WIN 10 APPS won't view JPG files;says I need to reinstll the pp

I DBL-Click on a JPG, or any graphic file, and it says that the Windows app is not working, corrupt or missing. Says I need to reinstall.

How can I search the WIN 10 Home system for any/all missing/corrupted apps and then reinstall either all default apps or just the ones found to be the issue?

I've never had this type of issue even as far back as Windows 95.

I'm not a newbie, but this baffles me.

Please help if u can, perhaps a 3rd party software does the scan?

THANKS@!

RE-INSTALL THE APP WIN 10.png

47 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

I DBL-Click on a JPG, or any graphic file, and it says that the Windows app is not working, corrupt or missing. Says I need to reinstall.

How can I search the WIN 10 Home system for any/all missing/corrupted apps and then reinstall either all default apps or just the ones found to be the issue?

I've never had this type of issue even as far back as Windows 95.

I'm not a newbie, but this baffles me.

Please help if u can, perhaps a 3rd party software does the scan?

THANKS@!

RE-INSTALL THE APP WIN 10.png

First thing to try is to open an admin command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW, this will check certain system files for missing/ corrupt ones and replace with good copies.

Next head to the Settings app from the Start Menu, on the left column select Apps, choose installed apps, find the problem apps in the list and click the 3 dot menu next to them, choose options such as reset this app/ reinstall this app etc, depending on what you need.

You can also go to the MS Store, choose the Library icon and choose check for updates, this should update/ fix any apps supplied with Windows that might not be working.

If all the above fail to sort the issue you can choose to install Windows over the current copy, sometimes called a repair install, this keeps your apps and settings but re installs the core OS files and settings.

There are tutorials on sites such as tenforums and elevenforums for how to do a repair install.

A point to mention is to use HDSentinal or similar to check your disks for errors as that may be the cause of file corruption.

Maybe you should also run "chkdsk /f /r c:" on all of your partitions/disk drives (run the command not only for c:). This will check if you file system is OK. Maybe your second issue with file operations not immediately visible have a common source of problem.

The path in your screenshot looks strange. Are there really this characters in the path?  "f:\(                    SAMSUNG...."

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 2:11 PM, RiffTheRaff said:

Are there really this characters in the path?  "f:\(                    SAMSUNG...."

YES, so it can appear higher in folder listing alphabetically.

On 1/25/2023 at 9:37 PM, DigitalGoat said:

First thing to try is to open an admin command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW, this will check certain system files for missing/ corrupt ones and replace with good copies.

Next head to the Settings app from the Start Menu, on the left column select Apps, choose installed apps, find the problem apps in the list and click the 3 dot menu next to them, choose options such as reset this app/ reinstall this app etc, depending on what you need.

You can also go to the MS Store, choose the Library icon and choose check for updates, this should update/ fix any apps supplied with Windows that might not be working.

If all the above fail to sort the issue you can choose to install Windows over the current copy, sometimes called a repair install, this keeps your apps and settings but re installs the core OS files and settings.

There are tutorials on sites such as tenforums and elevenforums for how to do a repair install.

A point to mention is to use HDSentinal or similar to check your disks for errors as that may be the cause of file corruption.

I'm trying UR ideas right now. thanks, I will report back.