with LabVIEW 8.0 then 8.2 and 8.2.1 all released after another with same system requirements and their manual asks for exact same HDD space for all three versions !!

Oh boy...

How many programs are you going to ask the same question about? 

22 minutes ago, fpo said:

Oh boy...

How many programs are you going to ask the same question about? 

Sorry sorry..but just told you OCD sufferer here..! I mean the same aspect applies to LabVIEW program too??

8 ,8.2 nd 8.2.1 are all same with just bug fixes??

How about you read the Release notes before asking, to find out what's changed between them.

But basically, generally  versions numbers are like this  MAJOR  .  MINOR . UPDATE / PATCH  ... So  8 , 8.2 , 8.2.1 is same major version (8) , 8.2 is minor release (some features added, not big enough to be worth calling it 9)  , 8.2.1  is a patch to version 8.2  

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

2 minutes ago, Techsavy982 said:

Sorry sorry..but just told you OCD sufferer here..! I mean the same aspect applies to LabVIEW program too??

8 ,8.2 nd 8.2.1 are all same with just bug fixes??

As far as most programs go, it will apply to every program. 

The leftmost number is the "major version"

That's basically the only number that matters. 

SOMETIMES... The second number has some additional features. These are often rare and not in advanced. 

The third number is never important unless you're looking for a very specific bug fix. 

If you're collaborating in a company, it's best to have the exact same version. 

Sorry sorry..but just told you OCD sufferer here..!

Don't take my phrasing the wrong way. 

Don't stress your OCD or other things whatever psychiatrists decide to label personalities. It's not good for your self confidence. 

What I am meaning to say is "that is the answer." So in a way I'm trying to teach you that sometimes if you're not getting something, try reading through again. I don't mean to belittle you, but sometimes we all need to slow down and read through things a few times. 

And then if we have a question, we have to ask if that question is our personal misunderstanding, or assumption. 

It did take a while to explain that 3.0 and 3.5 are very similar and 4.0 releasing a year after 3.5 doesn't mean it only took a year to make. 

So what I'm trying to say in this post is:

1. Don't worry about your personality. OCD, anxiety, ADHD... Whatever you "have" doesn't matter. 

2. Sometimes we need to take a moment and read and re-read. 

3. Sometimes the answer is explained, but we need to question if our own misunderstanding is because of what we assume and subconsciously refuse to see. 

I won't comment anymore because I've been yelled at too many times for trying to instill confidence into people convinced they are mentally deficient or by people telling me I'm negligent to feelings.

Plus it'll derail the thread which is against the forum rules.